The Sewing Place

Fusible Interfacing

DanesProject

Fusible Interfacing
« on: January 03, 2019, 18:31:07 PM »
Hello everyone, I’m Dane.

I’ve never sewn before aside from basic stitching in boot camp many years ago. I quit drinking several months ago and I’ve been determined to build a multi functional bed/desk, with a rising mirror vanity for my 12 yr old daughters room.
I’ve spoken to many local upholsterers who say it can’t be done or they can do it for around $600.
So I’m coming to you.
I will try to keep this brief as it is hard to picture.

I need to cut a foam mattress down the length by 1/3. I will then attach a large zipper.
Question:
Will interface fusion adhere the the polyester lining of a mattress?
If so, what type could I use that would handle the stress of a zipper and still maintain comfort to sleep on?

I know this may be unusual but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Dane

DanesProject

Re: Fusible Interfacing
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 18:47:05 PM »
It’s a very smooth surface. The mattress is 8” memory foam so that is a great question. I’ll have to look into how much heat can be tolerated by the foam.( Maybe I could slide cardboard under it?)

Is there any question that the glue would stick to the polyester? I’ve read that sometimes it may be difficult because of the chemicals used in polyester.

DanesProject

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 19:03:13 PM »
I am adhering the interface to the lining to strengthen it enough to support the weight and stress of a zipper.

It’s hard to picture but I need to make the mattress fold up to fit under the “desk”-“bed”.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 22:45:54 PM »
If I am understanding this correctly you are wanting to join two very large blocks of memory foam to make a folding mattress.  And the zip to hold the two pieces close together?

If you make two separate covers, one for each piece of foam, you could apply the iron-on interfacing to the required area of fabric without it being anywhere near the foam.

But, I'm not sure why you need a zip - it won't add anything to the comfort of the mattress!  Could you not use two or three broad fabric straps attached to the cover of the bigger piece?  Long enough to go right around the smaller piece and maybe fasten with velcro.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.