The Sewing Place

The 2020 Coverlet project is on its way .....

Acorn

Re: The 2019 Coverlet project begins ..... and already I need your help!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 10:20:33 AM »
Oh Good!  I had a look, but the fact that I have an irrational dislike of blue and yellow together means that I only have one fabric in predominantly those colours, and it definitely isn't striped.  Or a small enough pattern for this.  Or suitable for patchwork.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 16:13:05 PM »
Block 3. .... Continued

Size: 5" unfinished
Quantity: Four (of eight)

Fabrics used Grey Blue needle-cord, Blue and white striped shirting
White cotton, mustard yellow striped shirting

I know the direction of the stripes are wrong, but who is going to know?
The points match, the feel is right and Im happy.

More here
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 16:20:17 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 16:18:49 PM »
Block 4.

Quantity: Two

I had to peer at the book and pics of the original quilt for quite a while until I figured out there were actually 3 colours in one of the blocks, a dark moss green and a very dark blue (as far as I could tell) as well as the light coloured cross.

Apparently these two lil 2 1/2" squares of dark blue are the only ones in the entire top as this colour was extremely rare in the 18th century.... in fact apart from the black fabric used these are the darkest colours in the coverlet.

Fabrics used Oakshott Lipari cottons and a pale pink silk dupion

Really enjoyed making these! but I definitely need one of @rubywishes  pizza boxes for storage now!

Next Block 5 ... More Mitred corners (!) and brick coloured fabric, which as far as I know I'm now out of!
Oh well tomorrows another day!

The last two blocks are in the plastic bag because of Oakshotts propensity to fray!

More here
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 16:29:13 PM by Iminei »

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 18:41:20 PM »
the beautiful package of freshly laundered shirt fabrics that plopped through the letterbox this morning ...

Laundered yes, but not freshly laundered! They have been well matured in my stash boxes

Those fabrics all came from charity shop shirts, thrown into the washing machine as soon as I got them home, then all the seams and fiddly bits cut off and the buttons salvaged.  It's a good way of getting striped fabrics at minimal cost.  The back of a shirt is about the same size as a FQ, the sleeves and fronts another 2 FQs all for less than a full price FQ in the P&Q shop right opposite a couple of charity shops.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

Re: The 2019 Coverlet project is on its way .....
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 18:48:50 PM »
Well they still smelled beautifully fresh to my nose at least!

I will still be looking for fabrics that I simply havent got ... so if YOU do ... Please please spare a thought for me!

linky here
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:12:16 AM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 09:14:46 AM »
Sorry for the hiatus on progress updates but Ive run out of the brick coloured stripey fabric again ... :(

I had a good 10 cms wof of it, and I cant for the life of me think its all gone on a lil bit of applique so I'm going to have a damn good rootle round to see if I can find it.

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 16:35:22 PM »
Phew caught this thread just before it disappeared over the edge of page 1!!!

I have been strangely silent on this project because he brick coloured fabric I was using for the red and white striped original had run out ... Well Im delighted to say that I ... ahem ... found some lovely red and white striped in ... ahem ... someones ... stash ... cough ... cough .... and I have started again ...

So now Ive forgotten how I was laying this out ....

So Im delighted to be able to continue with

Block 5.

Quantity: Two

More Mitred corners! Sigh! EH does seem particularly keen on these. Anyway with my newly ..ahem ... found  fabric  I carried on apace...

Fabrics: Red and white striped cotton and Oatmeal Silk Dupion.
Quantity - 2

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 16:42:37 PM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 16:39:27 PM »
Block 6.

Quantity: Three

Back to piecing a background and then some lovely relaxing applique.
I enjoyed these.

Fabrics used Craft cottons, Needlecord, Curtain lining, Shirt fabric.

linky to the album
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 16:43:09 PM by Iminei »

fajita

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 16:41:07 PM »
It's putting mine to shame. I'm glad I made mine when I knew no better, I'd be scared to begin it now, lol.

I used to keep my finished blocks in a concertina file. Ten to a section I think it was. Made keeping tabs on the pieces nice and straightforward.

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 16:43:57 PM »
@Iminei  surely relaxing and applique are contradictions...... it is the spawn of  :devil:
I just cannot do it by machine  :angry:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2019, 16:44:38 PM »
HOW can you SAY that @fajita, Your quilt was wonderous ... Post a pic here to give me some inspiration please!

Sorry @Lowena  but Im not going to be all encouraging here ... applique is easy, you could do it, IF ONLY YOU TRIED!

Lowena

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 16:48:42 PM »
Not true at all.... I have tried innumerable times and I cannot get the stitches in the right place  :angry: I can do it by hand, but that's clumsy on small pieces. No way can I master it by machine....you know that @Iminei  you have seen my efforts  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2019, 17:00:11 PM »
On the contrary ... I remember showing you how to applique, If I remember an L on a piecec of fabric, one of which was green  ...  :devil: ... but have never seen your attempt.

Go SLOWLY, learn the rhythm of the stitch ... in the case of my favourite, blanket stitch ... its two stitches along the side of the motif, one stitch down, then a swing to left (and a step to the riiiigghhht, its a pelvis thhrrruuuusttt and bring your knees in tiiiiighhhht!) Oops Sorry! a swing back to the right and then two stitches forward again. You soon learn where you can stop and turn the piece and when the needles going to swing over.

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2019, 15:46:36 PM »
Block 7

5" unfinished
Quantity - Four

Fabrics used:-
Blue Needlecord, Pink Silk Dupion and Gold Silk Dupion

Paisley Furnishing fabric, White on white craft cotton, Blue Silk dupion

Enjoyed making these, what do you think @Francesca, looking good?

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 16:59:52 PM »
And we continue ....

Block 8

5" unfinished
Quantity  4

Fabrics : Oakshott, Silk Dupion, shirting, Calico, Ribbon and Ticking

I have discovered that I really dont own any striped fabrics in my stash, so have had to start making fabric. I used a green voile and a green satin ribbon  on a calico background for the top right hand block.