The Sewing Place

Trying on...

JillH

Re: Trying on...
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 14:47:33 PM »
That's why I tend to use Lutterloh patterns now.  Every pattern I draw up I narrow the shoulders, lower the bust and raise the waist (good job they don't meet 0_0).   I then cut it out in cheap fabric to see if any more changes are needed,  usually not much needed.  I buy sheets or duvet covers from charity shops to use for testing, they last quite a long time and they're cheap.
Once I have a pattern fitting nicely I use it again and again, changing the sleeve, neckline or length to make them all look different.
Jill -  trying to grow old disgracefully.

Kenora

Re: Trying on...
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 21:35:00 PM »
Dressmaking for me is full of contrasts. I dislike intensely the cutting out stage but enjoy making changes to the paper pattern. I'm not keen on doing alterations at the toile stage, although I will make them if necessary. If I have to try the garment on too many times I tend to lose interest. It can then hang on the outside of the wardrobe for months before I push myself to tackle it again. I still have a pair of trousers half-made that I started over a year ago. :S They fit well, after a lot of effort, but I've lost the motivation to continue with them. :\

Conversely, I love the pressing stages and religiously press after every seam. I actively enjoy it (although I loathe ironing). I love making clothes for children, where there's little or no fitting required. And when it comes to quilting, it's the sense of freedom from having to fit something that makes it so enjoyable. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath