The Sewing Place

First attempt!

Yellowfeather

First attempt!
« on: January 06, 2019, 14:18:22 PM »
My son came home from uni just before Christmas, and asked me if I would make him something to give to his girlfriend for a present.  How hard can that be???  "What would she like?" I stupidly asked.  "Well she asked for a stuffed toy version of a character in one of the computer games she plays" he says.  Well, never having heard of said computer game, let alone the character in question, I had to rely on Google images, which helped a bit.  Anyway, there was no way I could do it before Christmas day, but had a go in the days after, and sent a photo of it to my son, (who has very helpfully gone back to uni!).  He is pleased with it, so just waiting to see what the girlfriend thinks! (lots of nail biting). :S

Acorn

Re: First attempt!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 15:21:05 PM »
Wow - amazing!  He's going to get so many Brownie points - I just hope he lets you have a few of them!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 16:20:02 PM »
That’s just brilliant! Gold stars all around.
You are certainly very talented at bringing a computer animated cartoon character to life. I hope both of them appreciate your efforts.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 16:45:07 PM »
Presumably you did that without a pattern.  I'm seriously impressed and I'm sure she will love it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 21:14:32 PM »
That's very impressive. He owes you one!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 01:11:37 AM »
Fantastic!!! I'm sure she is going to love Ripto.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »
Thank you for your kind comments!  I don't make stuffed toys, and was really dubious that I could do this one (nothing quite like throwing yourself in at the deep end. is there!).  Anyway, I am fairly pleased with it, but if I ever make another I would tweak it a little.

Presumably you did that without a pattern.  I'm seriously impressed and I'm sure she will love it.
No pattern, unfortunately!  That would have made my life a whole lot easier if I had found one.  I spend ages looking at the pictures of the character, and trying to decide how to get the head shape right.  There were a few tries that ended up in the bin.

That's very impressive. He owes you one!

He most certainly does!!!   :D :D

Nevis5

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 16:02:25 PM »
Wow, no pattern?!  Doubly fantastic!