The Sewing Place

Embellishment overload - no such thing is there?

Marniesews

Embellishment overload - no such thing is there?
« on: March 16, 2019, 06:13:22 AM »
The overload isn't on a dress but was definitely in my head being surrounded by the lovely, the sparkly and the completely over the top.

Good news, I finally paid my first visit to New Fan Trimmings (St Titchfield St, Central London) on Thursday...but bad news, only for a tantalising 25 minutes before it closed. In that time I only had time to walk around  about a quarter of the not very big ground floor area and buy some yellow boas for an Easter Chick ballroom dress (there'll be more of that elsewhere I can promise you) and choose some of their coloured metallic chains to experiment with as latin dress embellishments.

It was near the end of a busy day so there was no grab and go left in me and I didn't have a chance of getting downstairs. I did see a list of some of the things down there so I know I've got to get back as soon as I can. I've just added some links to their website and realised the marked prices I thought I'd paid were VAT exclusive but I don't even care.

This place was enthusiastically suggested to me by a lovely Scottish embroiderer (lovely both in personality and creativity) at the last Ally Pally show. I hardlly saw anything but I entirely know why she did.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Efemera

Re: Embellishment overload - no such thing is there?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 07:52:42 AM »
I missed that one... I visited VV Rouleaux when I was in London. Few weeks ago... I was sorely disappointed, they didn’t have anything I couldn’t get locally at half the price.

Alangus

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 15:57:10 PM »
I know Fan trimmings - they have some nice things and its really packed. I also like Barnet Lawson  which is quite near to FAN - its a bit different - less sparkly embellishments and lots of fringes, elastics, beads, appliqués at good prices. It is in a basement and you have to ring the bell but its very friendly.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 22:01:16 PM »
Thank you for the tip @Alangus . That sounds like a must-see for my list. Do you have any great value sources for lycra fabrics in London including prints?

I've still not found my way to Goldhawk Rd but am not sure if I can expect to find much of it there although I'm thinking they may have lots of fancy stuff & lace for ballroom skirts.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

jintie

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 07:22:28 AM »
Fabricland in Bristol has lots of lycra in bright colours- there are theatres here. It is part of a chain that sella online - check there for their prices.
Rottweiler with scissors

Alangus

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 12:19:49 PM »
Thank you for the tip @Alangus . That sounds like a must-see for my list. Do you have any great value sources for lycra fabrics in London including prints?

I've still not found my way to Goldhawk Rd but am not sure if I can expect to find much of it there although I'm thinking they may have lots of fancy stuff & lace for ballroom skirts.

Hi Marniesews

Goldhawk Road would be good for ballroom skirts and embellishments. It has all sorts of shops that sell many types of fabrics - its great for silks (satin, habotae, sandwashed, chiffon, crepe, twill, taffeta - all kinds) embellished silks, sequins, laces, polyester satins, chiffons, crepes etc, cottons and printed cottons, African prints. There is a shop that sells a lot of end of line liberty print fabrics. In terms of stretch fabrics there are a few places that sell lycra, stretch net and power mesh, metallics, stretch sequins and velours. There are many places that sell nice laces and shiny things. The places I would try for Lycra and mesh are Classic Textiles, A One Fabrics, A to Z fabrics and Tonis Textiles (all at the Goldhawk Road tube end). Id walk towards Shepherds bush end for laces, silks etc - Goldbrick Fabrics has some beautiful things - laces and embellished and UK fabrics has amazing Italian silks in his basement area.

I like Rolls and Rems - there are two branches I think, they have lycra as well as dressmaking fabrics, cottons, sparkly things and various others - the prices are good - probably about the same as Goldhawk Road. Dalston Mill Fabrics in Ridley Road market sells some lycra, some metallics, lots of sequins -  and a wide variety of fabrics that look like they would be suitable for dance wear and theatre. I have not bought much there though, just browsed. Like Goldhawk Road - both of those are about what is there at the time.

There is also a Fabricland in Kingston - not too far - they do sell lycra and stretch, though I have not bought them. You can check out their website and ring in advance to see if it is in stock - sometimes the website has vouchers for money off if you buy in store. I buy from them online sometimes and just bought about 10m of poly habotae and chiffon for a school production - the prices were excellent for that quantity.

I think the lycra in all the above places was cheaper than Chrisanne or Trim and either the same as or more expensive than Tia Knight. The thing is that they are all different weights, feels, quality. I like the consistency and quality and fibre content of Chrisannes lycra, stretch net and mesh - but it all depends on what you are doing.

If I had to choose between the three places I'd go to Goldhawk Road because there are so many shops.

Berwick Street also has some very nice fabric shops - more expensive though and more woven than stretch and dance wear as far as I know. Several of them supply the film and tv costume industry with lovely fabrics - especially Borovicks, and The Berwick Street Cloth Shop, but there are loads more. I wouldn't go to Berwick street if I was on a tight budget though.

For non lycra fabrics I like to check out Woollcrest, its a big warehouse in Hackney that has lots of rolls of end of line fabrics. The are great for wool and also have  t-shirt fabrics, poly chiffons, crepes, satins, masses of crystal organza, printed cottons and viscose, and lots of linen and calicos. They also usually have a section with sequinned and lace fabrics, they sometimes have crochet lace and giuypure lace, and some basic tulle/net, there is sometimes stretch lace but not of the best quality. The quality is not high end, though occasionally you will find something amazing, but the prices are very good - poly organza and poly chiffon is £1.50/£2 a metre, Ive bought silk chiffon for £4 per m but they don't always have silk. However you can never rely on anything being in stock as it changes all the time. The wool selection is, however, always amazing and seems to be mostly £5-£7 a metre for some really lovely fabric. Oh and fake fur too, and upholstery fabric at great prices for very nice cloth. Its more a go and see what you can find kind of place. I bought lots of fabric there for a school production, when you buy a whole new roll the prices are even better - it is good for that kind of thing. Don't expect too much customer service though, its not like a shop, you just go and rummage and find what you need. Nothing is marked with a price you have to ask.

Phew! writing that allowed me to procrastinate about a load of other things :- - Hope is helps - I'd be happy to do a fabric meet up with you sometime if you like.

Al

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 00:49:16 AM »
Wow, @Alangus that was wonderful! Thank you so much for all that detail and guidance. When I'm back home I'm going to write notes & use google street view to get my bearings. You bet I'd love a meet up and fabric crawl! Couldn't go until after 14th April but after that I'm pretty free.  :D

I've only visited the Fabricland in Salisbury @jintie but I've certainly bought lycra lining & tulle from them in the past. Wasn't as keen on their coloured lycra generally speaking. I must admit I was put off them for a long time by their absolutely rot-your-brain-hideous website - very basic & clunky even now but unbelievably awful previously. Should have had a govt health warning back then.