The Sewing Place

Told You I'd Been Abducted and Swapped By Aliens!

Lowena

Told You I'd Been Abducted and Swapped By Aliens!
« on: January 01, 2019, 13:29:58 PM »
I'm seriously thinking of adding to my WIP and Ops.
** for the uninitiated, I don't normally do WIPs ( works in progress ) or OPs ( ongoing projects ) as I can't bear disarray.
I'm looking to make a temperature quilt There are lots of examples on Pinterest and some look very interesting indeed.
Would anyone care to join me??
It looks like it could be fun to compare and we could do regular updates ( monthly? ) to keep on track.
Not a competition but a loose sewalong with a definite theme.
Squares, strips, figures anything goes... even work out your own colour chart.
Please think about it ( needn't be onerous ) and Mr Google is your friend for ideas ;)

P.S. It doesn't have to be done daily - just note the temperature and sew the appropriate blocks when you have time ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 13:39:10 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

Re: Told You I'd Been Abducted and Swapped By Aliens!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 14:31:40 PM »
I am so tempted by this, @Lowena but it is less than an hour since I said to my mum, "I'm not going to start anything new until I've finished at least three projects." 

Since I undid three months of my knitted version because I didn't like two of the colours, I have been behind and have just entered August. 

I like this one.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 15:06:54 PM »
Not for me...I don’t like blues and purples and with the great British weather what it is...... :S

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 15:14:38 PM »
I think it sounds great. The variation throughout the country should be interesting too. I found two, one from Alaska and one from California; very different.
Here in temperate Fermanagh where it bobbles about from 9-13° I'd have to do some creative thinking to get a decent range of colours. @Efemera I too hate purples but we could just start yellow and workup to orange and red!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 15:22:56 PM »
Oh, no @Pearl ...three months worth was undone, and you're back in August?  :S I loved the look and the idea of your temperature blanket...what a pity you've come to a halt with it.

I'm on Pinterest and I'm looking at the quilts and I'm thinking whether I could join in...I've seen one where they've got the day and night temps which I like...great colours on it too.

I think I'm a maybe. I'm interested, 'cos I like the look of them...need to sort out fabrics etc.

I'd better start writing down the temperature...just in case.

Sandra.
xxx

WendyW

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 15:24:17 PM »
I'm working on a crocheted one for my granddaughter's first year. I'm working with two strands together- one for the day's high, and one for the low. Here in MN we easily have a 100+ (f) temperature swing, so all the colors will be well represented.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 15:37:49 PM »
HA!
9-13°C would be 48-55°F.
It's better already!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 15:43:24 PM »
Don't worry, @Sandra .  I haven't come to a halt.  I'm catching up now.

I used the accuweather website https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/coventry/cv1-3/month/326967?monyr=1/01/2019

I'm thinking of using till rolls as a foundation to keep my strips straight except that I'm not joining in, as I'm concentrating on my UFOs.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 15:45:11 PM by Pearl »

Sandra

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 15:51:29 PM »
Oh, dear.

I'm still on Pinterest...and I've started saving pins on there and making notes.

Sandra.
xxx

Sakar

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 15:58:59 PM »
I am so tempted by this, @Lowena but it is less than an hour since I said to my mum, "I'm not going to start anything new until I've finished at least three projects." 

That's really true  0_0

But I like the idea and I have already started a temperature chart for my town

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 16:15:48 PM »
9c here today and I have made a note..... come on girls, you know you want to  :devil:
I've worked out my temp / colour chart so I have ore aqua rather than proper green
I'm definitely going to give it a go.
Loved the one you found @Pearl  I'm back off to Pinterest ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 16:17:47 PM by Lowena »

Pearl

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 16:19:13 PM »
Oh, dear.

I'm still on Pinterest...and I've started saving pins on there and making notes.

Sandra.
xxx

Me too.  My new board may be called 'Temperature Quilt 2019'.   -<

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 16:24:24 PM »
You could start one and add it to your pile of UFOs @Iminei  :devil:

maliw

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 17:08:21 PM »
'Ooooh you are awful - but I like you' This may be dooable and I have a rainbow jelly roll that I've been wondering what to do with it - I've got to do these coats for DD ------------goes off muttering-------------
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 17:38:41 PM »
My lord @Lowena what has happened?

A quilt that will be hanging around for a whole year :S. I think I need a lie down.

I’ve seen the blankets and wondered how Pearl was getting on but never thought of a quilt.

Here’s me being rather proud of myself that for the past six months I have followed your mantra ‘finish one project before you start the next’ and you are going completely the other way!

Off to Pintrest for inspiration. It would be fun to compare at the end of the year if a few people had a go.