The Sewing Place

Poll

Vote for TSP’s Best Destasher (the Biggest Destasher will be identified via maths) - everybody has 5 votes

#1 Lachica’s 1st entry
4 (1.8%)
#2 Bodgeitandscarper’s entry
4 (1.8%)
#3 Starryfish’s 1st entry
5 (2.3%)
#4 Lachica’s 2nd entry
6 (2.7%)
#5 SewRuthieSews’ 1st entry
11 (5%)
#6 Efemera’s 1st entry
11 (5%)
#7 Efemera’s 2nd entry
7 (3.2%)
#8 Starryfish’s 2nd entry
8 (3.6%)
#9 Greybird’s 1st entry
3 (1.4%)
#10 Lachica’s 3rd entry
0 (0%)
#11 SewRuthieSews’ 2nd entry
3 (1.4%)
#12 Efemera’s 3rd entry
7 (3.2%)
#13 Starryfish’s 3rd entry
0 (0%)
#14 Greybird’s 2nd entry
7 (3.2%)
#15 Sewmuchmore’s 1st entry
10 (4.5%)
#16 Acorn’s entry
27 (12.3%)
#17 Lachica’s 4th entry
6 (2.7%)
#18 Efemera’s 4th entry
9 (4.1%)
#19 Lachica’s 5th entry
0 (0%)
#20 Lachica’s 6th entry
2 (0.9%)
#21 SewRuthieSew’s 3rd entry
13 (5.9%)
#22 Efemera’s 5th entry
10 (4.5%)
#23 Efemera’s 6th entry
4 (1.8%)
#24 SewRuthieSews’ 4th entry
5 (2.3%)
#25 Starryfish’s 4th entry
10 (4.5%)
#26 SewRuthieSews’ 5th entry
1 (0.5%)
#27 Efemera’s 7th entry
11 (5%)
#28 SewRuthieSews’ 6th entry
4 (1.8%)
#29 Efemera’s 8th entry
7 (3.2%)
#30 Lachica’s 7th entry
3 (1.4%)
#31 Starryfish’s 5th entry
5 (2.3%)
#32 Starryfish’s 6th & 7th entry
2 (0.9%)
#33 Toileandtrouble’s 1st entry
0 (0%)
#34 Toileandtrouble’s 2nd entry
0 (0%)
#35 Popeye09’s entry
2 (0.9%)
#36 Sewmuchmore’s 2nd entry
13 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: February 16, 2019, 03:14:37 AM

Stash Busting Contest Voting Thread

Manuela

Stash Busting Contest Voting Thread
« on: January 01, 2019, 23:40:32 PM »
No 1 Lachica 1st entry

Am I the first?!! Cut out yesterday, sewn today. Tropical weight shirt for DH. Fine cotton lawn bought last June & then summer was over before I cut it. Pattern was made from his favourite summer shirt which I insisted went in the bin. Now to cut 2 more & start the production line. Features my new garment labels, a birthday present.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Well that's 4 shirts finished. 5m stash used. There are subtle differences in the shirts: one has cuffs. One has the cuffs hemmed on the RS to make mock cuffs. The stitching of the front facing varies, one has cars, one has boats, one's Greek key and the first is honeycomb. They're going in the wash now to remove soluble stabiliser and blue pen marks for notches.

No 2 Bodgeitandscarper

That's the first couple of yards (or metres for you younger folk) used up  :)

That's a boring looking top I hear you say...

(You'd have thought she'd have ironed it at least...)

Yes, but it's to go under the bought jumper, in the second pic, that came with a white muslin undershirt (that I already widened the sleeves on, but looks a bit too fancy for everyday wear), and the jumper part is very thin and see through and the back is even shorter than the front, so I thought a (almost matching) blue layer underneath would work well.
I think it's ok anyway, and it's one piece less in the stash.

I actually had a nightmare with the neck binding - I though it seemed a bit long when I sewed it on, and I was right, I had a very loose, baggy, wavy neckline.  So, unpicked the coverstitching (what fun, not), unpicked the overlocking (more fun, not), cut it 2 inches shorter, resewed and it'll have to do.

No 3 Starryfish’s 1st entry

My first destash piece 1.5m

Style Arc Debra in midblue double jersey, bought at the Knitting and Stitching Show 2017. I like polo necks, they keep my neck warm in our not that warm house.
I will go back to finishing DD's curtains before making my next piece.

No 4 Lachica’s 2nd entry

2nd entry.

Finished it! After much frustration with the coverlocker, the looper thread kept breaking. Note to self: cheap thread is a waste of money. The pattern says it's suitable for a beginner. I think a beginner would be frustrated with the finish. I overlocked a neck band on & coverstitched it down instead of just turning the neck. I also reinforced the shoulder seams with tape. 2.2m of stash.

No 5 Sewruthiesews’ 1st entry

Teal tweedy cardigan completed - used 2 metres of fabric

I only had 2 metres of this fabric, so had to do a bit of pattern tetris to cut it out.

I ended up with size Large, slightly shorter (5cm) than the mid length, with a belt, but without the patch pockets or a facing. The sleeves were cut on the cross grain.

I overlocked all the raw outer edges, rolled twice and stitched for a reasonably nice finish without the facing. I did a 6cm hem on the sleeves.
I omitted any pockets as the fabric has a very open weave and I felt they would pull.

The fabric had two good sides, so I played with using the one with more white threads on the sleeves, belt and showing when the collar folds open, with the plainer side for the body and belt loops. Its subtle but I like it.

No 6 Efemera's 1st entry

First entry...
2.5m used.

No 7 Efemera’s 2nd entry

Another entry...2m.

No 8 Starryfish’s 2nd entry

Piece number 2 0.75m used

Maria Denmark Kirsten Kimono Top from Floral crepe scuba.The fabric was left over from a dress, but the top may get worn more often in the spring.

No 9 Greybird’s 1st entry

I don't think is in any way an award-winning garment, but to add to the numbers, here it is! I needed a new dressing gown for my up-coming hospital stay and I had this fabric which I bought from @Francesca back in April(?) without any clear purpose in mind. The pattern is rehashed from Kwik Sew 3209. It comes with a hood or a funny neckband which I didn't like, so I replaced the hood with a facing. This, however made the neckline too high for me so I had to chop off the top of the zip to lower it. It now has a self-bound edge so that I could enclose the raw edges of the zip. It has in-seam pockets which are most unflattering to my shape but you can't carry anything when on crutches so I shall need them! I have bit of fabric left which might be enough for a top, we shall see.

No 10 Lachica’s 3rd entry

Entry 3: leggings, stash used 1m

Well it's only busted a smidge over 1m of a lovely thick navy jersey which has been in stash at least 6 months, probably more. Not very exciting, a pair of leggings to my pattern, last used 2015. Ran up really quickly, didn't bother trying on during the process 🙄 I didn't realise until now that the fabric doesn't have much stretch. They'll be ok as an extra layer under gardening joggers or perhaps instead of tights under a dress. They're very tight on the legs & due to the stretch don't reach my waist!!

No 11 Sewruthiesew’s 2nd entry

SewRuthieSews Entry #2 - Teal Jersey Top - used 1.5 metres of fabric

Dark teal jersey used for New Look 6735. Size 18, three quarter sleeve as per the pattern. Slight forward head alteration and a little extra bicep room added.

No 12 Efemera’s 3rd entry

Entry number 3... the Lisbon cardigan from black jersey crepe ( not the fabric  I wanted to make it in but it’s the only black I had in the stash, it’s to go with the black/ grey checked dress.)
1.5m used

No 13 Starryfish’s 3rd entry

My 3rd item: a boring tank top using 0.75m.

A Maria Denmark Just a Tank in cotton jersey. I wear these as PJ tops. Not very exciting but it will go with my blue patterned PJ bottoms.

I cut out a coatigan this afternoon and the lining part of the Vogue high neck blouse. I need to check that it won't choke me before cutting out the good fabric, I have a feeling it needs to be about 2.5cm looser. 

No 14 Greybird’s 2nd entry

Item 2 - same bit of stash.

Just about had enough for this.

No 15 Sewmuchmore’s 1st entry

Entry 1 - 4. Nothing over complicated.
1st is the Style Arc Flika top
2 - 4 The Divas dresses.
Total stash used so far 6 metres.

No 16 Acorn

Well, I finally finished it!

This is a much-adapted Lekala pattern with Style Arc Harlow sleeves, which fits me so beautifully I could cry!  The fabric is a gorgeous medium to lightweight crepe that I bought from Fran's stash last April, so it is a double stash-buster.

I initially made the fabric into a Style Arc Faith before Christmas, which didn't work at all well.  Then I pressed it and melted the front seam, so I dismantled it and turned it back into fabric.  I managed by the skin of my teeth to get the new pattern out of what I had to use.  I had to put the seam down the centre back in (it's on the pattern, but I usually leave it out) and added a little shaping there just because I had the opportunity.  I did all the hemming by hand - long curved hems on crepe.  You can imagine what fun that was, but machining it would have looked terrible.

Lekala pattern - shortened, given a bit more flounce, neckline changed so no separate yoke.  The only reason I used this pattern was because it fits me so wonderfully and is incredibly adaptable:

Style Arc Harlow - I just used the sleeves, but you'd think this was the whole pattern:

The finished top.  It's a much nicer colour than my camera has made it - proper French navy background, and lovely colours on the birds:

No 17 Lachica’s 4th entry

Entry#4 1/2m

Not exactly busting that stash - barely half a metre- but I've had this white cotton jersey forever and the request for a white long sleeve T shirt for GD to wear to a superhero party reminded me it really is lovely quality, maybe I could dye it and make another top for me.

Complete with red cuffs and belt to match the cape. Buckle made from foam with foil applied. I'm gettingting lots of use from the foiling kit. Shirt buttons are also foiled, I'll tell DD to cut them off before washing but bet she'll forget.

No 18 Efemera’s 4th entry

Number 4..
Marcy Tilton 9332
Not sure if the high low hem and the square set in sleeves are worth the effort but I love the pockets.
1.5m used

19 Lachica’s 5th entry

Entry#5 2m tulle
Easy knotted tutu for fancy dress. Used the last of the ?200m? of tulle that was used to make swags for DDs wedding. I didn't have all of it in my stash, probably only 20m or so as most was used by a friend. DD and SIL were living in Shanghai at the time &bought it at the fabric market there.

No 20 Lachica’s 6th entry

Entry#6  1.5m ish to make 4 toybags

I made a small one for dolls' bits n bobs to use up the fabric I bought for the doll's changing bag. DD requested more. GD had a wooden train set for Christmas so the large bag on the right is for that. This one is lined with a pillow case to conceal the back of the embroidery. All made with pieces I was hoarding as 'too big to throw, might come in handy'. The elephant one is pieced from several small bits, pattern matched of course. They all have drawcords made from stashed bits of silky cord. The bases are from DH's favourite black Levi's, which had holes in the knees. Wonder how long before he realises? I'm loving this challenge!

No 21 Sewruthiesews’ 3rd entry

SewRuthie Sews Entry #3 Teal print Kinder cardigan (with hand embellishment) - 2 metres of fabric used

Kinder cardigan in fabric I've had for just over 10 years.

I bought the fabric for this on 25th October 2008 from Washable Fabrics on Preston market when four of us had a bit of a PR weekend away. It's moved house 4 times with me over those 10+ years but is finally getting made up!

I've used the Kinder cardigan in the mid length with full length sleeves. I've added in seam pockets, a belt and belt loops. I tried to place the print sensibly by cutting the pieces out single layer. I've also added some hand detailing in the upper body one side. I ironed some very lightweight interfacing on to the back of the upper front area to give a little more stability for the handwork without changing the drape of the fabric too much.

No 22 Efemera's 5th entry

Number 5.. anther Marcy Tilton V9300
I added a pocket to the left front, the front fold detail is a little lost, probably because I’ve made a fat size and a very patterned fabric from Abakhan.
2m used

No 23 Efemera's 6th entry

Number 6 ...Another top from a RTW, bound necklines as the jersey is over printed with a faux suede effect and it doesn’t fold and press nicely on those bits.
1.5m

No 24 Sewruthiesews 4th entry

SewRuthie Sews Entry #4 Teal Burda wide leg trousers - 2 metres of fabric used.
Burda Style magazine 02/2010 #135 sewn in a dark teal woven fabric.

No 25 Starryfish's 4th entry

I've finished item 4, a Vogue 9285 blouse. It used 2.5m of voile plus underlining.

I'm quite pleased with this, it will go with my smart trousers and jackets.

26 Sewruthiesews 5th entry

Entry #5 Teal New Look casual trousers - 2 metres of fabric used.
New Look 6216 sewn in a dark teal cotton knit fabric.

No 27 Efemera’s 7th entry

Lost count now, but I know I don’t like wearing shirts!...probably get worn for gardening.
1.75m

No 28 Sewruthiesews 6th entry

SewRuthie Sews Entry #6 Teal New Look 6735 knit top - 1.5 metres of fabric used.
New Look 6735 with the sleeves lengthened slightly. Front and neckband in a print, I placed the strong turquoise motif at the front neck. The sleeves and back are from a dark teal plain knit.

No 29 Efemera’s 8th entry

Number whatever...woolly knit Lisbon Cardi
1.5m

No 30 Lachica’s 7th entry

Entry #6 : only 0.25 m this time! superhero cape & belt for 6 week old GS for a party end of January.  He's a long baby so his 0-3 month definitely won't fit in 2 weeks' tine.  I now need to find a yellow babygro age 3 month+ and stitch on Velcro dots to attach cape and belt.

No 31 Starryfish’s 5th entry

Entry #5 1.7m used

Style Arc Lorena coatigan in thick wool knit. It needs a thorough press!

No 32 Starryfish’s 6th and 7th entry

Entries #6 and #7. 0.4m and 0.4m used. Scroop Wonderunder camis in navy and cream slinky jersey. I need more practice in attaching FOE obviously, but they look better on me, and will never be seen in public.

I will cut out a Lekala blouse this pm ,and hope to get it finished by 31st. My boxes look a bit emptier, but some more fabric arrived this morning.  :*

No 33 Toileandtrouble’s 1st entry

Short sleeved t-shirt
Pattern is Kwiksew 3915
This is a remnant of brown velour. Only 1m so took a bit of fiddling to make it work. FBA with dart on the sides. Shortened it slightly and cut the front neck facing lengthways.  It does help stabilise it.  The ruching on the neck doesn't show up too well but makes a bit of interest.

1m from stash. Have to start somewhere!

No 34 Toileandtrouble’s 2nd entry

Another t-shirt from the same pattern but omitting the ruching.  Neckline raised slightly and band of contrast around the neck.
37.5" of multi-striped  jersey. Slightly on the small side, but just enough with a bit of ingenuity.  Shorter than pattern again  but FBA without a dart, the jersey is quite accommodating.  Had to piece both sleeves  but the stripes easy to match up down the outsides. 2.5" off another length of jersey to make the neckband  =40"  = 1m

2m gone from stash

No 35 Popeye09

I don't really have a "stash" as such in that I don't tend to buy fabric pre-emptively, I just get it for immediate purposes. I do have a box of off-cuts left over from previous things though. And I'd been planning for ages to make a tailor's ham and sleeve roll with some leftovers, but I hadn't got round to it. So thanks to this challenge for bumping me into actually getting around to doing it last night!

De-stashed length (drumroll please)...

...12".  0_0

No 36 Sewmuchmore's 2nd entry

Finally got round to putting batteries in camera so here is entry 5. We have been invited to another family wedding in June so thought I would get ahead and make a dress. The fabric is about 6 years old and left over from a skirt I wore to the last family wedding I went to. Hope nobody remembers the fabric. It is really curtaining fabric but who cares, it will probably only be worn the once. Just hoping the venue doesn't have the curtains  0_0
It is lined, so with the little bag/brooches, fabric used was 3 3/4 metres.

Amended, sorry forgot to put total fabric used to date = 9 3/4

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 02:49:27 AM by Manuela »