The Sewing Place

overlocker with stop/start button ??

annieeg

overlocker with stop/start button ??
« on: January 01, 2019, 15:21:22 PM »
I was wondering if there's an overlocker with a stop/start button (rather than a foot pedal) ?
Does anyone know of one?
Thanks in Advance
Annieeg

Ohsewsimple

Re: overlocker with stop/start button ??
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 18:27:12 PM »
Not as far as I know.  Is there a particular reason you want one?

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 21:39:00 PM »
That sounds quite scary. They're fast. How can you control that with a button?

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 22:03:53 PM »
I struggle sometimes. With the foot pedal slipping I thought the stop start button might be easier but the point about the speed of an overlocker is well made and I realise there's a good reason why they dont have that feature.
Thank you for your comment.
Annieeg

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 22:18:32 PM »
Have you tried a non slip mat under the foot pedal? Amazon have it by the roll, but the one I have was not much larger than the foot pedal. I don't use it now but it did the trick when needed.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Sewbusy

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 07:09:45 AM »
I was given some of this https://shop.rnib.org.uk/home-and-leisure1-1/home/non-slip-products/dycem-reel-blue.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpYrc8MLO3wIVEs53Ch2Y5wOzEAQYBSABEgIf8fD_BwE#fo_c=1594&fo_k=9589708f3502ce32dc06e25d537347e2&fo_s=gplauk
by the Community Occupational Therapy Nurse because I had no real 'grip' in my hands. It's great for securing bowls to the kitchen worktop, plates on trays etc. Sticky/tack on both sides a small rectangle would hold your foot pedal very securely to the floor, it's re-usable and can be wiped clean.

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »
I use some non-slip drawer liner from Ikea.  It comes in a roll and I cut a piece to fit under the foot pedal of each of my machines.  I've had it for years and can't remember exactly how much it cost, but definitely under a fiver. 

Sorry about my very abrupt post about the machine speed, I was in a rush and, on second reading, it came out a bit harsh!  Totally unintended.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 14:45:17 PM »
@annieeg I have the answer to all your problems.  :).  The Babylock Gloria which has a speed control button and retails at a mere £2995.  Yes you did read correctly.  I have seen one in operation and they look great although quite a big machine.  Of course, I'd have one tomorrow but i think it would take up too much room!   :P :)

annieeg

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 15:36:30 PM »
@Ohsewsimple  - Thanks for the information - I'd better start saving my pennies!!!
@SkoutSews - I didn't take any offence at your post - I thought you made a very sensible point about the practical aspects of the stop/start button feature I dreamt up!
(Its obvious why I'm not an engineer!)

Thanks to all for the input.
 :D
Annieeg

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 15:46:40 PM »
@annieeg let me know when you get it 0_0