The Sewing Place

Over locker and coverstitch shopping

Bogwoppit

Over locker and coverstitch shopping
« on: January 05, 2019, 20:54:30 PM »
I'm going to buy an overlocker and coverstitch as my christmas/birthday present.  I have been researching for about a month and keep going round in circles, so I though I'd ask the collective mind to help (or add more confusion).

I will go and try machines, but am trying to narrow down what I want to try.  I'm pretty technically minded and don't mind a learning curve.  I sew t-shirts and jogging bottoms on my sewing machine for my boys, would like to manage delicate materials for myself and have a neighbour who runs a dance school so tempted to have a go at costumes for fun (this isn't strictly speaking necessary but would be interesting).

So if you had about £1k, what would you get?
I had thought maybe Pfaff coverlock 3.0 as I sew on the dining table and it would be only one machine to move.
Or 2/3/4 thread overlocker and separate coverlocker but there are so many I don't know where to start.

So if you had about £1k, what would you get?  Hoping to be under this limit so posh Babylocks are out.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Efemera

Re: Over locker and coverstitch shopping
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 21:10:31 PM »
The Juki coverstitch seems to be the most popular after the Babylock..Just seen a Bernette overlocker on FBA market place for £150... ( they were made by Juki] I’ve had mine for over 25 years, it’s a real workhorse, copes with anything.

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 21:10:53 PM »
I can see that a combination machine is an attractive idea spacewise. However, if you're sewing mostly knits, would you want to keep changing the machine configuration? On the knit top I just made I used my sewing machine for basting & gathering, the overlocker for assembly and the coverstitcher for hems and for the neck binding which was done in the middle of the overlocking. I'd have needed to change the settings 3 times. If this is quick & easy then fine, but make sure you try this before committing.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 23:55:15 PM »
If you have got the space go for two separate machines, it can be quite a faff to change them around.

I have a Bernina 1150 which isn't made any more, but I think the current Berninas are around £700.

My Elna 444 coverstitcher is the same as Janome 1000cp.  There was a bit of a learning curve on that but we've got used to each other - and it's easy to thread.  Current models about £500
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 12:16:24 PM »
Definitely two separate machines or you won’t use them properly.
The new Berninas are lovely.  Budget wise I’d think about a Janome cover stitch and then  Bernina or Juki overlocker.  Brother overlockers are easy to thread but having used several I can’t say I’m a fan. 
And on the cheaper end I have used a Jaguar which I really liked.  Very easy to thread, sounded nice and product nice stitch.  They used to make a cheaper machine for Babylock but not now. 
If you can get to try them out and see how they thread that would be best.

So Chic

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 15:59:09 PM »
Definitely two machines as they are too much faff to change from overlock to coverstitch especially as most coverstitch machines use a special needle.  I have a Janome 1000CP and a Bernina 800DL and both are easy to use and thread.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Holly Berry

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 17:44:37 PM »
Another one here for 2 machines. I have a Juki 734DE overlocker and a Janome 1000cp coverstitch

I love the Juki but have reservations about the Janome. I find it’s a lot of trial and error to get the stitch right and after wear and washing the stitches break. I always have practice runs which work well, but find the longer runs ie round the hem results in poor stitch formation. It doesn’t seem to like going slowly and stopping! I’ve tried a variety of threads and stabilising/not stabilising.  I will more than likely get a Juki coverstitch in the future. They just feel so much more robust, the Janome feels a bit plasticky.
Procrastination get behind me

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »
I agree that the Janome 1000 (mine is it's identical twin Elna 444) feels a bit plasticy and can be tempramental.  With the settings right the stitching is usually OK now, but it doesn't like cheap thread, especially when it comes to pulling the threads through to lock them.  I find that if it won't co-operate opening the front flap and releasing the lever for the looper thread does the trick.  Just remember to push it back again because the machine won't automatically flip it back the way my Bernina overlocker does with the lower looper.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bogwoppit

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 11:41:31 AM »
Thank you all so much for your replies.  Now I'm back at home and sorted I can type a proper reply using a proper keyboard. Wwe've been on the grand tour or relatives for the last 2 weeks. Now the boys are back at school and I can relax a bit.

The Juki looked very interesting - especially as I could read the manual online.  But I couldn't find anywhere to try them.  Lots more searching and reading similar quandaries on Fb and pattern review made me realise I was getting caught up in the fancy talk and as I've not actually used one before.  Taking a whole day to travel to Manchester or Blackburn to compare things I had no experience of was not going to be a very efficient use of time.  Just because I have the money doesn't mean I should spend it all at once and as my husband said I should buy more expensive material now  I can make things that we actually wear (he has two test shirts in cheap material).

Decided to get a F&R overlocker from SMD to play with and see how I get on.  Also buying a second bobbin case for my sewing machine as I had nearly cracked twin needle for hems by adjusting the bobbin tension but had to swtich back to normal.  Now I can set the new one up and eliminate the need for coverstitch until I have enough room in the house.  I have enough things to be getting on with (the Aldi fat quarter quilt for one) to not need two new toys!

Discovered the overlocker has twins under different names and there are youtube videos that I will be watching on Wed or Fri depending on when delivery is.

Hey - I think I've cracked hyperlinks.  They aren't new to me but I'm 13 years away from my last desk job and only muck about on these things now.

Thanks again everyone.
Lisa

jintie

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 12:44:30 PM »
ejvc on another site suggests using honeycomb stitch (if your sewing machine has this) instead of a coverstitch. I have tried it, and it works on a medium weight jersey ok, but is less successful on a lighter weight.
I have a Bernina combo overlocker/coverstitch and it is a PIG to alter. I think I did it once successfully. 

Rottweiler with scissors

Bogwoppit

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 13:09:59 PM »
I used the honeycomb (or something like it) on the sweat pants I made for my eldest in November.  They have a contrast side panel and I went over the seams to make a feature like on his bought one.  It looks great but was very time consuming, noisy and there are a few places where the thread broke and I had to start again.  Only I know those bits and no-one else will get that close to a 10 year olds legs to notice even if he stayed still enough.

It was making those with the overlocking foot on my sewing machine that convinced me it was time for an overlocker. They took a very long time and his legs are only going to get longer.  I made them for him as he has a rounded bum, tiny waist and short legs and it's painful getting him anywhere near a shop. 

Holly Berry

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 13:32:12 PM »
I have a 40 year old Frister Rossmann overlocker that is still going strong. Very easy to thread and use, shame it’s only 3 thread. Hope yours will be as good.
Procrastination get behind me

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 14:28:55 PM »
@Bogwoppit if you do decide to go down the coverstitch route I have a Janome 2000, never been used, for sale.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Bogwoppit

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 21:19:32 PM »
Thanks @sewmuchmore. I'd noticed but seeing as my new overlocker has joined my sewing machine under the end of the kitchen table, I think I need a house sort out first!

I had fun playing today, learning threading, tensions, positioning, speed.  Didn't make much apart from a huge mess when I knocked the scrap catcher off and a very smart looking dishcloth when practicing corners.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 23:25:16 PM »
Rolled edges are fun to do, they give such a neat finish.  I used different coloured threads in needles and loopers on a silky patterned dress, picking up the colours from the pattern and that looks really good ( all tawny shades)  Don't like the shape of the sleeves but that's another story
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m