The Sewing Place

Poll

Vote for TSP’s Best Destasher (the Biggest Destasher will be identified via maths) - everybody has 5 votes

#1 Lachica’s 1st entry
4 (1.8%)
#2 Bodgeitandscarper’s entry
4 (1.8%)
#3 Starryfish’s 1st entry
5 (2.3%)
#4 Lachica’s 2nd entry
6 (2.7%)
#5 SewRuthieSews’ 1st entry
11 (5%)
#6 Efemera’s 1st entry
11 (5%)
#7 Efemera’s 2nd entry
7 (3.2%)
#8 Starryfish’s 2nd entry
8 (3.6%)
#9 Greybird’s 1st entry
3 (1.4%)
#10 Lachica’s 3rd entry
0 (0%)
#11 SewRuthieSews’ 2nd entry
3 (1.4%)
#12 Efemera’s 3rd entry
7 (3.2%)
#13 Starryfish’s 3rd entry
0 (0%)
#14 Greybird’s 2nd entry
7 (3.2%)
#15 Sewmuchmore’s 1st entry
10 (4.5%)
#16 Acorn’s entry
27 (12.3%)
#17 Lachica’s 4th entry
6 (2.7%)
#18 Efemera’s 4th entry
9 (4.1%)
#19 Lachica’s 5th entry
0 (0%)
#20 Lachica’s 6th entry
2 (0.9%)
#21 SewRuthieSew’s 3rd entry
13 (5.9%)
#22 Efemera’s 5th entry
10 (4.5%)
#23 Efemera’s 6th entry
4 (1.8%)
#24 SewRuthieSews’ 4th entry
5 (2.3%)
#25 Starryfish’s 4th entry
10 (4.5%)
#26 SewRuthieSews’ 5th entry
1 (0.5%)
#27 Efemera’s 7th entry
11 (5%)
#28 SewRuthieSews’ 6th entry
4 (1.8%)
#29 Efemera’s 8th entry
7 (3.2%)
#30 Lachica’s 7th entry
3 (1.4%)
#31 Starryfish’s 5th entry
5 (2.3%)
#32 Starryfish’s 6th & 7th entry
2 (0.9%)
#33 Toileandtrouble’s 1st entry
0 (0%)
#34 Toileandtrouble’s 2nd entry
0 (0%)
#35 Popeye09’s entry
2 (0.9%)
#36 Sewmuchmore’s 2nd entry
13 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: February 16, 2019, 03:14:37 AM

Stash Busting Contest Voting Thread

Manuela

Stash Busting Contest Voting Thread
« on: January 01, 2019, 23:40:32 PM »
No 1 Lachica 1st entry

Am I the first?!! Cut out yesterday, sewn today. Tropical weight shirt for DH. Fine cotton lawn bought last June & then summer was over before I cut it. Pattern was made from his favourite summer shirt which I insisted went in the bin. Now to cut 2 more & start the production line. Features my new garment labels, a birthday present.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Well that's 4 shirts finished. 5m stash used. There are subtle differences in the shirts: one has cuffs. One has the cuffs hemmed on the RS to make mock cuffs. The stitching of the front facing varies, one has cars, one has boats, one's Greek key and the first is honeycomb. They're going in the wash now to remove soluble stabiliser and blue pen marks for notches.

No 2 Bodgeitandscarper

That's the first couple of yards (or metres for you younger folk) used up  :)

That's a boring looking top I hear you say...

(You'd have thought she'd have ironed it at least...)

Yes, but it's to go under the bought jumper, in the second pic, that came with a white muslin undershirt (that I already widened the sleeves on, but looks a bit too fancy for everyday wear), and the jumper part is very thin and see through and the back is even shorter than the front, so I thought a (almost matching) blue layer underneath would work well.
I think it's ok anyway, and it's one piece less in the stash.

I actually had a nightmare with the neck binding - I though it seemed a bit long when I sewed it on, and I was right, I had a very loose, baggy, wavy neckline.  So, unpicked the coverstitching (what fun, not), unpicked the overlocking (more fun, not), cut it 2 inches shorter, resewed and it'll have to do.

No 3 Starryfish’s 1st entry

My first destash piece 1.5m

Style Arc Debra in midblue double jersey, bought at the Knitting and Stitching Show 2017. I like polo necks, they keep my neck warm in our not that warm house.
I will go back to finishing DD's curtains before making my next piece.

No 4 Lachica’s 2nd entry

2nd entry.

Finished it! After much frustration with the coverlocker, the looper thread kept breaking. Note to self: cheap thread is a waste of money. The pattern says it's suitable for a beginner. I think a beginner would be frustrated with the finish. I overlocked a neck band on & coverstitched it down instead of just turning the neck. I also reinforced the shoulder seams with tape. 2.2m of stash.

No 5 Sewruthiesews’ 1st entry

Teal tweedy cardigan completed - used 2 metres of fabric

I only had 2 metres of this fabric, so had to do a bit of pattern tetris to cut it out.

I ended up with size Large, slightly shorter (5cm) than the mid length, with a belt, but without the patch pockets or a facing. The sleeves were cut on the cross grain.

I overlocked all the raw outer edges, rolled twice and stitched for a reasonably nice finish without the facing. I did a 6cm hem on the sleeves.
I omitted any pockets as the fabric has a very open weave and I felt they would pull.

The fabric had two good sides, so I played with using the one with more white threads on the sleeves, belt and showing when the collar folds open, with the plainer side for the body and belt loops. Its subtle but I like it.

No 6 Efemera's 1st entry

First entry...
2.5m used.

No 7 Efemera’s 2nd entry

Another entry...2m.

No 8 Starryfish’s 2nd entry

Piece number 2 0.75m used

Maria Denmark Kirsten Kimono Top from Floral crepe scuba.The fabric was left over from a dress, but the top may get worn more often in the spring.

No 9 Greybird’s 1st entry

I don't think is in any way an award-winning garment, but to add to the numbers, here it is! I needed a new dressing gown for my up-coming hospital stay and I had this fabric which I bought from @Francesca back in April(?) without any clear purpose in mind. The pattern is rehashed from Kwik Sew 3209. It comes with a hood or a funny neckband which I didn't like, so I replaced the hood with a facing. This, however made the neckline too high for me so I had to chop off the top of the zip to lower it. It now has a self-bound edge so that I could enclose the raw edges of the zip. It has in-seam pockets which are most unflattering to my shape but you can't carry anything when on crutches so I shall need them! I have bit of fabric left which might be enough for a top, we shall see.

No 10 Lachica’s 3rd entry

Entry 3: leggings, stash used 1m

Well it's only busted a smidge over 1m of a lovely thick navy jersey which has been in stash at least 6 months, probably more. Not very exciting, a pair of leggings to my pattern, last used 2015. Ran up really quickly, didn't bother trying on during the process
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 02:49:27 AM by Manuela »