The Sewing Place

Sewing machine cabinets

BlueCat

Sewing machine cabinets
« on: April 04, 2017, 12:45:43 PM »
Looking for opinions on a couple of cabinets....

Need a cabinet which doesn't take up too much space in the closed position, but has extensions to the back and (left hand) side. I am looking for something with a centre 'needle position' (whilst sitting), but most of them have panels or cupboards just to the left of the 'needle position', which would get in the way of my chair.

I know the most popular make is Horn, which is quite widely available.  The only one which Horn looks suitable, seems to be the Superior 2042.

The other make is RMF, which is manufactured in Germany, (the only UK distributor is Franklins). It would be something from their Extend range.

Anyone got either of these models? Any 'dealers' out there to avoid or recommend if I go ahead with a purchase?

I cannot get to any of the shops to see either of these models in person, and as this is a huge purchase for me, I would appreciate any feedback.

Francesca

Re: Sewing machine cabinets
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 15:54:04 PM »
I can't say I have any mentioned but I do have a Horn cabinet and it is absolutely amazing. I couldn't live without it if I'm honest!

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 17:10:10 PM »
I have an RMF and it's fabulous, so sturdy and lovely quality feel. It's not the same model as yours but I didn't choose it. If I had I'd definitely have chosen from the Extend range - so adaptable and being modular you can design your own layout in a way that you can't with Horn.

We'd looked at Horn cabinets and didn't know RMF at all until a cabinet cropped up for sale. It was in perfect condition (unused I think) and a knock-down price so we went for it like a shot despite it being 125 miles away! My OH was really impressed with the cabinet - he's quite knowledgeable about furniture and he said the hinges and components were better quality than the Horn, nice to know although I'm certainly not suggesting the Horn is poor quality at all.

The UK importer of RMF is Franklin's who have several shops but all around the SE. They do take them to shows though and there's usually a special show price so, when the time to buy approaches you could contact them and ask them when their next show is and if they'd take the model/s that you're interested in so you can check out the options before buying. They did that for me when I bought my Juki overlocker - they made sure they took that model to a quilt show that was local to me and I got a cheaper price as a result.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BlueCat

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:50:01 AM »
Thank you Fran and Marniesews.  Have checked the sizes of the Horn Superior...it's just too big, so that's a no-go.  Looked again at Horn and the Quilters Delight seems to be a much better size which might be OK (with a good centre-needle sitting position too).

Now to find a good supplier with possibly one in stock (or a quick delivery time)!

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 09:55:06 AM »
Thank you Fran and Marniesews.  Have checked the sizes of the Horn Superior...it's just too big, so that's a no-go.  Looked again at Horn and the Quilters Delight seems to be a much better size which might be OK (with a good centre-needle sitting position too).

Now to find a good supplier with possibly one in stock (or a quick delivery time)!

Mine came from GUR as I got it through a 0% finance deal with them. But I believe most places that "sell" Horn cabinets don't have them in stock and instead they just get shipped directly from Horn, so a quick delivery time will not be easy. You might get by if you find a shop that physically stocks them, I doubt many online places do. The Horn man came to my house and showed my Mum (who waited in for me) how it all worked.