The Sewing Place

what better to prepare for the hoidays - a trip to a quilting shop!

LeilaMay

Re: what better to prepare for the hoidays - a trip to a quilting shop!
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 17:24:13 PM »
Well the blocks are individually completed, and here they are laid out next to each other. There will be one row of additional squares (as the bed is longer than standard) which is here at the top but will be moving to the bottom :)

Tough colour to work with, grey, but Mr is very happy with it, and as his favourite colour used to beige I'm pleased he's managed to express choices and likes the result. That's enough sewing for today.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 17:38:24 PM »
Looking good  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

LeilaMay

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 16:09:56 PM »
Thank you :)

So the sewing together of the quilt top is now DONE  :toast: Here it is, spread out on the sofa (because the bed was covered in clean laundry LOL) sideways on but you get the idea.
Now another trip to Midsomer Quilts - getting to be regulars there - to chose the backing fabric and wadding, and probably to consider the edge binding colour.
(There is a formula for how much fabric one needs for that right? Goes off to search . . . )

Then I get to find out if my machines will be big enough to do straight line quilting on something this size. Fingers crossed.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Kad

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 16:48:38 PM »
I have an app on my ( android) phone that does all the calculations for you is
Backing fabric,
Binding fabric,
Border fabric including multiple borders
Fabric amount needed for a number of pieces of a certain size
Number of pieces of certain size that can be cut from a piece of fabric - good for stash busting  :)
Size of squares to sub-cut into HST's or QST's for setting triangles

It works in both metric and imperial units too

It's allied to Robert Kaufman but it was free to download. I found it by searching for quilting calculator and have found it to be really helpful
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

LeilaMay

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 16:58:25 PM »
Thank you, sounds great. I don't have any technical thing onto which one downloads aps (bit old school here) but I'm sure the info exsits somewhere online  :)

Deafoldbat

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 19:25:25 PM »
I'm sure the info exsits somewhere online 

Or you can just use pencil and paper and a bit of thought.

LeilaMay

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 21:05:40 PM »
 :D
Quite true. I did check out the suggested widths you need to cut the strips - never having done it before that seemed relevant - the source I was usng suggests 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch widths. Then as you say, it's the sum of the length of the four sides, the width of the bolt of fabric, and 'a spoonful for the pot'  :)

BrendaP

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 22:11:00 PM »
That looking pretty good.

2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch widths. Then as you say, it's the sum of the length of the four sides, the width of the bolt of fabric, and 'a spoonful for the pot'  :)

That's about it!  The sum of the length of the four sides, plus an inchor so for seam allowances, then work out how many strips across the width you will need to get to the total and multipy that number by 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 inches.  6-7cm if you are buying in metric measurements.  You generally need half-three quarters of a metre for a full size quilt binding.

The wadding needs to be a couple of inches bigger all round than the finishe top.  If it works out more ecconomical it is OK to have joins in the wadding.  Just butt two edges together and oversew together using stitches an inch or so long.  Once inside the sandwich even you won't be able to tell where the join is.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 02:20:17 AM »
As we already know,

The Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything  is 42 .... .... and this is true for binding too!!!

This is the number we use to determine how many WOF strips you must cut and join to make the binding for your quilt.

Quote from
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

renita

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 08:16:42 AM »
Looking lovely @LeilaMay.

LeilaMay

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 13:05:29 PM »
Sunday morning project . . .   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Acorn

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 13:34:29 PM »
Your kitchen is clearly just the right size!!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 14:50:32 PM »
Perfect (anyone else having a quick snoop at the edges of the picture to see the kitchen?)
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

LeilaMay

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 15:50:38 PM »
I didn't know looking at other people's kitchen was a thing? I hardly ever go in there myself, but it had the largest amount of clearable floor.
Here you go, complete with resident chef and half made cups of tea . . .  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Fairy lights are fairly obligatory in Glastonbury LOL

Gernella

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 16:31:12 PM »
Love that oven, or rather DH would love that oven, after around five years I still have to get the book out to find out how you switch ours on. I'm not exactly a domestic goddess.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included