The Sewing Place

What to make for my "broken" dancer

Catllar

Re: What to make for my "broken" dancer
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 14:47:05 PM »
How's she getting along? Improving?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 05:54:02 AM »
Elnnina, thank you for sharing your experiences - I'm so sorry that you've having such a difficult time.  It's hard to understand how some of us fall & get up with no ill effect and others are impacted for the rest of their lives.  My DD1 has found that since she looks fine, people don't understand how badly injured she is. 

DD1 is finally making progress - she's allowed to get her heart rate up to 120 bpm.  And she got to spot her head and make 5 slow turns!  Her physiotherapist is talking about setting goals - no wild rolling around on the floor yet (her true love is contemporary/modern) but perhaps a return to the barre.  She has an offer to attend a uni ballet class on a 'as able' basis.  Her uni courses are limited to an online course on labour studies - she's finding that she needs more time for writing.  Her school has an access center to help students with disabilities whether permanent or temporary.  She has some cognitive issues but hopefully those will clear as her balance returns - constant nausea for 3 months can't be good for concentration.  Her school has also improved their emergency response protocols due to her accident and the death of a student at the main campus.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Sewingsue

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 07:37:39 AM »
Thank you for keeping us up to date. Good to hear she is making progress however slowly and that she is getting help and support from the university.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 21:55:10 PM »
I thought I should update on how DD1 is doing.  She started making real progress in January.  She's gone to the uni ballet class - only doing about half.  She said it felt weird and good at the same time after so long without being able to move.  I finally got to bring her home last weekend and she's back at work in an office full time - she's home until school starts in September.  She only needs to be at the clinic every other week.

She's doing well emotionally now.  Just like last time, she's planning on grabbing every opportunity that she can.  She's now thinking that she'll do an honours dance degree as she'll only need to add 1 extra course to her last 2 years & possibly adding a labour studies minor.  There is an internship in the works.  And she's thinking of going to Europe next summer for a dance intensive.
Stashbusting 2022

Missie

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 11:24:56 AM »
That's fantastic news @MitchOfTheNorth .  Well done to your daughter.

Roger

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 16:56:34 PM »
thats great news Mitch!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Sewingsue

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 18:00:58 PM »
That is good news, Mitch  <3
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Marniesews

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 18:43:04 PM »
Coming late to this thread it's quite a read. I'm delighted to hear of your daughter's progress @MitchOfTheNorth . All of us with dancing daughters (or granddaughters) have to read this with our own hearts in our mouths.

She sounds one very determined and focussed young woman who deserves the greatest of success and personal satisfaction from here on in - she's had more than her quota of physical challenges already.  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 18:20:07 PM »
Thank you all for your well wishes.  And I have even better news - she was tentatively cleared at her last visit.  Happy dances and sighs of relief all around.  She'll get her return-to-play letter after she completes a new baseline assessment in late August.  So, now it's physical reconditioning which she is in charge of.
Stashbusting 2022

Missie

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 11:45:41 AM »
@MitchOfTheNorth  that is fantastic news!