The Sewing Place

The 2020 Coverlet project is on its way .....

Iminei

The 2020 Coverlet project is on its way .....
« on: January 15, 2019, 11:36:47 AM »
I have put writing this off for over a month now but Im feeling brighter today and need to get this down and the weight of it off my overtaxed mind!

Early to mid Decemberish I decided to attempt a project that would take me far, far, far from my comfort zones where I have been making a nice warm nest for myself. I decided to start then as I strongly believe that starting anything on the 1st of January is psychologically doomed to failure.

I have decided, 301 years late to the party, to remake the 1700 coverlet!

The idea appeals to me;
My very very first 'quilt' was nothing of the sort ..... a top, very inexpertly made by someone who knew absolutely NOTHING about patchwork and piecing which once it was finished, was atrociously sewn to a sheet and called good. However this is the 'quilt' that is on my bed  and I kind of love it for all its hideous inaccuracies and cock ups!

I had some knowledge of the 1700 jobby from FOQ this year;

I had seen the original ... which was all very Tutankhamumesque; Hidden within walls, sealed under glass, guarded by eagle-eyed UKQU Security you were ushered round and allowed 5 minutes of viewing only, and also seen the glorious interpretations in the 1700 coverlet competition, which ran amok with colour and design and of course I had seen Fajitas gorgeous recreation, made well early in 2015 or so!

Last November I found a Today's Quilter magazines 1700 coverlet supplement and after reading that from cover to cover bought the book and so the seed germinated.

I wanted to set myself some rules guidelines to try and keep out of my comfort zone so decided that I would ....

A) recreate it in, as much as possible, the same colourways and patterns of the original.
B) only use fabrics from stash* including alternative fabrics such as silk dupions if appropriate.
C) piece the blocks in the order placed in the book

And so I set to piecing .....

Block 1 ...

Size: 14 1/2" unfinished
Quantity: Two

OMG!
Give us an easy one why dont you EH ??
Ease us in gently ???
Nope she was having none of it!

The first block (thankfully there are only two of them in the quilt) comprised of not only quite intricate appliqued pieces
but also mitred seams. Mercifully it was also one of the larger blocks in the quilt.

Fabrics used were an Oakshott blue stripe, a wheat coloured silk dupion, some hideous pink floral, a beautiful rust coloured FQ and the most gorgeous limeish green with a subtle feathered pattern.

Ok, that was relatively easy and quite satisfying, I had all the fabrics in stash and enjoyed blanket stitching the applique.

More here

Next Block 2 .
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 08:18:54 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Missie

Re: The 2019 Coverlet project begins .....
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 11:43:56 AM »
I've just had a little search and all I can say is..........Wow!  My brain was fried just looking at the finished article.  It is beautiful though and I'm looking forward to seeing its progression.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 11:44:51 AM »
Block 2.

Size: 5" unfinished
Quantity : Two

Yet more mitred corners!
Does this EH have some sort of fetish about Mitred corners ???

A brick coloured stripe and a beige patterned interior square ...

Ah ... I'm not big on beige patterned fabric, but I rootled around and found a little something that I thought might recreate the feel of the original.

Fabrics used a brick coloured cotton and some textured beige shiny stuff (please dont ask me what)

I think I might be getting a bit better at those MC's now.

More here

Next Block 3.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:09:29 PM by Iminei »

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing this progress into a full size quilt.

You do realise that the sewing machine  :vintage: hadn't been invented in 1718.  All they had then was  :thread:

https://www.thefestivalofquilts.co.uk/things-to-do/the-galleries/patchwork-1718-coverlet/

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 12:08:47 PM »
" You're a better man than I am"
Good luck and lots of staying power required. Hasn't somebody on here done the coverlet - Pearl was it you????
At least you shouldn't get bored doing the same squares over and over. Keep us posted.

It was Fajita as far as I am aware
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:14:56 PM by Iminei »
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 12:08:51 PM »
Block 3.

Size: 5" unfinished
Quantity: Eight

And here we go with some Quarter Squared Triangles (or whatever you call them);
Now I quite like QST's so was fairly happy until I started to look at the pics of the originals.

The plains I'm all good with ...

Fabrics used Rust needle-cord, yellow curtain lining fabric ( Yup! I dont care! as long as it gives the right feel)
White cotton, Brick coloured cotton

Now you may noticed that the points are less than 100% perfect; I really not going to get my knickers in a twist about that, they will be but 8 of 255 blocks (Gulp!  :S ) so I think this will be lost in the overall composition.

There is already a join in the brick coloured cotton, which Yes! I have run out, which is slightly worrying!
but much more to the point is the fact that the four other QST's require a stripy pattern in a blue and yellow colourway which has completely thrown me!

I simply dont have anything like it in my stash, so here I am stumped at the third block!

Now you may or may not have noticed an * after one of the guidelines in the first post in this thread.
Did any of you notice that in that particular guideline I did not specify MY stash ????

So here I am, asking you girls, that if you have anything that could recreate the feel or look of the patterned fabrics in the 4 remaining blocks of block 3, would you consider sending a piece to me?
They neednt be craft cotton, could very well be a lightweight curtaining fabric or other and I dont need a lot; the blocks are 5" unfinished and I think (I made these mid-December) I'm cutting 6 1/2" squares to make these QST's but if somewhere in YOUR stash you have some remnant that might fill this space I would really really appreciate your help here ....

More Here
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:34:26 PM by Iminei »

Lowena

Re: The 2019 Coverlet project begins ..... and already I need your help!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 13:13:32 PM »
Well........flip,flap,flop me backwards and call me Minnie.... what a project to undertake......R.E.S.P.E.C.T I saw it and the interpretations at the FOQ and although it's not my  :drink: ( Ican't don't do applique ) one couldn't help being in awe of the workwomanship.
Looking forward to following your progress @Iminei I'm sure it'll be just gorgeous.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 22:31:50 PM »
I have some bits of green and yellow striped shirt fabric (charity shop buy).  Looking at the original there appears to be several striped fabrics used.  Watch out for the postman.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sandra

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »
Just so you know....I've had a rummage through all my bits and bobs and stuff, but I haven't found anything.  :(

Sandra.
xxx

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 09:59:56 AM »
Stripey blue and yellow.... I'll look  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 12:12:20 PM »
" You're a better man than I am"
Good luck and lots of staying power required. Hasn't somebody on here done the coverlet - Pearl was it you????
At least you shouldn't get bored doing the same squares over and over. Keep us posted.

It was Fajita as far as I am aware
Sorry Fajita, I knew it was somebody.

maliw

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 12:15:19 PM »
Sorry no stripey fabrics here.

Pearl

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 17:34:25 PM »
I do have some UFOs that I began in 1718, @maliw .

Excited to watch your progress, @Iminei .

maliw

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 19:46:12 PM »
Ha ha @Pearl

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »
Massive thanks to The Goddess of Colour for the beautiful package of freshly laundered shirt fabrics that plopped through the letterbox this morning ...

Totally not my types of fabric but as you can see a very good substitute for the fabrics needed for the last 4 QST's !!!

I can get on now, hopefully Block 4 will present no further problems fabric wise!