The Sewing Place

Twisty headband pattern for woven and knit?

Francesca

Twisty headband pattern for woven and knit?
« on: January 09, 2019, 12:23:40 PM »
I've recently fallen in love with the trend of these twisty headbands. Problem is my head is too gigantic to wear shop-bought ones as they squeeze my head, give me a headache, and cause my hair to puff up like a mushroom cloud.

But I thought they'd make good patterns for scraps - especially nice when I have a favourite fabric design that I'd like to get more wear out of.

I've been able to find lots of knitting patterns for them, and several for knit fabrics, but I ideally want one for woven (with an elasticated back portion that ruches so it can fit my head). Has anyone seen one?

Yellowfeather

Re: Twisty headband pattern for woven and knit?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 13:52:53 PM »
Fran, I think they are made by just making two loops of fabric one wrapped over/under the other, then joined at the raw edges to make a circle.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 14:07:30 PM »
Hmm, the ones I've seen for sale seem to have some more shaping to them, and some of them seem to knot/interlock in the middle in a way I can't figure out. I'm not sure they're all as simple as that (though I suppose that would work in a way). Also they aren't just singular strips but have some ruching across the length so they are fuller than just a single strip of fabric.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 14:19:33 PM »
@Francesca what about this
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

TheresaG

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 16:30:32 PM »
@TheresaG  thanks that link is PERFECT. Sorry it took me a while to respond, I must've missed this.

Off to dig through my scraps now.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 03:43:36 AM »
Thanks Theresa! I can use that too. The ones I bought were too small for me. And my hat size is medium, so it's the bands, not me.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sewcycle

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 20:11:57 PM »
Sewmuchmore, thanks for that link. I was reading through Francesca’s query and thought this would be perfect for my daughter. I’m sure she’ll like the jersey version.
'Is there a life before breakfast'