The Sewing Place

dollhouse dolls

indigotiger

dollhouse dolls
« on: May 17, 2019, 04:42:12 AM »
I just fell in love with this Ann Wood pattern for the Tiny Rag Doll... she is only five inches tall! I am going to cut out a few and tuck them into my bag for sewing when I am out and about. the seams are so small that they are actually easier to sew by hand than on the machine. I stitched up this one when I was riding the bus to a medical appointment, and while waiting to be seen. Years ago I really loved miniatures, and perhaps it is time to revisit that enthusiasm...
Next I will need to sew her some tiny clothing, and probably make her a friend or two... Has anyone else ever sewed dollhouse dolls?
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

annieeg

Re: dollhouse dolls
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 06:12:24 AM »
@indigotiger
That is super and such a good idea to have a  portable project..
I have never tried making dolls and wouldn't know where to start. :(
Annie

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 06:38:59 AM »
Wow! Shes lovely.

I have a dolls house and all the trimmings in the loft.

It was made by my mum for my 5th birthday and I resurrected it in the 90's and filled it with grown up dolls house furniture etc etc (what a money pit!) but since we moved here there is no room for it, so up in the loft it went!

Be careful Indigotiger; as room comes available, I might drag it down and commission a family from you !!!!

Looking forward to seeing the clothes or are you going to name her Lucy Godiva ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Nevis5

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 07:19:42 AM »
Aw, @indigotiger , she's so sweet!  I'm not sure I'd have the patience now to make such teeny things but in my (far off) youth, I would have loved to sew something like that.

My DD has just given our childhood doll's house to one of her primary schools - they are so short of funding they have almost no toys for the children to play with.  The teacher was so overcome she cried with gratitude.  Made me cry too.  So glad someone can use it, and it made a nice big space in our loft, too  0_0

fajita

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 08:16:06 AM »
I've not considered doing anything so small. Another job on the list of 'one of these days' jobs.

Will you draft a pattern and make garments, or drape and stitch where they fit?

WendyW

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 08:45:30 AM »
I have this pattern, but I haven't actually sewn with it since the 80's. I completed a family with clothing.

When I was in high school, one of my Christmas presents was all the supplies, tools, and instructions to build a Victorian doll house from scratch, and this pattern, along with a couple for furnishings, were included. The house has never been completed. The floors and individual walls are done, but never assembled. I carted it around through many moves with military life. We never had room for a large dollhouse, and didn't trust that it would make it through a move unbroken. When we bought this house almost 20 yrs ago it went into the garage and stayed there. Now I want to finish it and make it a joint project to decorate with my granddaughter when she gets a little older. I need to take over more of our basement to put it in, and get my craft room more organized so we have work space. She's just turning 3 next month so I have a few more years.

Ann

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 11:06:31 AM »
What a great doll and I'm sure you will have a family of them soon to love and sew for.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

indigotiger

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 02:12:45 AM »
I am doing my best not to fall down the miniature rabbit hole of making tiny things, but I decided that my first doll was lonely, so I made her a friend.
I used scraps leftover from my blouse fabric (brown/cream linen chambray), and I decided to try a slightly different hairstyle. Apparently her name is "Zinnia" and her somewhat old-fashioned friend is named "Hazel". They will require me to sew them some clothing, more than just their wee felt shoes.
Will you draft a pattern and make garments, or drape and stitch where they fit?
The pattern for the Tiny Rag Doll comes complete with some garment patterns, and Ann Wood has a few more doll clothing patterns for free on her blog. I also want to try making some simple Viking Age clothing, since I do a lot of historic recreation as my other hobby.
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

Ann

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »
Love your dolls and can't wait to see what you make them. Enjoy them as they are beautiful.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

BayCreekGal

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 23:42:07 PM »
I adore your dolls, @indigotiger.  They have such presence for being so tiny.

I've been making dolls from Ann Wood's pattern since she first published it.  I have to say, I just love the pattern.  I've sewn eight of the dolls, with another one cut out and ready to stitch together.  I've sewn the clothes from the pattern for them and also skirts and pants similar to the bloomers in Ann's pattern.  I've also been knitting and crocheting for the dolls.  I recently designed a knitted dress to fit them.  You can get the free pattern for that here if you are interested:  Cap Sleeved Dress for Tiny Rag Dolls.

These are my first four dolls.

Most of my dolls have crocheted wigs instead of the fabric wigs in Ann's pattern.

I'm currently on day 78/100 of an Instagram #100dayproject featuring these little dolls. Here are a few of my favorite pics from that project.

WendyW.  That is a neat looking pattern.  It looks like the dolls have embroidery floss hair.  My latest tiny doll has an embroidery floss wig.

As you can see my dolls have rather varied tastes in clothing.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 19:11:14 PM by BayCreekGal »

fajita

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 23:49:21 PM »
Beautiful set of doll pictures.

Barcoded

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 06:37:00 AM »
What huge lettuces your friends are growing!
I think I have joined the 201 club

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 08:39:27 AM »
Oh they are gorgeous - and what fantastic photos too!!   0_0

That's really brightened up my morning.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 08:45:28 AM »
I'm afraid that dolls do nothing for me but I can appreciate the creativity, skill and patience that goes into making something so small and detailed.
Life's too short for ironing.

BayCreekGal

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 19:13:24 PM »
Thank you, @fajita!

I'm glad you enjoyed them, @Acorn.  Thank you.