The Sewing Place

Fell out of love with this

Ploshkin

Fell out of love with this
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:09:11 PM »
I've made myself sit down this morning and finish off this cushion cover - still need a cushion pad for it.
Ages ago I came across the image of the honeybee queen on the comb surrounded by her court and just loved it.  I decided to use it + a couple more as an exercise in printing images onto fabric which I hadn't done before.  It was done with a transfer paper but actually leaves the image fabric rather stiff so I would need to use something else if I wanted to put images on a quilt (which I did but that moment has passed).

It's been coming & going in and out of the cupboard for about a year and I have liked it less each time (not the original image, just the whole thing).  Final straw was the completely wrong choice of fabric for the binding but I really couldn't be bothered taking it off and finding something else.  It's only going to sit on the sofa bed in the spare / sewing room.
Life's too short for ironing.

rubywishes

Re: Fell out of love with this
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »
And "done" is good, and functional is even better. Congrats for gritting your teeth and soldiering on! :toast:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »
It's lovely, a job well done  :toast:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lantana

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 13:56:00 PM »
It's finished ... well done!

You learnt a lot .... always a good thing.

I think it's lovely! It may not have turned out quite as you'd imagined but really it is very pleasing. I can see why you went for the image. The guests in your room will love it I'm sure  <3

:vintage:

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 14:43:34 PM »
I really like it. It's only in comparison with the image in your head that it comes up wanting. I also find that the longer you look at something, the less you can see what it looks like. I'd just put it out on a chair - downstairs - and wait for the compliments. Well done!