The Sewing Place

2019 Darkside Temperature Based Sewalong

Lowena

2019 Darkside Temperature Based Sewalong
« on: January 02, 2019, 21:26:45 PM »
This is a heads up to anyone wanting to join with us at any time during the year ( start your temperature count now, or use Accuweather data )

Accuweather link - Just enter your location and click on the monthly tab for previous temperatures

The idea is to make a Temperature Quilt... or cushion... or placemats... or wallhanging... or anything really.
Take note of the daily temperature and align it with a colour ( your choice of how the steps are spaced, your choice of the colour range ). Construct the strips, squares, flying geese, rectangles or what ever you want to use and develop your individual project.
That's it!
No rigid rules, no specific layout, no dos and don'ts........ it's your project; just enjoy.
If you want to you can post updates, show w.i.p photos, discuss layout possibilities etc. It is not competitive, and I'm sure everyone will be mutually supportive.
Some ideas if you'd prefer not to make a straightforward 365 day quilt.......
1. A cushion cover / placemat / runner /bag for each season.
2. A throw using a square to represent the average temperatures for a week at a time.
3. 12 applique trees each monthly tree having daily leaves.
Use your imagination... the world is your oyster
We currently have at least 9 girls who have shown interest : Lowena, Wrenkins,Kenora,Sandra,Sakar,Pearl, Ploshkin,R.Sewist,Cheesecake, Iminei ( and hopefully Brenda ). @Acorn  and @maliw are you interested?
It'll be rule free, laid back,pressureless and great fun
Please join in, the more the merrier  :sew:
P.S. ( I knew I'd forget something  :| ) Pinterest is awash with ideas and Amazon is heaving with notebooks and coloured pencils  :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 13:56:04 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sakar

Re: 2019 Darkside Temperature Based Sewalong
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 21:49:08 PM »
Excellent Lowena  0_0

Thank you so very much for sharing thus idea with us and leading this sew along!
With a little toddler around it's really difficult to follow strict rules or a timetable. That's why I really love this project!  <3

Let's hope for a lot of participants and a lot of pics  :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 22:00:24 PM »
Am I off the hook as you haven't put me on the list?  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 22:35:36 PM »
No no no no no @Ploshkin  You got lost in transference from my list to my post  :| so sorry Ploshy dear. :( Been amended now so you can't get away with anything  :P
Lovely to have you aboard... let's hope for a warm spring ;)
My pleasure @Sakar  I know you'll produce something amazing ( with or without toddler help  0_0 ) and there are absolutely no rules, restrictions or timetables  ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 22:38:23 PM by Lowena »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 23:45:17 PM »
Am I off the hook as you haven't put me on the list?  :)

Nice try Sister. If I'mma gonna do it so can you.

'K Lowena, I'm in. No clue just what but possibly along the lines of a dozen blocks each indicative of one month. If I get really ambitious-ha- piece the border for the days.

But I've got to tell you, if I use red for really hot it'll mostly be a red quilt with blued white for the last two days. It was 0 C last night..... :S
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:53:21 AM »
@Renegade Sewist mine is likely to be the opposite - nearly all grey with a couple of red bits if we're lucky.  It's a good thing it's not a rainfall quilt.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 08:57:36 AM »
 12 applique trees each monthly tree having daily leaves.

@Lowena    ... OOoohhhhh Get you Sister with your clever ideas!!!

With a little toddler around

@Sakar  .... Whhhaaaaaa???? When did this happen ??? Toddling ?? already??? YAY!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 11:08:04 AM »

I'm not going to do this because I'm going to finish 3 UFOs before I start anything new.  Here are the fabrics which I would use if I was going to join in, but I'm not.   ;)

I was so resolute for about 5 hours on 1st Jan. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 14:29:30 PM by Pearl »

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 11:09:58 AM »
I have my boundless botanicals beside me as I type @Pearl0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 11:18:37 AM »
Did you buy them from Craftsy, @wrenkins ?

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 11:24:06 AM »
I did. I think they'll finally come in handy.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 12:04:53 PM »
I would love to, but I can't imagine finding the time...

... although when @Renegade Sewist posted this image:

I was very, very tempted.

Maybe I could do it instead of the BOMs...

Maybe.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 12:35:27 PM »
Come on @Acorn  you know you want to. It's something a bit different.. and there's no pressure - just make a note of the temps ( Accuweather is good for any you miss ) and do it in your own time.
You are so very accomplished and organised  :angel: that I forsee no difficulties at all......gwan,gwan, gawan ;)
Now then @Pearl stop being silly.... you know it's impossible to resist the lure :P . Just do the first month to see what it would look like if you were doing it for real  :devil:
For those who fear it may be too simplistic ... I saw a good one. It was made from Flying Geese; the goose being the maximum temperature for the day and the side bits the minimum........good for using up scraps too  :angel:
Now... I don't have scraps so have just spent £77.76 at Pelenna Patchworks online and am raring to go. :loveit:
@twopence @Deafoldbat @StitchinTime  @BrendaP @rubywishes @Bogwoppit  and other missing peeps...... interested??
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:39:16 PM by Lowena »

Sakar

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 12:55:26 PM »
@Sakar  .... Whhhaaaaaa???? When did this happen ??? Toddling ?? already??? YAY!

Have a look to our hangouts group....  :D

I'm not going to do this because I'm going to finish 3 UFOs before I start anything new.  Here are the fabrics which I would use if I was going to join in, but I'm not.   ;)

Well then, are the 3 UFO's already finished?
And collecting temperatures isn't that time consuming until you have finished the rest :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:59:26 PM by Sakar »

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 13:19:59 PM »
Jeeezuz Sakar ...

I was only there a month ago and he couldnt even crawl anywhere then ... What have you been feeding him????

Loving his jumpsuit btw, I remember that fabric!!!

Here are the fabrics which I would use if I was going to join in, but I'm not.   ;)

Lovely fabrics and do I espy some calculations beside them ????

Botanicals sound loverly Wrenkie ...

Me ??? I've been working out what sizes to cut to make 3" x 6" (finished) HSR's ...

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 13:27:15 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again