The Sewing Place

Sewing Spaces

Vegegrow

Re: Sewing Spaces
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 13:38:06 PM »
If any of you tidy people want to tackle a seriously chaotic sewing room in Suffolk you are very welcome to pop over.. Although its is quite a long way for you Dani... :D
:button: :frock: :sew: :shirt: :thread: :drink: :trousers: :pattern: :wool: :fabric: :vintage: :snip: :pin:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Gernella

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 10:19:52 AM »
I have to say that when I have tidied up and got rid of/hidden things, I feel a lot better.  Only thing is it doesn't last long, I pull things out in a hurry and don't put them back.  I blame it on lack of sewing time, I really only get Monday afternoon and occasionally Thursday afternoon and I'm retired!

When I got a new cleaner I kept the old one specially so I could keep it upstairs and clean the floor regularly!  Hasn't worked.  What I could really do with is down sizing on the sewing machines but they all seem to have a little job they do well and it is hard to part. 

And to think I lasted 42 years with only one sewing machine, no overlocker, no coverstitch and a small desk in a corner.  I  chose the pattern, thread and fabric and that was it until the next project.  No stockpiling of anything.  I blame the internet!

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ploshkin

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 10:30:02 AM »
No stockpiling of anything.  I blame the internet!

Also the fact that in many places there are just no fabric or haberdashery shops any more.  I have to make a 40 mile round trip for a reel of thread and over 100 mile round trip if I actually want to see & feel some fabric.  I currently have 2 items waiting for fastenings.  My pockets are always full of little pieces of material just in case I come across a shop selling buttons.  When I buy from the internet I often get several items to get over the minimum spend for postage.  I used to just go & have a browse and get the stuff I needed when the fancy to make something hit me.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
OK, mainly an experiment to see if I did the pic resizing correctly

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 13:45:35 PM by Sewingsue »
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Sewingsue

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 11:47:57 AM »
Oh, it worked
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

datcat23

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 20:54:56 PM »
If any of you tidy people want to tackle a seriously chaotic sewing room in Suffolk you are very welcome to pop over.. Although its is quite a long way for you Dani... :D

Yeah just a bit of a drive.  I helped a girlfriend really demolish her sewing space, and I find it fun, although its hard to convince a creative hoarder that she really doesn't need 200 old quilting magazines that she never opens.  Her space is much more conducive to working well, and considering she is a professional quilter, it looks so much more professional to her customers.

I still haven't done any real sewing for ages ..... I am just not all that inspired right now.
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Vegegrow

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 21:28:03 PM »

I still haven't done any real sewing for ages ..... I am just not all that inspired right now.
Go shopping for a lovely bit of fabric for you.. you make so many gorgeous gift for others make something for you.... :)
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Iminei

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2017, 06:41:34 AM »
Oh Datcat please please please come over to mine???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2017, 09:48:28 AM »
Just finished my big 'tidy up' - should have taken a picture.  At least I can find my traced patterns now!

Fabric is another matter, that is an ongoing headache.  Do you sort by colour, fabric type, fabric use, quantity?  Big problem ...

The only box I'm ever confident about, is the white box, but colour sorting gets tricky when it comes to florals.....

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2017, 16:04:17 PM »
My sewing space is going to be demolished very soon,hence the complete lack of organisation.  It's the conservatory which is a worse than useless space - too hot whenever the sun is out, and too cold when it isn't!  When the new extension is built our current kitchen will become my new sewing and knitting room, with hopefully enough storage to keep it tidy.  I just hope there will be room for both knitting machines, as well as the sewing machine, overlocker, coverstitch and embroidery machine.  Oh and the embellisher machine... And the collection of antique toy sewing machines...  And the lovely old pale blue Jones machine...

sewmuchmore

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2017, 18:51:05 PM »
Here is mine. I keep looking at the electric height adjustable table in Ikea but it's not as long my old table i use now so will stick with what I've got for now.
P.S hope this works.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

datcat23

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2017, 20:44:34 PM »
:button: :frock: :sew: :shirt: :thread: :drink: :trousers: :pattern: :wool: :fabric: :vintage: :snip: :pin:

Yes, a bit of a hike.  Plus, my machines would miss me, they might possibly fret  ......  Can't have that.  :D ;)
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Vegegrow

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2017, 21:11:13 PM »
Can't have :'( :sew: :'( :vintage: :[... didn't realise machines could fret... don't suppose mine ever get a chance.. overworked is more likely
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 21:12:52 PM by Vegegrow »

Gernella

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »
OK, mainly an experiment to see if I did the pic resizing correctly

That is really impressive tidiness, now I really am worried.  I could work in that, but whether it would look the same in a couple of weeks time, not sure.

In fact now I've gone further down the page I'm just going to crawl in a hole and give up.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:42:59 AM by Gernella »
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2017, 11:27:08 AM »
I'm loving this thread, so nice to see what others have and that you are not alone with the tidiness problem or rather hiding the evidence of a spend.  I just love to see what sewing machines other people have as well, Pfaff appears a few times.  <3