The Sewing Place

Sewing Spaces

b15erk

Re: Sewing Spaces
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »
OK, you asked to see it - I warn you, it isn't pretty! This is one of three - I'll put the others in the gallery - don't want anyone hyperventilating at the mess!  :D

This, is the 'spare' bed..... :|  Look at that gorgeous fabric!  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sewingj

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 12:54:27 PM »
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 18:57:24 PM by sewingj »

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 15:02:51 PM »
I am really sorry to hear about your poor little cat. You must be heartbroken.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

dolcevita

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 17:46:12 PM »
Fab sewing space, Morgan.  So sorry to hear about your cat, very sad.

Can you tell me where you sourced your splendid cutting table?  I don't have room yet but will do in about 12 months' time and would dearly like one of those.

Swisslass

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 19:15:13 PM »
Hello DV good to catch up again!

This is my sewing room, and it always looks like this! I was going to tidy up then take a picture but hey let's shatter the illusion that CH is neat, ordered and tidy. My overlocker is usually out on the table too, no idea where that has snuck off too, maybe it was on the dining room table. I love it, it's cosy and the room is on the corner of the house so I sew and see all that happens outside. There's no room to cut out, but there's the dining room table next door for that, and there's only 2 single plug sockets which is my only grumble. There's usually a few projects ongoing at the same time, hence the mess  :D
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Vegegrow

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 21:45:43 PM »
I'm lucky to have a good size room for my sewing I have 16 lack tables stacked into a block 4 tables long by 2 wide ( like this https://customstyle.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/how-i-organized-my-sewing-room/ )... the 2 layers gives me a full set of shelves under the table so I stack plastic boxes 4 deep 2 per layer on one side the other side is used for rolls of curtain fabric and lining plus all the interfacing stiffening's and wide buckram on the top I have a wooden board 2.5m x 1.4m(cut into 3 panels to get them upstairs) this is covered in 3 or 4 old wool blankets and a layer of cotton interlining then an large cotton sheet which means I can iron onto it ...perfect for curtains
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Morgan

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 22:16:57 PM »
Can you tell me where you sourced your splendid cutting table?  I don't have room yet but will do in about 12 months' time and would dearly like one of those.

They are two of these.

The table tops are light and hollow which make them easy to move around by one person.  I chose the gloss finish ones but there are several other options.  As my table tops are hollow to attach the adjustable bars I used strips of No More Nails Permanent Adhesive strips rather than the rather odd screw fixings supplied.  They are brilliant - the adhesive strips and the tables that is.

originally I really wanted one (or even two) of these electronic height adjustable tables but bearing in mind my sewing space is on the 3rd floor it wasn't to be this time.  When I eventually move house, it may be the solution for the next sewing space.  Same idea but cost significantly less than the Horn version.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 22:33:31 PM by Morgan »

dolcevita

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »
Thanks Morgan, drooled over and noted.

Vegegrow - lovely space.  I had come across that Ikea hack a while ago and it struck me as a great idea then.  Your iteration is perfect and will also be added to the 'ideas book'.

Vegegrow

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 08:38:51 AM »
Thanks Morgan, drooled over and noted.

Vegegrow - lovely space.  I had come across that Ikea hack a while ago and it struck me as a great idea then.  Your iteration is perfect and will also be added to the 'ideas book'.
Of course my version will never look as tidy as the ikea hack I copied :(
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 12:56:24 PM »
So sorry for your loss Morgan.
Good to see everyone's spaces.
I have half ( well,ok, over half ) of the workshop attached to the house ( used to be a garage, so you have an idea of the proportions ) I have an old desk on which sits my only  :angel: sewing machine, travel iron and pad. At right angles I have an old dining table, at which I sit to plan etc and across the aisle I have a worktop for cutting, large mat and Sissix live there. I have a shelf unit for various boxes of supplies. When my stash box is truly empty ( won't be long now ) I'll buy extra wadding as it is something I often forget about until it's needed  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Gernella

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 13:16:33 PM »
My this is a minor miracle, to finally get a picture in!  :toast:

As I was trying to say, this is mine, at its best time, after the new carpet was installed but before things were put back!  The room is a funny size, 17ft long but only around 9ft wide.  I've not taken any recent photos, partly because it looks so cluttered, even after having a recent declutter in January, when it did look tidy. 

I'd like to take a current one but the only one I have was taken was probably some time last year at the other end of the room and there have been some changes, although not many.  My Siamese is ill at the moment and has taken to sleeping under the desk out of sight so the multitude of sins that were hidden under it are now out on show, so you can understand why I am so envious of other people's sewing space, although I appreciate some sewers are restricted to the kitchen table.   

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Marniesews

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 13:37:28 PM »
Morgan, you really do not want to see my sewing space - it's  a tip!
This also goes for me, except I'm not willing to inflict a pic of my space on me, let alone anyone else! It's bad enough living with it. I don't really have a space as such but areas all over the place with stashed fabric and haberdashery in assorted boxes and drawers (and bags stuffed behind the sofa  ><).  :(

At the moment I'm in a long war of attrition with my OH as to why we need to have a major reorganisation. I know it'll be a nightmare (that's both in doing it and living with him/me while it's happening) but it would be so worth it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 13:48:39 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Tallulah57

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 19:42:44 PM »
Looks amazing, given me a kick up the derriere to get my space sorted, so very sorry to hear about your beautiful cat.

datcat23

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 06:33:22 AM »
Morgan, I am so sad to hear that you have lost one of your precious pets.   <3

Here is a shot of my sewing space.  And yes, its tidy, it pretty much is always that tidy.  I have major problems with sewing block, if I let the space get out of hand.  It my own special brand of obsessiveness.

Sewing room by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Efemera

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 13:13:34 PM »
Not so much a sewing room at the moment...
Still the view isn't bad.