The Sewing Place

Log cabin quilt

Stitches

Log cabin quilt
« on: January 08, 2019, 18:01:35 PM »
I would love to do a log cabin quilt does anyone know how much fabric I need its for a double bed

Pearl

Re: Log cabin quilt
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 18:21:54 PM »
This is in yards but hope it helps.  What colours are you planning to use?

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 18:22:34 PM »
Forgot the attachment!

Stitches

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 18:37:21 PM »
Many thanks Pearl.browns and cream hopefully my quilt shop has a sale on this week

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 18:56:47 PM »
Lovely.  I look forward to seeing it. 

Deafoldbat

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 18:58:17 PM »
Do a little thinking too on how you'll want to lay out the blocks. Straight Furrows - the layout in Pearl's piccy is the only log cabin layout that works with odd numbers, apart from laying all the blocks the same way up, so unless you like lopsided (call it 'modern' and you'll get away with it ;)) layouts you'll need an even number of blocks across and down. If you think of them as HSTs you can draw plans quite easily on squared paper. Hours of indecision may await!

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 21:40:29 PM »
I would love to do a log cabin quilt does anyone know how much fabric I need its for a double bed

As a rule of thumb, unless your pieces are exceptionally small or really huge, I reckon that the top of a quilt will require twice the area of the finished quilt.  That's to allow for all the seam allowances and a small amount of wastage.

So, for example, if your finished quilt will be 90" x 90" and the fabric is 45" wide you will need about 360" = 10 yards.  The fabric is more likely to be 42" wide so compensate and reckon on 10m.  That's 40 metric FQs (half metre x half width) or about 45 imperial FQs (18" x half width).
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 07:44:11 AM »
Do a little thinking too on how you'll want to lay out the blocks. Straight Furrows - the layout in Pearl's piccy is the only log cabin layout that works with odd numbers, apart from laying all the blocks the same way up, so unless you like lopsided (call it 'modern' and you'll get away with it ;)) layouts you'll need an even number of blocks across and down. If you think of them as HSTs you can draw plans quite easily on squared paper. Hours of indecision may await!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......hours says she. (Try months more like.....).  :[ ...and I still haven't decided.  0_0
Log cabin was the very first pattern I ever did so I have a soft spot for it. I'm looking forward to seeing your results @Stitches
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 03:21:41 AM »
Only months? Log cabin was the first quilt I wanted to make. I bought a book even. Was that in 1977 or 1978? They used templates and scissors. Still have the book. Still want to make a log cabin quilt.

Good luck with yours!!!  :toast:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 07:54:02 AM »
My first quilt was a log cabin wall hanging nearly 30 years ago - I still have it.  It was quilt as you go and I used curtain fabric and measured all the strips with a tape measure and cut them with scissors.  Log cabin is still my favourite pattern.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 08:49:44 AM »
July's BOM was a beautiful Log cabin block by @StitchinTime  ...... check it out here
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 09:46:07 AM »
I must admit that although I can admire people's log cabin quilts it's not a block I'm fond of. I don't mind the "courthouse steps" version, but I find it all a bit  :\
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 08:38:53 AM »
Only months? Log cabin was the first quilt I wanted to make. I bought a book even. Was that in 1977 or 1978? They used templates and scissors. Still have the book. Still want to make a log cabin quilt.

Good luck with yours!!!  :toast:

Me too I could have written this post,   I did make a couple of test blocks, still hoping one day :loveit: :loveit:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 08:09:04 AM »
Celia, you got farther than I did. 0_0
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.