The Sewing Place

Another Winter coat

sewingj

Another Winter coat
« on: January 03, 2019, 11:05:56 AM »
This is my contribution to the collection of Winter Coats.  It is Kwiksew 4225 but it definitely wasn`t a "Kwik Sew" for me.  It is nowhere near as complicated as the beautiful coat made by @Sonatine but it was the first time I had made something lined and with shoulder pads so I am quite pleased with the result.  It was also my first attempt at hand-sewn buttonholes which worked out pretty well (even if I did get sciatica sewing them!).  Since reading about Fran`s fur jacket I am wondering if I should have inter-lined it to give it a bit more body and will consider that next time.
It`s 100% wool from 1stforfabrics with a jacquard lining from Calicolaine.
Since mixing with you clever ladies I have become very aware of fit and so every time I wear it I realise it is too big in the upper chest area but nobody else seems to have noticed (according to my measurements I should have been a Medium but tried this in a toile and wouldn`t have been able to wear a jumper under it so went with Large)
https://kwiksew.mccall.com/k4225

SkoutSews

Re: Another Winter coat
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »
That's lovely!  I like your fabric choices, the lining looks great with the main fabric.  I was looking at this pattern myself as I'm brewing up an idea for a version in tweed, but it will be for next winter now. 

Can't comment on the fit, beyond agreeing that is important to be able to get some warm layers under a winter coat, which is always a compromise with a fitted style.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 11:23:42 AM »
That’s a great looking coat...

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 11:35:12 AM »
Really lovely @sewingj .  Looks like you did a fantastic job.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 12:00:37 PM »
Oooh - that's lovely.   :D 

I have some grey/black wool-type-stuff (Abakhan remnant, so I can only guess as to composition) and a silver/grey jacquard lining from Croft Mill to go with it.  We clearly have similar taste!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 12:08:25 PM »
@SkoutSews  if you do make it there are a couple of errors on the pattern pieces - in particular the sizing on the pocket piece is in the wrong order.  These are also mentioned on PatternReview so it`s not just me.  You also have to understitch round the collar which I ended up doing by hand as the seam was totally inaccessible by my machine!

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 12:22:21 PM »
That's lovely @sewingj !  If it's roomy round the top, then you can always stuff a scarf/extra jumper underneath  :).  I bet no one will ever notice either.   I really like the fabric too x

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 12:28:33 PM »
The buttonholes look spot on in the picture.  Nice job - all of it, that is, not just the buttonholes.
Life's too short for ironing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 12:30:04 PM »
@SkoutSews  if you do make it there are a couple of errors on the pattern pieces - in particular the sizing on the pocket piece is in the wrong order.  These are also mentioned on PatternReview so it`s not just me.  You also have to understitch round the collar which I ended up doing by hand as the seam was totally inaccessible by my machine!
Thanks for the tip, I'll watch out for that. It's surprising how many patterns have these little pitfalls, you'd think they'd be properly tested before going on sale.

annieeg

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 12:31:27 PM »
really nice coat and love the lining!
 :D
Annieeg

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 12:55:55 PM »
The buttonholes look spot on in the picture.  Nice job - all of it, that is, not just the buttonholes.

@Ploshkin      I think it was you who mentioned this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLudKgoSgLA
so you should take much of the responsibility for the buttonholes!   I watched it so many times I was sick to death of him telling "Izzy" how wonderful she was!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 13:02:23 PM by sewingj »

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 12:58:19 PM »
That's lovely. I have fabric for a coat, bought 2 (?) years ago, and it takes up a lot of space so I should really make it up for the stash busting thread. BUT we're going away Feb-March and I won't need a coat in April. If I was organised I'd sew a season in advance >:)
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.