The Sewing Place

sewingj

« on: April 04, 2017, 19:15:43 PM »

« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 18:58:52 PM by sewingj »

SewRose

Re: Bag - stabilizer or fleece - help!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 20:11:30 PM »
I make lots of bags and yes many are better with some kind of batting.
It looks the kind of bag I would definitely use more than just interfacing.
I frequently use bosal - a fusible foam stabiliser, but the last bag I made I used a sew in foam batting. It was great, unlike fusible didn't crease at all and has even machine washed perfectly since. I am now converted to always using it as it gives the bag perfect structure, doesn't crease and is easy to sew.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 21:24:38 PM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 18:58:00 PM by sewingj »

Snowgoose

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 21:52:10 PM »
What a pretty pattern!

I haven't used it myself yet, but 'Annie's Soft and Stable' is frequently  recommended and can be found on Amazon or here http://byannieeurope.mycomandia.com.  I'm hoping to try it for the next time I try to make a bag - I have a Simplicity pattern for a bike bag :flower:

Holly Berry

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 22:08:53 PM »
I read sometime ago on a blog of a comparison between Bosal, soft and stable and headliner scrim. Headliner scrim is used in the car industry for lining the roofs of cars and vans.The conclusion she came to that the headliner gave comparable results, but was much cheaper.

On this result I bought some on EBay at £3.99 per metre, as compared to about £8 for the Bosal and S&S. The bag was soft, whilst holding it's shape on it's own.

http://handmadebymrsh.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/foam-stabilisers-comparison.html
Procrastination get behind me

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 18:57:29 PM by sewingj »

Snowgoose

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 13:45:24 PM »
Thank you from me, too!  I have never heard of headliner but it is so much more affordable  :D

I loathe all fusibles, no matter how careful I am they always look creased and unstuck at the end  :'(

I have bookmarked the blog, thank you  :flower:

SewRose

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 20:25:37 PM »
Sorry I can't remember what it was called. It came from a sewing shop, it's a vilene one. They cut it from a big roll so I haven't got the name.

SewRose

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 20:35:15 PM »
Okay I did a search and found it . It is called style-vil and is made by vilene .
It is available here among other places.
 https://www.u-handbag.com/products/vilene-style-vil-smooth-sew-in-foam-batting

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 20:56:43 PM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 18:56:56 PM by sewingj »

Holly Berry

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 22:25:50 PM »
When I used the headliner scrim I didn't interface as well. I just made sure it was caught in the seams and I did a cross stitch in the ditch to keep it attached in the middle.

This is the bag I made
Procrastination get behind me

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 23:48:13 PM »
I read sometime ago on a blog of a comparison between Bosal, soft and stable and headliner scrim. Headliner scrim is used in the car industry for lining the roofs of cars and vans.The conclusion she came to that the headliner gave comparable results, but was much cheaper.

On this result I bought some on EBay at £3.99 per metre, as compared to about £8 for the Bosal and S&S. The bag was soft, whilst holding it's shape on it's own.

http://handmadebymrsh.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/foam-stabilisers-comparison.html

Wish I'd know about the headline scrim before I bought yards of the Bosal for luggage I made last year - would have saved myself a lot!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Snowgoose

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »
Oh that is pretty - I really will have to peep in at the dark side and try some simple patchwork when I feel brave enough  :D

Just one question please, can you run a bag made with headliner through a cool machine wash?  Thank you  :flower: