The Sewing Place

Sewing tulle and silk

Bodgeitandscarper

Sewing tulle and silk
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:46:21 AM »
My dearest daughter is going to be bridesmaid for my son's wedding in late May.  She will be about 37 weeks pregnant, and needs an outfit.
The little darling has asked me if I can make her a wrap around skirt - ok, I though, probably.  then she sent me pics of ideas.  NO, I don't sew tulle and silk etc!  Or do I?
How difficult are they to sew, should I try, bearing in mind my username  0_0

BrendaP

Re: Sewing tulle and silk
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 10:01:36 AM »
My dearest daughter is going to be bridesmaid for my son's wedding in late May.  She will be about 37 weeks pregnant,

I hope the baby doesn't arrive early.  ><  :o  :S  :[

For sewing silk and tulle @DementedFairy is the one to ask.  All I can advise is sharp scissors, fine pins and a new fine needle in your machine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 12:35:42 PM »
Tulle is absolutely fine to sew with although the cut edges of the stiff stuff may tend to catch on itself.

Silk rather depends on the type I think, the fine fluid slippery type being much more tricky. DF will undoubtedly have good advice.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 13:41:53 PM »
Was it tulle DF used in the wedding dress? She might just say run away quick!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 09:49:08 AM »
This is the look we are after - maybe I've not got the right fabric - what do people think is used for a skirt like this?  I just don't know what these sorts of fabrics are called...

Missie

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 09:58:31 AM »
That looks to me to be a soft tulle (not to be confused with dress net).  I personally think it is lovely to sew, and no hemming required!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 10:27:03 AM »
Ooh, that's good to know, thanks @Missie
Do you have any idea where to buy it, and I presume it's a lining with a layer of the soft tulle over?

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 11:24:09 AM »
If I were making  in would approach the skirt by cutting a piece of sturdy ribbon to the size required where it will join the top.

See the lining to the ribbon leaving it a bit unsewn to allow for the insertion of the zip later.

Then put the ribbon and lining on a dressform or around your daughter and then deal and pin the tulle until it looks how you want

Make sure everything is very firmly pinned to tacked to the ribbon before removing from the dressform.

Then sew skirt to top and add zip.

There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 17:18:44 PM »
You can buy this type of soft drapey tulle from Trim-It in Blackpool in lots of colours. It's called Dreamweave and is lovely to sew with just as Missie says.

It looks as though the style illustrated is gathered at the waist. Normally for a ballroom look we avoid gathering and use circle skirts for a full but sleeker look, however, this type of net is so soft and light that it will gather nicely without enormously increasing the visual width.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 18:32:49 PM »
A skirt with a waist band at 37 weeks pregnant? :o

I think you would be better aiming for a dress with a high waist.  Maybe softly elasticated, and adjustable under the bust.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 19:02:00 PM »
A skirt with a waist band at 37 weeks pregnant? :o

I think you would be better aiming for a dress with a high waist.  Maybe softly elasticated, and adjustable under the bust.
Yes, I agree!! I was thinking of trying to shape it so it sits above her bump and then goes lower at the back - but no idea if that would work. 
I have now persuaded her to buy this dress and then we can make a different top for it - if she likes it.  At that price it's cheaper than buying material.