The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s Year-Long UFO challenge 1.01.2019 - 31.12.2019

b15erk

Re: The Sewing Place’s Year-Long UFO challenge 1.01.2019 - 31.12.2019
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2019, 10:08:18 AM »
@wrenkins, the sewing was difficult because of the stabiliser I used.  It was awful stuff.  As stiff as buckram, but iron-on.  The adhesive didn't hold on the corners and towards the end, I had to stick it with fabric glue.  The stiffener itself was like sewing cardboard!  If yours is sturdy enough on it's own, I wouldn't use a stabiliser.

I eventually found the pattern Here.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »
Thanks @b15erk. As I sit, I remember all sorts of other canvassy stuff I have that was destined for bags. This would be a perfect pattern to start with and make a mess have a go. I can't see piping happening but who knows? If I don't do, I won't learn.  8)
Another idea I had was for a machine cover which would be the bag but with no base.  :S That one is still being thunk about.  0_0

Back to topic and I found some pyjama bottoms that I made last year to match my dressing gown. Oh look! No hems. Same as the gardening trews, also made last year. I'm not a fan of hemming. Would you guess?  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2019, 18:31:47 PM »
You're so clever @b15erk  !!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2019, 10:51:44 AM »
I failed miserably with my next UFO, the lovely Vogue 1395 Rebecca Taylor pattern.  After unpicking it, and re-doing the narrow hems on the ties, I went for the pattern to make some sizing alterations, and guess what? No pattern. It's gone, disappeared, vanished.  :(

So, rather than spend more time looking for it, I've moved onto the next one.  The Amelia Tea Dress.  Lovely, but came up huge after me doing my usual unnecessary alterations ... :S  Up to now, I've took the awful lining out, unpicked and re-done the neckline, and taken over an inch off the length of the bodice, which was making it hang down to my hips.  It's looking much better, and hopefully, I'll get the sleeves in tonight, and finish the side seams taking a bit more than the 5/8" seam.

If I manage to finish it, there will be pics tomorrow.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2019, 09:32:58 AM »
Amelia Teadress now done.  Not as I originally planned it, with a full lining, but with the neck fixed and sitting nicely, the shoulders narrowed a tad, and the whole thing taken in.

I'm very pleased with it, although it did take time to get it right.

On to the B&W jobby.  I've now found the pattern, and without taking it totally back to basics, I've made alterations which will make it wearable.  It's still a lot too big in the body, but it would mean unpicking binding and topstitching so I'll just fasten it a bit tighter.  I raised the shoulders a lot, which reduced the armhole, and raised the neck, and it's looking much better.  Just need to attach the skirt now, and the job is good.

I've attached a pic of the Amelia Tea Dress.

Jessie

Pearl

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2019, 18:17:17 PM »
What a lovely dress, @b15erk.  I dream of the day I can whip myself up a new dress. Dear Jessie, did you really need to revive this thread?  The wheels have truly come off my UFO wagon.

So here is the situation.

1. DS1's disappearing 9 patch - currently being quilted.  finished!
2. Jan Hassard's Spirals - begun at a workshop over a year ago.  Has been worked on recently but a long way to go. In one piece but I have no fabric for the borders.  Any advice warmly received.
3. TSP Mystery Quilt - I love it but indecision over size brought it to a halt. Top pieced, backing  pieced, wadding cut to size.  There is hope.
4. Swoon houses Haven't seen these for a while.   :S
5. Katharine Guerrier's Scrappy Houses quilt - begun when I was new and enthusiastic.  Some blocks are too big.  May become several smaller projects.  When I was preparing for the workshop last weekend, I picked up the fleece I was going to use to pin my bits to and there were scrappy houses.  If anyone would like a scrappy house mini quilt, I could join in the swap!

No progress to:-
6. Stack and slash quilt - needs sashing.
7. MIL's quilt - not my MIL.  Bought at a car boot sale from someone whose mother-in-law had died.  It was short and wide and I took it apart to integrate my own fabrics.
8. 4 patch chain quilt - begun at a BOM class.  I hate it but have spent too much money on it to throw it in the mud and stomp on it.
9.  Jelly roll race - begun 4-5 years ago.  Only needs binding and has for 4-5 years. 

In addition, I seem to have begun at least 4 new projects. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 18:20:41 PM by Pearl »

b15erk

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2019, 09:07:10 AM »
@Pearl , so sorry!  I had to regain space somehow, and between a Fabric Stash the size of a small country and UFO's clogging up every orifice - Something Had to be Done!  :)  That isn't including my alterations pile...

There, it's out in the open.  I don't want to do these UFO's and Stash challenges - I need to!  Don't worry, I have more to go at,  although as I don't quilt, mine are not taking up as much room as yours.

I haven't bought any meaningful fabric for ages either - although I did bag a couple of pieces off FB.  In my defence, they are earmarked for pyjama projects.

I 'finished' the Vogue 1395 last night.  It still needs the elastic adjusting (elastic too thin), and I think I need to try out a faux hem as it's too short for me.  Not really a 'me' dress - it adds more than a few pounds, but it's comfortable.

Pic attached.  Next up, the Bernina Shirtdress.  :S

Jessie

Greybird

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2019, 09:42:13 AM »
Lovely dress Jessie. Doesn't look too short but would look nice with a plain black(?) band at the bottom.

b15erk

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2019, 14:44:13 PM »
Comfy Fran, but not very flattering, also a bit short.  OK if you've got good legs, but that is something I wasn't blessed with!  :S

Jessie

Kenora

« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2019, 01:06:03 AM »
Well, if you don't think you've got good legs - I hate to think what you'd say about mine. :S Probably why I never wear dresses. Love the dress, by the way. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

annieeg

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2019, 06:17:01 AM »
@b15erk 
Lovely dress Jessie.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2019, 21:45:31 PM »
I've dug out a UFO, a knit dress I seem to have started in 2008 and abandoned part way through. I've done a bit more on it and tried it on and I sort of see why I abandoned it.

The front bodice is expecting length I don't have in the bust or between neck and bust, I've not left the opening for the ties (its a wrap dress). Its floor length (rather than tea dress length) and its in a very dramatic print.

I've learned a bit in that 11 years so maybe I can rescue it as a dress or cut it up into something else if not.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 21:47:58 PM by SewRuthieSews »

b15erk

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2019, 10:20:45 AM »
This one has been lurking in the UFO pile for at least 6 months, and was just plain tedious.  I always find black difficult to sew, but this was also mesh with and interlining.  The interlining slipped and slid away from the mesh as I sewed it, so it kept being put back on the pile.

Surprisingly, it behaved beautifully on the Coverstitch, and the stitch was even, with no tunneling (which I was half expecting). 

Now done, not sure I love it, but it's good for work, and doesn't need a vest underneath. It's showing up rather grey in the pics as it was sunny when I took the pictures.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2019, 09:17:04 AM »
This one has been lying in the UFO pile for ages.  I think the reason is, that I don't really know how I'll wear it - although it does look rather nice on.

It's a rather thin, but coarse linen I think, and it creases and frays like mad.

I finished it with snaps - just to get it done, so it doesn't look much like the pattern.

Like the Butterick, I somehow managed to forget the top stitching on the fronts.  Oh well.

Jessie

Cheesecake

« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2019, 15:53:17 PM »

I can update, I now have UFO’s 6.
Adding 2019 temperature quilt.

UFO’s:7

- 2x cushion covers using Mays BOM weave block- fronts not quite finished let alone quilting and finishing. DONE  :D
- nautical quilt for baby bump, now plan to use November’s BOM block for this.
- lap/cot quilt using Septembers BOM block in batiks.
- lone star cushion cover in batiks. No longer needed, Thank you @wrenkins
- trousers for my husband- mockup has been made for over a year and lost count of how many years he’s been pestering me for them.
- finish Christmas quilt I discovered I’d made the top for while I was hunting Christmas fabrics for BOM decembers Santa.
- curtains for spare room- I’ve had the fabric and supplies for a couple of years now.