The Sewing Place

Sewing Spaces

Ohsewsimple

Re: Sewing Spaces
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2017, 13:21:34 PM »
These piccies were taken a while ago. Room was tidied a bit for the purpose.  :P. It has changed a bit since but not much. 
The cutting table was made by my dad and it's the perfect height for me.  Not fancy but does the job.  And for those worrying about tidy.....it is frequently covered in stuff that is brought up to be 'put away sometime later'.  |O
The cupboard is a real problem.  Doesn't look too bad here but it is rammed with books and files and I can't get to a lot of stuff. Really need a sort out!

UttaRetch

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2017, 19:58:10 PM »
I don't have a spare room, but I can no longer be bothered to drag these

out of their boxes which I keep behind the sofa, and any length of time that I spend tracing off patterns or cutting out sets off my sciatica.

I used to sew on my kitchen table, but the light was behind me so I bought a daylight desklamp.

Greybird

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2017, 23:16:06 PM »
So sorry about your cat - she looked beautiful.

My sewing space is still the dining room, but since we have moved it's a separate room and I can make a mess in there and be able to shut it off out of sight. Because we have to use the room when visitors come though (a frequent occurrence), it makes me clear it up often and keeps things organised. I have managed to split the stash between two plastic boxes and a large basket. The boxes are under two different beds and the basket is in the smallest bedroom. It really looks as if I haven't got very much................

Sewingsue

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2017, 08:55:09 AM »
I have managed to split the stash between two plastic boxes and a large basket. The boxes are under two different beds and the basket is in the smallest bedroom. It really looks as if I haven't got very much................
Gotta love a cunning plan  ;)
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Snippet

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2017, 09:37:36 AM »
I used to do my sewing in the dining room and used a storage room upstairs for all my bits and pieces. The dining room overlooks the garden so this year I thought that I would re-purpose it into a little sitting room with a couple of comfy armchairs so that I can admire Mr Snippet's endeavours in the garden. New carpet on order, and a local charity coming this morning (I hope) to pick up the dining table and chairs.

So (or is that 'Sew') I needed to move my sewing machine to a new home....

The storage room where I keep all my 'stuff' is a really useful space off a spare bedroom - well, just a box room really - which we used as a dressing/laundry room. Quite useful really but not as useful as a sewing room! I moved the drawer units into the storage room, dismantled the wardrobe and stacked the long side pieces on top of the drawer units to make a cutting table. It ought to be a bit higher really, but it's good enough. I bought a desk with a slide out extension from Ikea for my sewing machine and overlocker.

The photos don't really do it justice, and it is still work in progress, but it's really nice to have a proper sewing space all to myself.

Before and after -

Edit: and I've no clue why all the photos are the wrong way around...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:54:20 AM by Snippet »

Gernella

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2017, 13:17:38 PM »
That looks lovely although maybe too tidy for a slut like me even on work in progress.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

twopence

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2017, 18:00:31 PM »
I do envy those that actually have rooms for their sewing.  I have my sewing machine in a Horn cabinet that also takes my overlocker which stands in what was the kitchen end of the dining room along with a cupboard beside it to take bits and bobs.  Work in progress is often hung from a wall light nearby.  I use my dining table raised with elephant feet and covered with a board to cut out on although I did have a long run of units when the kitchen was redone so that I have a long surface for cutting out smaller pieces.  My fabrics are spread in various rooms and plastic boxes in the roof - can't get up there at the moment so it's a good job they are not quilting bits.  I have one drawer in what DD2 still thinks of as her bedroom with quilting fabrics and one with mainly silks that she has brought me back from China and India.  Oh and there are also some fabrics hanging on hangers washed and ready to cut out in the wardrobe.  DD2 will need to keep her clothes in her suitcase while she is here.  I've thought about getting one of those fabric shoe hangers for DS's wardrobe to put fabric in.

I still have a chunky knitting machine in a wardrobe and as I also had an electronic one an frightening amount of coned wool wrapped up in the roof and I do mean frightening.

Morgan

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2017, 12:09:35 PM »
. . .   I've thought about getting one of those fabric shoe hangers for DS's wardrobe to put fabric in . . .
I used 2 canvas shoe hangers in a wardrobe for fabric and they were great.  I liked to roll up the pieces.  The fabric is in another room now but I still use the hangers, this time for rolled up towels and the bedding for a single bed. 
They're also handy for boxes of the right size.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:12:42 PM by Morgan »

Gernella

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 15:41:50 PM »
I've not got the shoe hangers but I have got the one with the pockets, which hangs over the door.  Hides a multitude of sins:  air fresher (the cat's litter!), zips, (long short, open ended) bags, Carpet cleaner, carpet tools, unused mice (batteries dead), charging units, kitchen roll, iron cleaner, dusters, binoculars, old camera, moth packs.  Very useful!  On top of the door I have one of those clothes hanger with around six spaces for coat hangers.  Trouble is there is that much weight on it the door is always open, can't hide the rubbish away.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lantana

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2017, 23:31:40 PM »
Here's one corner of my sewing room. My Janome is out of shot but I think the Singer is more photogenic. She's called Margaret after her first owner, the mother of the e-bay seller. As yet I've not used her as much as I intended

Photo one ..... Now you see it.

Had got the Now you don't but for some reason it's not loading ...comes up with stuff telling me why not which is making no sense this late at night! I'l think about it in the morning! Stoooopid computers don't they know they are our servants!

L xxx
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 23:44:03 PM by Lantana »

Lyn-J

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2017, 07:42:52 AM »
These pictures were taken a couple of years back, just after a bit of a refurb
north by Lyn-J, on Flickr

east by Lyn-J, on Flickr

Fabric by Lyn-J, on Flickr

thread by Lyn-J, on Flickr

Yarn by Lyn-J, on Flickr

Of course its still just as tidy  ;)

crooknees

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2017, 18:06:40 PM »
My sewing room doesn't have any space. It really is jammed with furniture and machines. Slightly less than 9ft. square and there are 2 knitting machines, an overlocker on an old wash-stand, a sewing/embroidery machine in an old cabinet, an old straight stitich machine (used for mending horse stuff), a chest of drawers holding embroidery frames, 2 chairs, and a dress-makers model. Every available surface on top, inside  or underneath is covered with plastic boxes containing fabric and patterns. I will take a photo when I can find somewhere to stand!

Lantana

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2017, 19:58:05 PM »
Blimey Crooknees ....where do you do your sewing ?

:vintage:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2017, 20:15:50 PM »
Phew, that's a lot in that space crookness. Would like to see how you organise it.   :)

jen

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2017, 15:06:21 PM »
I've finally got my sewing space reorganised. As Morgan wrote, the biggest headache is fabric storage, and that isn't really resolved, but it's now well enough tucked away to be able to get to the necessary equipment without hassle. I don't have custom built units and tables, all is a bit make do and mend. I've grouped stuff according to activity, and included places to put things while they're waiting to be filed away in the right place, temporary holding areas, because I know I will never get to Datcat's level of perfection. So, there's a rack for downloads that haven't migrated to the proper place, a small box for patterns not filed, a dish for bits and bobs of buttons etc not yet in the right box and an envelope for pattern pieces that have strayed from home. Everything but the current project, all that mending and half-abandoned WIP stuff, is stuffed into a large zip up plastic bag thrown under the cutting table. The habit I really want to kill is covering flat surfaces with projects in waiting.