The Sewing Place

Help - zip repair, replace or ditch?

Missie

Help - zip repair, replace or ditch?
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:51:35 AM »
I have a lightly padded jacket that I love but the zip has just broken.  The end stopper that goes into the base of the zip has broken; the plastic bit on the front has gone although the bit at the rear is still there, if that makes sense.  Can I just sew a stopper with waxed thread (and maybe a dab of clear nail varnish) or will it need a new zip, or worse be ditched.

Help me save my beloved jacket, pleeeaaaassssse! (the rest of the jacket fine).

Thanks,

Missie

Sandra

Re: Help - zip repair, replace or ditch?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 13:12:22 PM »
I've never tried to mend a zip. I'd just replace it.

But it is my job, so it's second nature to me.

Sandra.
xxx

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 13:41:21 PM »
Zippers actually come in different sizes. If you still have the pull, you may be able to do as you say wirh thread, but lining it up correctly may be problematic if there is any damage to the teeth.

If you do not feel confident to do the repair yourself, you may be able to save yourself some money by finding a proper replacement zipper yourself and taking it in with the jacket to an alterations person. Sourcing a correct zipper can easily take an hours time (or more) depending on the zip.

Radiofan

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 15:58:01 PM »
If it's just the end-stop, you can by a replacement metal "zipper bottom stop", that you just crimp on with pliers. Cut the old plastic off, position the new stop and just squeeze the pliers hard. I'm sure there are youtube videos on the subject.

Important thing is size. There is sometimes a number on the under-side of the zipper pull, No. 3 or 5 usually. You can buy the stops on eBay.

Alternatively, you can as you say, use a heavy-weight thread, just wind around a few times.

Another method is to melt the plastic using a soldering iron, maybe joining two teeth, shaping it such that the zipper won't come off.

Bit of a shame to ditch a garment because of something so small. Also bit of a shame to replace the whole zip when it can be repaired so easily.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 16:06:39 PM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 16:31:57 PM »
There's no harm in trying to repair it.  If it doesn't work you're no worse off
Life's too short for ironing.

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 17:57:34 PM »
As Radiofan says, you can just buy a replacement zipper bottom stop as seen here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZIP-ZIPPER-BOTTOM-STOP-STOPPER-REPAIR-IN-5-FINISHES-SIZES-3-5-8-10-UK-/292054607511 and crimp it on. I've done this with top stops and it was easy enough.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 19:10:21 PM »
Get your stitch ripper out, I've done two of DH's and one was ancient, very satisfying, and it cost him ;) 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included