The Sewing Place

Sashiko Machine

jintie

Sashiko Machine
« on: December 31, 2018, 12:58:06 PM »
Hi, has anyone else got once of these machines? What have you made on it? I bought one about 18 months ago, refused to listen to the dealer when he tried to demo it in my home, and spent months trying to rethread it. I eventually watched an online tutorial and realised that if I had listened I would have understood that it only looks like conventional threading but is certainly not. I haven't thought of a freehand project yet (Wabi Sabi style) but will probably start with a shopping bag as my old ones I made are beginning to wear out.
My local Oxfam shop has a craft corner that does a roaring trade - sells donated bits of cloth and threads and other habbie stuff. One person's reject is definitely another one's treasure !
Rottweiler with scissors

Mottymay

Re: Sashiko Machine
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 23:19:52 PM »
Sorry I haven't got one but I have lusted after one.
I do remember seeing some you tube videos on them and an American woman called Evy Hawkins who had written booklets (I think) on using the machines.  She has a web site called A Bit of Stitch and on there is a video of how to thread the machine so that may help. :)
I also kept this link in case I ever bought one.  It won't help with threading but should if you ever get started. https://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/babylock-sashiko-machine-tips-reduce-thread-breakage-b13272.html

Gernella

Re: Sashiko Machine
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 10:37:16 AM »
I have absolutely no interest in crafty things but these machines  fascinate me, the stitches are so beautiful.  I've had a look at the videos mentioned, well you never know.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included