The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s Year-Long UFO challenge 1.01.2019 - 31.12.2019

Manuela

Welcome to The Sewing Place’s year-long UFO challenge. The aim of this challenge is to support and motivate each other while completing as many UFOs as you can. We’ll hopefully run it until December 31st, there may or may not be a little prize for the person who finished the most UFOs. Anything goes, be it a quilt, a garment, an upholstery project, a bag..... lets do it, get them out and get them done!

Here is the UFO tracker

Existing UFOs:

Completed UFOs:

UFOs still to tackle:

While you don’t need to fill in admit to the first and the last number  ;), it would be great if everyone could keep track of how many UFOs they completed.
Please post a before and after picture.

Get up and tackle those UFOs!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 23:48:55 PM by Manuela »

mudcat

Re: The Sewing Place’s Year-Long UFO challenge 1.01.2019 - 31.01.2019
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 00:33:19 AM »
I like this challenge.  I have only two unfinished garments to deal with as far as I can recall.  But, I have a handful of quilts in various stages of completion so it would be nice to get them completed and off the fabric shelves.  I'll have to do an inventory later.

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 07:36:20 AM »
This is the challenge for me.  Thank you. Manuela.

Existing UFOs: 9 but I may find a few more smaller projects
Completed UFOs: 0
UFOs still to tackle: 9

1. DS1's disappearing 9 patch - currently being quilted.
2. Jan Hassard's Spirals - begun at a workshop over a year ago.  Has been worked on recently but a long way to go.
3. TSP Mystery Quilt - I love it but indecision over size brought it to a halt.
4. Swoon houses
5. Katharine Guerrier's Scrappy Houses quilt - begun when I was new and enthusiastic.  Some blocks are too big.  May become several smaller projects.
6. Stack and slash quilt - needs sashing.
7. MIL's quilt - not my MIL.  Bought at a car boot sale from someone whose mother-in-law had died.  It was short and wide and I took it apart to integrate my own fabrics.
8. 4 patch chain quilt - begun at a BOM class.  I hate it but have spent too much money on it to throw it in the mud and stomp on it.
9.  Jelly roll race - begun 4-5 years ago.  Only needs binding and has for 4-5 years. 

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 07:56:45 AM »
This sounds as if it was designed for me  :|
Are 'UFOs still to tackle' ones where you have the components, fabrics and patterns etc, but have never started?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 08:14:02 AM »
Are 'UFOs still to tackle' ones where you have the components, fabrics and patterns etc, but have never started?

These as well as anything you started and then put aside to ‘marinate’ and somehow didn’t go back to finish...
So, basically
    Existing UFOs
  - Finished UFO
= UFOs still to tackle

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 08:17:00 AM »
What Sue said...
At what point does a warehouse sized stash with plans and pictures and some sorting and folding become a UFO?  :o  :|

My gardening trews with the back to front pocket never got hemmed.
Hems required for check trews.
Assembling blocks for a log cabin quilt made after a workshop in 1996 (maybe). How do you decide which layout?!??!
A chunky winter skirt that started simple but the lady in the shop complicated it to the point of UFOness.
Curtains for a house that I no longer live in but could be adapted for this one.
Hems on bedroom curtains x 3 pairs  :| (including the ones that are up!!!!).  :|  :'(
This is all from the comfort of my sofa. I hate to think what the list would look like if I went and hoked in the cupboards.  :(

0_0

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
Assembling blocks for a log cabin quilt made after a workshop in 1996 (maybe). How do you decide which layout?!??!

Have you a pic, @wrenkins ?  If not, what colours are they? 

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 08:48:08 AM »
@wrenkins & @Sewingsue, the U& F in UFO stand for UnFinished, so to count as an UFO some sort of work should have been done on that piece of fabric.... Having ideas ans folding stash fabric is not enough  :)

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 09:23:39 AM »
@wrenkins & @Sewingsue, the U& F in UFO stand for UnFinished, so to count as an UFO some sort of work should have been done on that piece of fabric.... Having ideas ans folding stash fabric is not enough  :)
Thanks @Manuela
Still gives me a few items - but I think most are going to be on the Dark Side.
Garments are definitely in the 'got fabric and patterns and good intentions' category (oops, that means they could be SWAKOP candidates).

Runs away and hides.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 09:30:30 AM »
Is there a beginners guide to ‘sewing jargon’ section on the site anywhere?

I’ve gathered what the UF in UFO stands for and guessing the O is object?
SWAKOP sounds a bit scary, like a secret police raid on your fabric stash.  :devil:
(I dream of one day owning a stash of fabric...)

Unfortunately for me, a lot of you talk in a secret code that mere googling doesn’t always assist with. A pinned post or a ‘Beginners start here’ topic would be incredibly helpful. I had to look up ‘fussy cutting’ a while ago and it wasn’t at all what I imagined it might be!  :o :o

...I’m now wondering if this already exists and I’m just proving my numpty credentials by not having spotted it previously... :S  :| 

<scuttles off feeling a bit Billy no mates...>   :'(

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 09:37:30 AM »
Don't do that, dear @WildAtlanticWay .  You're Billy Loads-of-new-mates.

You'll soon be fluent in sewing-forum-speak.

SWAP is a thing on other sites (Sew with a plan) where people sew garments that fit a certain criteria.  SWAKOP is our version of that (sew with a kind of plan) because we like to make our own rules.

@WildAtlanticWay ... There are no stupid questions, if baffled, just ask!

Edited ... imi xxx  :P
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:48:36 AM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 09:44:48 AM »
I think I could be in for this one ....

Started and yet to finish ...

Novembers BOM top ... Quilting needs to be completed, then binding

Now Completed

TSP Star block swap ... Backing needs making, layering, quilting and binding

A Good Year for the Roses quilt ... the blasted butterflies need over embroidering, then binding

Illusion block quilt (remember that) ... Backing, Layering, QAYG, Binding

100 shades of grey quilt ... Fabric needs buying to finish the top, backing, layering, quilting and binding

These are just from my memory .... and there's plenty of things I have bought fabric for and planned but not yet started like (to my eternal shame) The TSP Challenge Royale and the Gourmet Quilters Star Quilt, both of which I might well look at again ... the stumbling block was colour choices in both.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 17:41:43 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

annieeg

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 09:50:42 AM »
@WildAtlanticWay
If it's any consolation I struggle with the acronyms also... :o
Annieeg

Pearl

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 09:55:19 AM »
So many beautiful quilts, @Iminei .  I love the quilting on the Nov BOM quilt.  When you did the star swap, I was still lurking.  I wanted to join in but was too shy.  (How times have changed!)  Hopefully, we'll do something like this again. 

Looking forward to seeing your finishes.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 10:13:53 AM »
I think I may be the odd one out - I don't think I have any UFOs  :o
I have a current work in progress (well, two actually), but I either finish things or chuck 'em out!  I have quite a few lots of plans/ideas that have the fabric and (choice of) pattern, but they are still in my head, not started.  In fact, I haven't done much sewing recently cos my wardrobe is full.
Do I sound a bit strange to you peeps?