The Sewing Place

The 2020 Coverlet project is on its way .....

Iminei

Re: The 2019 Coverlet project is on its way .....
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 17:04:38 PM »
Block 9

5" unfinished
Quantity 1

Fabrics : Oakshott, calico, ribbon, silk dupion. ticking, Needlecord, craft cotton

I went a bit off  piste with this block as I had no single lined blue striped fabric, so I took some ticking a did something a lil different, I quite like it and once more I created one of the fabrics with some gold edged ribbon.

Well it will be interesting if I continue in this way wont it?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 17:10:16 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2019, 17:09:17 PM »
and lastly (for today)

Block 10

5" unfinished
Quantity 2

Fabrics: Curtain lining, shirting, craft cotton, Silk dupion and curtain fabric

A pieced background with a mirror imaged appliqued motif on top.

I think Frans curtaining fabric is doing a wonderful job!

Iminei

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2019, 17:13:32 PM »
And a reminder of why I am putting myself through this .....

The blocks are laid out as in the original with the odd six being placed further down in the quilt.

Do you think it will look ok? There is no discernible colour scheme ???

linky

Acorn

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2019, 17:40:07 PM »
I think it's going to be incredible.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 08:50:54 AM »
I don't think it needs a 'colour scheme' so long as there isn't a hi viz orange or fluorescent pink shouting out in the middle of it.  I presume the maker of the original was jusr using what she had and you will make yours all the more unique by doing likewise (can something be more unique?)
It will be one of those things where you will see something different every time you look at it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 08:55:38 AM »
Thank yoou Girls; Ive just looked at the next blocks ... 9P's with Stripes AAAAGGGHHH!!!!

Back to the ribbon box ... and I must admit it already looks a lil more like the original than it should as after making the first striped fabric, the iron, as usual on superhot, caught it and melted a lil bit of the voile ribbon!

I thought, shall I make another one ?? and answered .. Myeh! I didnt have anymore of that green ribbon anyway.

Lowena

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »
Coming along nicely; rather you than me  :)
I like the "home made fabrics" they add a sort of authenticity to it.... you'll have to find somewhere to exhibit it when it's finished  :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:05:51 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2019, 10:23:56 AM »
God No! @Lowena  ... Its just an excercise to see if I can stray out of my comfort zone and keep to my self imposed guidelines for the duration ...

As one of those is to make this completely from stash, I have already fallen awry, that is until BrendaP came to my rescue with the Fast running out) shirting fabrics ...So if any of you girls (and boys) have any old fashioned striped/damask type fabrics that you are thinking of chucking ????

Lowena

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2019, 10:26:24 AM »
Didn't realise you were making from stash, although I suppose that's how the original would have been made. Looks awfully fiddly to me . What's ticking?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2019, 10:28:40 AM »
I'll have a look, I'm sure I have some cream striped.  Does fabric composition matter?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2019, 16:23:08 PM »
Just received an envelope full of some very interesting fabrics, that will no doubt pop up during the creation of these blocks ... one very interesting fabric in particular, would add a bit of subtle bling!

Thank you sooo much @b15erk  ... that was really thoughtful of you.

b15erk

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2019, 16:25:54 PM »
My pleasure Im, glad it got to you. 

Bin what you don't want - I won't be offended, it's one way of reducing the stash.  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 19:07:23 PM »
Block 11

5" unfinished
Quantity 5

Fabrics: Craft cotton, Japanese linen, Silk Dupion, Oakshott cottons, Made fabric (calico, ribbon)

I had to make fabrics for these ... some of the squares looked like they had diagonal strips so I made HSTs from beautiful deep Oakshott blues and greens and then there was the wide green stripe ... Out came the ribbon box!

I also struggled with the bottom left block as the design for the Blue/Green blocks was, to my mind, wrong ...
It could have been a lovely star type block but I stuck to my rules and its true to the original layout ... Woo Hoo!

linky

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 17:28:28 PM by Iminei »

maliw

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2019, 19:48:32 PM »
I think you're doing amazingly well, I looked at doing this for the challenge but decided it wasn't for me so I take my hat off to you.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 17:30:36 PM »
Block 12

5" unfinished
Quantity 2

Fabrics used Curtain Lining, Shirting, Craft fabric, Tea dyed striped craft fabric, Oakshott