The Sewing Place

Patchwork of the Crosses

twopence

Patchwork of the Crosses
« on: January 11, 2019, 20:34:15 PM »
This has been my hand sewing over the Christmas holidays and will be a panel on a cushion.  I have enjoyed the way it builds and may do a larger quilt as I like the effects that can be made by using fabrics in a different order.

Ellabella

Re: Patchwork of the Crosses
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 20:55:18 PM »
That’s beautiful, very serene.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 21:37:47 PM »
Very pretty.

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 14:33:56 PM »
Elegant!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

twopence

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 16:05:56 PM »
Finished this the other day so here’s the photo

Celia

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 16:41:35 PM »
That is lovely how did you attach the patchwork to the fabric, I hope you don’t mind me asking it’s just that I have a similar piece sewn  and cannot work out a way to finish it.

twopence

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 18:14:14 PM »
@Celia I placed the work onto the fabric for the front of the cushion, tacked it into place and then hand stitched together round the edge.  I then turned it over and cut out the centre of the main fabric about a quarter of an inch away from the hand stitching but in a straight line not following the shape.  I then layered it and tacked the layers together before quilting into some of the lozenge shapes - the central ones and the outer ring. Then I finished making the cushion.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 19:22:09 PM »
Thank you so much, I think I will try the same, I would love to have the piece finished, it’s not as lovely as yours but I would love to try another, I enjoy the hand work but then get a bit stuck on what to do with it.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 08:09:57 AM »
@twopence that is absolutely stunning.  :loveit:
An heirloom.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 08:39:36 AM »
I placed the work onto the fabric for the front of the cushion, tacked it into place and then hand stitched together round the edge.  I then turned it over and cut out the centre of the main fabric about a quarter of an inch away from the hand stitching but in a straight line not following the shape.  I then layered it and tacked the layers together before quilting into some of the lozenge shapes - the central ones and the outer ring. Then I finished making the cushion.

Blimey!!!   :o   :S

I'd have just fused it and stitched it round the edge ... truly an heirloom piece @twopence, exquisite!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 08:53:49 AM »
@twopence just one more question at what stage did you take the edge paper templates out, this is one of the things that has confused me.

twopence

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 11:25:30 AM »
@Celia sorry, I took the paper templates out when I’d finished that part and tacked round the edge to keep the turnings in place.  I pressed it well when I took the papers out too.

Celia

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 14:22:28 PM »
Thank you @twopence, you have helped a lot.

Elnnina

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 15:06:16 PM »
Oh Twopence that is absolutely stunning, think I need to come and see it for myself!!!!!!!!!!  Or of course you could bring it with you when you are next over this way.

debs

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 18:27:36 PM »
It's beautiful.