The Sewing Place

Morris Hexathon - my first hand-pieced quilt

StitchinTime

Morris Hexathon - my first hand-pieced quilt
« on: April 04, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »
Last year Barbara Brackman posted a series of pieced hexagon blocks as part of a weekly sew along. I didn't manage to keep up with the schedule so I am several months late in having a completed quilt, but I have finally got there.

There are 32 blocks in total  which I pieced using the EPP technique and, with exception of three fat quarters bought for fussy cutting, all fabrics and the backing were from stash, though the size of my stash doesn't seem to have shrunk much.

If anyone fancies making some (or all) of the hexagons, the details are available on Barbara Brackman's blog:
http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/eppperfect-beckys-morris-hexathon-blocks.html

Lantana

Re: Morris Hexathon - my first hand-pieced quilt
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:39:52 AM »
What a lovely quilt! gorgeous colours and it's hanging so beautifully! What wadding did you use and how did you quilt it?

As far as I'm concerned you've finished it in super quick time. Well done!  :)

L :vintage:

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »
I just backed it with fleece and didn't include a wadding. As I didn’t have to worry about quilting distances and given the complex piecing on the front, I decided to keep the quilting simple and just stitched in the black sections about 1/4" from the hexagons. I went from edge to edge, crossing over at the points of each hexagon, so there were no thread ends to bury.

Lantana

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 13:44:48 PM »
Good idea works very well  :)

:vintage:

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 14:11:31 PM »
I tend to shy away from hexagons, they make me think of the tedious patchwork that we did as children with each piece of fabric folded and tacked over a paper shape before joining them together.
That, however, is lovely and really shows the versatility of hexagons.  Paper piecing is on my list of things to try, so you never know.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 14:40:01 PM »
I too thought hexies were only EPP... and hated them for that very reason, but this is something else, its gorgeous!

Very well done But Im refusing to look anymore as I don't need yet another project!

Bravo ..... :toast:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 15:52:56 PM »
I used glue basting rather than thread tacking for these, Ploshkin. If I'd thread tacked, I think I would still be sewing or would have given up halfway through.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 16:55:59 PM »
Surely, Stitchintime said that the hexagons are done by EPP? or have I misread it?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

twopence

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 17:11:34 PM »
Lovely.  I am preparing some hexagons to make a quilt which probably won't be a large as yours.  Instead of paper I am using fabric insets that I originally saw at Malvern last year which are slightly padded on one side and give a very nice finish.  I made 7 small wreaths as Christmas tree decorations for all our our children but the couples had to share.

StitchinTime

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 19:44:00 PM »
Thank you, Morgan. I enjoyed plodding away at this - it made quite a change from my other EPP work in progress (currently on hold for the last year) which involves 5/8" hexagons.

Just to clarify - I think Barbara Brackman designed this pattern for hand piecing but most of the designs were suitable for EPP too, though the curved pieces were a bit challenging.