The Sewing Place

How do you hold your knitting needles?

Lyn-J

How do you hold your knitting needles?
« on: December 20, 2018, 18:01:13 PM »
I hold my right knitting needle for underneath. Is this unusual? I can't find an videos of anyone doing the same  :S
It comes natural, but now I wonder if I'm awkward

HenriettaMaria

Re: How do you hold your knitting needles?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 19:07:38 PM »
You mean like a pencil?  I've seen it done that way.  I hold them from above fork-and-knife style. 

The next question, of course, is in which hand the yarn is fed.  I was taught at school to hold it in my right hand, but relearned to hold it in my left, crochet-wise, from some Bavarian ladies who though me very odd.  In fact, I now prefer the left hand technique because my tension's better that way.  And it's faster, especially for ribbing - you only move your left index finger forward and back between the needles.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 19:20:10 PM »
From above, which is said to be more efficient than pencil style. My mother always tucked the right needle under her arm, and only moved the left needle and the yarn which is supposed to be more efficient again, but I've never mastered that. There are many ways of knitting, and most of them are right; you do what you were taught/find easiest.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 20:24:24 PM »
I always used to hold my right needle from underneath until I developed carpal tunnel in my wrist and arthritis in my thumb joint and I find it more comfortable now to hold it on top.  I also now knot with interchangeable needles and was they are very short it's not really possible to hold them from underneath.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 22:01:31 PM »
I hold the right needle on top (knife hold?) and use either the middle finger to wrap the yarn, more likely with knits, or the index finger to wrap the yarn, more likely with purls, but I canuse either finger for either stitch.  I also put whichever finger under/behind the yarn to wrap it around the needle, I have a lot more control that way, a lot of people put their right index finger in front of the yarn and push it around.  I let go of the right needle every time but I don't drop the yarn.

There is no "correct" way to knit, it's whatever you find easiest, quickest, gets an even tension and doesn't inadvertantly produce twisted stitches.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Esme866

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 05:26:01 AM »
I also knit "bavarian style". My mom is German. The left pointer finger acts as a tension control.

I've never understood how most Americans knit......let go of the right needle and use the right hand to wrap the thread around the needle.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 09:22:56 AM »
I find it difficult to understand why (right handed) people prefer to knit continental/German which means that all the work is done with the left hand!  The English/American way uses the right hand for tensioning.  I can knit continental, but the tension goes to pot.  But, everyone is different, its what works for you.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »
I had to pick up my knitting to find out how I do it - left hand over, right hand under and index finger controlling the wool.  That's how my Mum taught me, and I can go very fast and smoothly that way.

Knitting with the needle fixed under one arm comes from Scottish (Shetland at least) knitters, many years ago, knitting while they were walking or doing other work, to make extra money.  Incredible skill!  I can knit and read if I'm doing something fairly plain or regular, but only while sitting down!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 10:51:18 AM »
I also now knot with interchangeable needles ...
That pretty much sums up my attempts at knitting, regardless of the type of needles or how I hold them  :P

PollyWally

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 11:46:54 AM »
@Lyn-J I also hold both my knitting needles from underneath, I can remember my grandmother knitting like this.

Esme866

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 11:58:59 AM »
My Oma came to visit from Germany. She spent two days knitting (bavarian style) a cable knit sweater for my Mom. It took a third day to complete assembly and to buy and add the buttons.

She was a knitting machine!

I am no where near that fast. I get more bang for the buck with my sewing machine.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 12:47:38 PM »
I hold the right needle on top, and let go to wrap the wool - it's no wonder I'm so very very slow at knitting.  Thank goodness for knitting machines I say  0_0

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 13:20:39 PM »
Never much thought about it but I hold both needles under my arm and use my  right index finger to wrap the wool without letting go of the needles.  My mother taught me and said it made for more even knitting.  I seem to remember it took ages to master but never forgotten. I used to get the knitting bug every so often, but to  be honest the sewing machine is far superior in production and wool makes me too hot.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lyn-J

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 14:54:18 PM »
Glad to see there are a lot of different techniques, makes me feel less quirky, each to their own.  <3