The Sewing Place

Memory sewing? (Shirts)

Roger

Memory sewing? (Shirts)
« on: December 22, 2018, 14:01:50 PM »
Hi All,
I'm an extensive wearer of reasonably nice formal cotton shirts (I like interesting fabrics rather than patterns) but I'm interested in turning some of the ones with worn collars and cuffs into something for the kids - do any of you guys do this sort of sewing? what sort of items go down particularly well and are well appreciated over time?

Thanks,

Roger
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

fajita

Re: Memory sewing? (Shirts)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 14:09:12 PM »
I've made a memory cot quilt before, it was much appreciated by the child's grandmother.

At school the juniors use old shirts as painting aprons. You could de collar and de cuff and personalise so it stands out in a class of shirts.

Other than that, I have seen teddy bears on Pinterest made from old clothing for memory purposes.

Look forward to seeing what you decide.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 14:10:36 PM »
An extra thought, childrens' bedtime apparel. Nice cotton would be lovely.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 14:29:00 PM »
Quilts for college goers are very popular, especially in warm flannels from Dads shirts.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 18:50:10 PM »
How old are the kids?

For little tots you could just cut open all the seams and recut a smaller version of the same - maybe adding contrast collars and cuffs.

For older ones, if you have a variety of colours, or rather a variety of lights and darks, shirt fabric is ideal for turning into a quilt - anything from cot sized up to King size.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Roger

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 20:18:50 PM »
Hi All,
this could lead to a foray into the 'Dark Side' (Quilting and Piecing a Jedi does this not...) I have a little girl and a little boy who are 5 and 7 and will definitely not appreciate it :) but thats not a reason to look into it.

I think I'm probably looking at cushions or bed quilts for single beds.
all the shirts are cottons, and most in blues and whites (some herringbones, twills and poplins and the like)

P&Qing strikes me as being similar to baking - all about precision - which somewhat puts the wind up me :) although Im guessing but would am older straight stitcher be best for this sort of work?

R.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 22:57:40 PM »
Piecing (joining the patches) only requires a straight stitch so any machine from the oldest  :vintage: to the latest all singing all dancing  :sew: can be used.  The vintage ones are great and personally I prefer the small straight stitch foot to the bigger zig-zag foot.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 23:20:31 PM »

I think I'm probably looking at cushions or bed quilts for single beds.
all the shirts are cottons, and most in blues and whites (some herringbones, twills and poplins and the like)

How about a giant cushion/floor-cushion/beanbag.

If you've got lots of blues and lots of white search the web (Google) for two colour quilt patterns.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 09:40:55 AM »
 but would an older straight stitcher be best for this sort of work?

It would be (from what I hear) perfect for piecing.

Darksiders tend to work in inches, and use a quarter inch seam to piece ... but as long as your seam allowance is consistent and you allow for it in the measurements of the blocks you can use any seam allowance you choose.

Middle position of your needle to edge of your foot will probably be just under 1/2" ... Fabulous!!! use that if you wish ... just remember if you want 6" finished (ie sewn) squares on your top to add 2 x seam allowance before you cut ...
so using those (rough) measurements, cut 7" squares.

We have special 1/4" feet for the machine that have a guard/(blunt)blade to butt the fabric against, the theory being from the needle position to the edge of the foot/guard/blade is 1/4" but you don't need this at all ...
a piece of tape on the needle bed of your machine, a small stack of post-it notes or running the edge of your foot along the edge of the fabric by eye will all achieve the same thing.

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Roger

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 14:45:37 PM »
Thanks Im and Brenda for all the tips,

Maybe something like this (attached) Glad the vintage machines should do, the 201 has the most sensible harp space, the 500 is a nice set up tho, and has straight stitch plates/feet, stitch isnt quite as fine tho I suspect.

Should I give it a very fine backing like a muslin or similar?

I did wonder about a 'circular' (straight edges that make 360degrees, ie 10 36degree pieces that taper) Japanese style cushion, but I wasnt sure where to start with a filling, I also wasnt sure if the shirt fabric would take the kind of punishment a cushion gets...

Thanks for the advice around seam allowances.

Any equipment you'd strongly recommend?

Thank you!

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 15:07:21 PM »
If you fancy making a pieced floor cushion from your shirts then I'd definitely recommend either backing each piece before you piece it ( possibly losing the will to live in the process) or whacking on a fusible backing to the completed piece before you make it up. If you a) piece  then b) reinforce with fusible then c)  line it (use a lining fabric or a flannel ) then d) quilt all the layers ( pieced, fused, lined) then you'd have a reasonably tough piece of fabric to make into a floor cushion.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Roger

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 15:44:36 PM »
Thanks Catllar - that does sound like a route to madness - i suspect using a middling upholstery fabris would give a better longer lasting finish for floor cushions. :)

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 10:31:35 AM »
I think that Catlar's suggeston of adding fusible backing (heavyish iron-on interfacing) is good.  If you sew the patches together, press well and then a big piece of interfacing over each main section it will help reinforce the seams. 

Most patchwork seams are pressed to one side together; because opening then out and pressing one each way allows for the possibility of the wadding creeping through, but the interfacing would stop that.

Barcoded

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 17:28:27 PM »
As you were describing the fabrics, some sound special. Have you thought about new collars for your very favourite shirt(s)?
I think I have joined the 201 club