The Sewing Place

Renita's Millefiori Sampler Meditation Cushion

Iminei

Re: Renita's Millefiori Sampler Meditation Cushion
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 10:11:39 AM »
the 'half square' in the edges of the side piece - they are 2cm x 1cm, the full (little) squares running along the centre are 2cm x 2cm. The diamonds or larger squares are 4cm across the diagonal.

cm's ... Double Gulp!!!  :S     :S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 10:46:47 AM »
Gulps all round  :S R.E.S.P.E.C.T :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

supergran

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 21:26:59 PM »
Gulps from me too. Wow!!!

renita

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 05:02:11 AM »
Well, it's taken a while, but I've FINALLY managed to complete this project.  It was supposed to be finished by the end of January.  Since we're up to a January again, I thought I'd better get back to it.

I ended up hand-quilting all the pieces - hope you'll be able to see that in the photos because I forgot to take a really-close up picture and I may not get this posted if I wait to go back for another photo.

I'd struggled working out how to get the pieces together.   The side strip is slightly longer than the circles, because of the extra piece I added to make it more of a rectangle, rather than having an undulating edge.  I wanted to do all sorts of fancy things, like a zipper, and/or piping, but all of those things are what stalled the project - dealing with those while also easing the side piece to the top and bottom was too much of a challenge. I even had a go at hand-stitching the quilted pieces together, but realised that the seams were unlikely to support my weight...

In the end, I have machine sewn the top and bottom to the side, leaving a gap to stuff it, then hand-sewn the gap closed, as firmly and securely as I can. 
Since this was a stash project, I used an old quilt/doona (and part of a cushion) to stuff it, just cutting out layers and layers until I ran out.  Once I stuffed the cushion with the quilt/doona layers, it still felt a bit soft, so that's when the extra stuffing from the cushion was added.

I'm putting the apparent wonkiness, that seems to show up in every photo, but isn't so visible in real life, down to the fact that my circles are actually decagons and I didn't want to round it off to a circle and lose the little points on my stars.

It's hard to judge the scale from the photos of the cushion on its own, so I included one where it's sitting with the rest of my yoga gear.  Of course, it's just occurred to me that I could measure it - the top and bottom are 33cm or 13inches across and the side piece is about 11cm or 4.25 inches high.

Project done - SUPER happy with the result. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 08:55:57 AM »
Just WOW!!!!

Bravo Renita, Bravo! 

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 09:21:38 AM »
That's brilliant!  Well done!!!    :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 09:32:38 AM »
Gosh, that looks a very complicated construction, well done, it's impressive.  There isn't any noticeable wonkiness.
Life's too short for ironing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2020, 09:59:22 AM »
I love it, the blue's are beautiful
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2020, 11:07:01 AM »
Lovely work
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 13:31:58 PM »
Absolutely amazing.

renita

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 20:45:55 PM »
Thanks folks.  0_0

It was my first go at hand-piecing and I enjoyed it.  I'd love to go all-out on a fancy, fussy-cut quilt one day, but probably not for a while.   In the meantime, I'll sit and enjoy seeing all the beautiful quilts you guys come up with.