The Sewing Place

Help needed. Does anyone have a small scrap of DSI Twinkie fabric?

Marniesews

I'm trying to source options for ballroom skirts and need a sample of DSI Twinkle. It seems I can't order a small sample piece as they come on cards in a selection of colours (not what I need) and I don't really want to buy half a metre for a minimum 10cm square piece.

Does anyone have an unwanted scrap in any colour that they could send me for a refund of postage & packing please?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Marniesews

Re: Help needed. Does anyone have a small scrap of DSI Twinkie fabric?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 22:23:34 PM »
Looks like I was misinformed and I can buy an individual sample from them. I'll call them on Monday to see what size they can send but if anyone does have a waste piece lying about I'm very happy to pay postage for that instead as the colour isn't important.

Thank you

:)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewingforfun

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »
I've used it, but I don't think I've got any scraps (or more to the point, I'm not sure if the remnant I do have is DSI or Chrisanne).

But what is the question if it's not colour? It's an organza, very very sheer with a fair amount of shine (hence twinkle), and decent body, but horrendously static-y! It's slightly more sheer and slightly more supple than the Chrisanne organza, but slightly thicker than one I got from Whitelodge. You'd need 3-4 layers to make it opaque if you didn't put a solid under layer.

Does a picture of my hand under a single layer help?

xx
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:21:44 PM by Sewingforfun »
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 02:56:57 AM »
I can see why you ask... I've been doing a repair to a DSI dress and took the opportunity to examine the underskirts (what a surprise). It's a similar construction to the one we saw but with fewer layers hung from a single mesh upper layer so not as full as the one we poured over at the workroom tour. It creates a different profile which I rather like though. The fabric was a shiny sheer organza with more body than the ones I've had before which were probably more akin to the White Lodge one you mentioned.

I seem to recall it's a nylon organza so I thought I'd get a sample and see if there was similar elsewhere that would do the job and possibly save a few pounds as I'm always underestimating the cost of the underskirts. Of course, using shorter layers will save money but all the extra crin offsets the saving.

Anyway, that's why I was asking but your comment on the static of it gives me pause for thought. The stuff in the dress didn't seem too bad but crackling underskirts don't sound fun. I use anti-static lining quite a bit but it's much softer than the organza. I suppose I should experiment a bit for my DGD, perhaps a separate skirt to wear with a leotard.  ;)  Perhaps I should post a question about fabric preferences for ballroom underskirts.