The Sewing Place

Disappointed of Cornwall! :(

Lowena

Disappointed of Cornwall! :(
« on: April 02, 2017, 19:47:34 PM »
Today I went to Exeter, to the Spring Quilt Festival / Show.
I should have been warned when I got on the coach and found that there were only 18people going from the whole of mid and west Cornwall.
There were hardly any punters at Westpoint, and the number of exhibitors was well down too ( on last year and the year before ) The workshops only had one or 2 participants :(
Oh well, I thought, lets peruse the quilts.....
Now, they were wonderfully skillful ( QS is right, you can easily tell the ones which have been blocked ) and fulfilled their various briefs... but....most of them were not really my  :drink:
Lots of wholecloth quilts, Japanese Sashiko ones, and very modern,arty, appliqed quilts / wall hangings.
I know they are all valid forms of quilting, but I have come to the decision that it is the patchwork element I like, I like to see blocks :) The others, I see, as more, fabric / textile art.
One cheering thing was, there was quite a lot of hand quilting to see.
Don't think I'll go next year.....I might try to substitute the FOQ at the NEC?

What did you think Imi ?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

Re: Disappointed of Cornwall! :(
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 20:31:29 PM »
Oh how sad that you were so disappointed and your day was spoiled. It could have been so different if there had been more exhibitors and people. Give the FOQ some thought for next year.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lantana

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 23:39:59 PM »
Aw sorry you were disappointed Lowena. I've looked at Iminei's pictures and I did see that you meant about QuiltySisters blocking technique being conspicuos by it's absence! As I love art quilts I really enjoyed looking at them but I do see what you mean and fully agree that a well rounded exhibition should ideally include the roots of the craft.*  As much as I enjoy and appreciate the clever ones they can also be a bit intimidating . :devil:

Reading your post I was reminded of my visitis to the Minerva Centre  in Llanidloes for their annual show. I'd be ohing and ahing at the arty stuff wondering how on earth they'd been done and my friend would be very scathing and go off in search of the 'proper' bed quilts. (Of which there would always be some, including old ones as they'd make a  point of displaying some from the large collection.)

http://www.quilt.org.uk/page-6-Our+Collection.html

* Some of you may have seen this? I find it very moving to feel a connection to that busy mother determided her 11th child would have his own quilt! I think I mentioned it once on TSF? It's been exhibited quite a bit and so it should be!

http://www.quilt.org.uk/index.php?topic=quilt&id=112&pict=1

L :vintage:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 00:32:12 AM by Lantana »

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 06:56:01 AM »
Lantana, do they still have the quilt show in Llani.  I do remember going to a quilt exhibition there about 25 years ago but can't recall seeing it advertised in recent years. 
I really must go into the Welsh Quilt Centre in Lampeter - I've never got round to it.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 09:04:47 AM »
Lots of wholecloth quilts, Japanese Sashiko ones, and very modern,arty, appliqed quilts / wall hangings.
I know they are all valid forms of quilting, but I have come to the decision that it is the patchwork element I like, I like to see blocks :) The others, I see, as more, fabric / textile art.

Whilst I very much enjoy looking at all of the techniques, and I like to have a try at a lot of them, I too am most drawn to the patchwork and always look to see how the blocks are put together.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lantana

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 14:55:46 PM »
Lantana, do they still have the quilt show in Llani.  I do remember going to a quilt exhibition there about 25 years ago but can't recall seeing it advertised in recent years. 
I really must go into the Welsh Quilt Centre in Lampeter - I've never got round to it.

I never got around to going to the Welsh Quilt Centre when I lived near enough either! The summer show at Llani (can tell you are a local ....  I'm so used to calling it that I had to look up it's full name before posting 0_0 ) is on between the 5th August and 16th September this year. I've not been for a while but I used to find it a lot less tiring than the bigger ones and also although there are things to purchase there is not so much temptation!

L :vintage: