fajita

Re: "Fit for Purpose" January 1-31 2021
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2021, 18:26:47 PM »
Oh no, @Fabric Lover  :toast: :hug:

Mick

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2021, 19:33:37 PM »
Your User Name and Entry Number
Mick’s one and only entry for the competition.

What is it and for whom.
A sleeveless posing training hoodie for me.

Before old age, arthritis, and general decrepitude got the better of me, I was a keen kickboxer
and sometimes, cage fighter.
Normal gymwear in those days was always a sleeveless hoodie, as they keep your torso and neck muscles warm without restricting your arm movement.
I’m not allowed to fight any more, and got rid of most of my old training gear a while ago, but I still work out occasionally, and thought there was no harm in re-living the glory days a little.

Fabric and Pattern/instructions used.
Fabric is some “Heavy-Duty Sweatshirt Fleece” and matching Stretch Cuffing. Both from Ebay.
Pattern was a free download from this lovely lady’s site.
https://mellysews.com/sewing-projects/
Came as a 15 page A4 print out, which worked perfectly through Adobe software. The calibration scale was spot on, without correction, and all the lines matched up between sheets with no errors or steps. (Huge sigh of relief).
Back and front pieces were very similar, with just differences in the neckline shape, and were overlayed on the print out. So I traced the front onto a separate sheet, just to make laying out on the fabric a bit easier.
The site also includes an idiot’s guide video on sewing the thing. Handy for me, that.

A short description on how you made it.
Didn’t need the sleeves, obviously, so didn’t make them. Just did some short cuffs around the arm-holes.

Any problems overcome etc.
Oh my goodness, isn’t stretchy fabric fun stuff to sew on a vintage sewing machine…

Catllar

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2021, 20:49:10 PM »
Very nice @Mick. Kick boxing ? Same as they do in Thailand?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2021, 21:01:14 PM »
@SewRuthieSews  Do I need to do anything with my posts or is what I've posted OK where it is?

Mick

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2021, 21:11:15 PM »
Very nice @Mick. Kick boxing ? Same as they do in Thailand?

Much the same.
The sport originated there, and the Thai people are still the masters of it.

Nowadays the Western version has a few more rules, to try to prevent the competitors getting too badly hurt.
It's still pretty brutal though, and a man my age has no place kidding himself he can still compete.
Much safer if I stick to sewing...
 :'(
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 21:13:06 PM by Mick »

Catllar

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2021, 13:34:41 PM »
Remember seeing demos of Muay Thai in shopping malls in Chiang Mai and Bangkok as tasters for the "real" matches. @Mick My days, are they supple and fast!!!!

Mick

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2021, 20:41:38 PM »
@Catllar  Muay Thai fighter are the best there are. Most sign up to a training school around six years old, and then devote the rest of their life to the sport. Very few westerners have ever been able to compete on their terms.

I mostly fought in a style known as K1. The Thai would probably consider it a bit "girly", as we weren't allowed to break each others legs.  :o

Catllar

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2021, 23:19:57 PM »
Wow! :scream:

Starryfish

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2021, 12:59:25 PM »
Starryfish's entry

I made a Style Arc Verity sweatshirt in burgundy french terry and Style Arc Brooklyn track bottoms in black ponte. No alterations to the patterns apart from the usual changes to the centre back seam of the bottoms to fit my figure.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I will wear this for my walking group when we are allowed out. The light is the best I can do in the winter, short of standing on the front lawn (not going to happen).

Took a picture in my sewing room which shows the fabric and details better, not enough room for a photo of me.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 18:49:21 PM by Starryfish »
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Catllar

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2021, 13:17:01 PM »
I really love that sweatshirt - was the neck easy to do? Drawstring holes and all that?

Starryfish

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2021, 13:32:00 PM »
No @Catllar , it wasn't that difficult. You sew up the collar, make the buttonholes, and then sew two parallel lines of stitching either side. Then thread the ribbon through, which I didn't find too hard. Of course it would been easier if I  could locate the thingy for threading that was in my mums button box I inherited. :laughing:
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2021, 17:54:50 PM »
@SingingSinger @Morzel @Bodgeitandscarper @Catllar @Puzzler @Mick @Starryfish

Thank You all for your entries!!!!!

The voting thread is now open at FIT FOR PURPOSE voting