The Sewing Place

Clover mini iron

Holly Berry

Clover mini iron
« on: January 13, 2019, 17:15:07 PM »
I am debating getting one of these, but have read conflicting reviews. Does anyone have one and would you recommend?

I would mainly use in dressmaking for tricky seams and for fusing small or narrow pieces of interfacing, such as Steam a seam or strips of stabiliser. I normally use either a silk organza pressing cloth or Teflon/non stick pressing sheet between the iron and interfacing.

Procrastination get behind me

Efemera

Re: Clover mini iron
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 17:23:47 PM »
I’ve heard conflicting views too, don’t think I’d bother.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 18:54:14 PM »
I remember @Iminei getting a mini iron that was sold for something to do with model aircraft making that was (I think) a much better buy than ones sold by sewing suppliers.  Hopefully she will appear and give you the low down.
Life's too short for ironing.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 19:45:24 PM »
I don't think the little gadgets that look like trowels are up to much but I have the small steam iron and that does all you need .

https://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Craft-fabric-Steam-Iron-ansio.html#SID=472

maliw

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 19:46:15 PM »
I have one that I use for small patchwork seams, I wouldn't use it for dressmaking as I don't think it gets hot enough and also you can't put a lot of pressure on. It's useful if I want to sit with a lap tray and do some small work.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 22:19:54 PM »
I have one which I think I've used once!  :o  Theoretically it'a good for pressing the seams if you are doing hand applique or whatever.

I also have a mini travel iron - the sole plate is about 4-5" long and will take about 1/3 cup of water for steam.  That does get used occasionally.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 22:23:32 PM »
I've got one.... somewhere, but I've never used it.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 22:27:53 PM »
I use the pointer/clapper/presser for tricky seams. For pressing cushion seams for example, I put it, narrow pointy side up, inside the cushion and can then use the ordinary iron on it.

fajita

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 22:52:31 PM »
I have a small iron I keep next to my swing machine, gets a lot of use. I nip upstairs to the big iron whe ironing large pieces of cloth.
I also have the tiny iron, like on a long shaft, might be the clover one,  and use that sometimes when doll making for tiny seams.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 08:56:27 AM »

Yup, This is a Prolux Sealing Iron (shown here on a standard arrowhead block so you can get an idea of size) and its vey good.

Not as blooming dangerous as the Clover Mini Irons which, tho' not achieving usable heat, get hot nearly all over and therefore burn you.
Cheaper than a CMI.
Gets properly hot!

I took this to FOQ last year at the request of The Gourmet Quilter; she was demonstrating her new Block of the day which was applique and she loved it so much that she bought it off me and took it home to New Zealand with her

Search around for the best price, which used to be £25-£30.

Prolux google search
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Holly Berry

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 09:24:36 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback.

I don’t think it will be up to the job I need it for. I always have the iron and ironing board up when I’m sewing, so don’t need something to be at the side of me. I may invest in something like the Prym mini steam iron, although the Prolux looks interesting.

Thanks once again
Procrastination get behind me

Morgan

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 12:21:29 PM »

For dressmaking I use a nomal size iron that is set up all the time.
Also for small bits, classes, demos etc. and some patchwork/applique type projects I use a mini travel iron.

The mini/travel irons are really useful and are low cost compared with the "craft" irons.
(I also have one of the "craft" mini irons - used it once and it's back in it's packaging.  The only thing I'd ever use it for might be ironing on an applique piece inside a small embroidery hoop.)

Mini/Travel iron 1

Mini/Travel iron 2

Mini/Travel iron 3

Mini/Travel iron 4

There are others

Sewingsue

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 13:12:16 PM »
Not sure about a stash record to remind what you have I think I need an equipment record.

Looked at the examples Morgan posted, went and did other things, memory cell started to flicker.
Quick hunt at the back of the top shelf of my wardrobe.

Mini/travel iron 4 on Morgan's list - I paid about £10 less and, no, I am not admitting the date on the receipt (it actually shocked me).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 04:00:50 AM »
I have the Clover mini iron, the original with just one trowel shaped head. I love it for what I purchased it for. I make my own herb tea blends and use it to heat seal the tagless teabags. Great for that. Rubbish for fabric, as it needs to be a bit bigger.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.