The Sewing Place

Over tight stranded colour work

Ellabella

Over tight stranded colour work
« on: January 15, 2019, 22:37:39 PM »
I am attempting my first go at stranded colour work.
I am doing a sweater out of Knit Now 96, I cant link to the pattern.  It has bands of colour work separated by bands of textured pattern in the main colour.

The first colorwork band is much tighter than the textured areas

Is there anything I could do to even things out, other than pulling it back and reknitting the colour work with a larger needle?

BrendaP

Re: Over tight stranded colour work
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 22:55:52 PM »
I don't think there's much you can do about the part you have already knitted,  :(  but a bigger needle for the stranded sections is the way to go.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

jesster

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 14:05:35 PM »
Seconding BrendaP.  You may also want to check the gauge of the various different sections to see which is closest to the pattern recommendation before changing needle sizes.  It's very easy to get too tight with fair isle or too loose with mixed knit and purl stitch patterns - or both!  That will be a lovely sweater  :)

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 15:31:23 PM »
I bit the bullet this morning and pulled out the colourwork.

I've ordered the next two sizes of needle tips and will carry on from there.

I realised that loose and tighter sections would increase my similarity to the Michelin Man, not a good look to go for :S

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 07:39:10 AM »
Loving your work @Ellabella. That's going to be gorgeous.

My great aunt Annie was a prolific knitter. She lived with her two spinster sisters and knit everything for them all including suits (and vests)!  :o With the result she had leftovers and occasionally she would knit a "house cardigan" from these. I have one! It contains every shape, size, colour and type of wool/yarn and does indeed go in and out like the Michelin Man.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!