The Sewing Place

Stash organisation

Rosieh

Stash organisation
« on: January 16, 2019, 09:20:01 AM »
My husband threw a wobbly over Christmas and said I have 'too much fabric' how can that even be a thing? he doesn't get why I sometimes buy more fabric rather than use something from the stash.  Anyway, I had all my fabrics stored in 4 large plastic crates which did take up a fair bit of room to be fair. I have some shelves which I could use for storage so I bought some cardboard A4 sheets from Ebay. they are designed as backing boards for storing comics so are quite strong. I spent hours folding and winding fabric round the boards. Each piece of fabric then has some substance to it and stacks easily without sliding or unravelling.  I guess it is a bit like the bolts that fabric is displayed on in shops. it has saved a fair bit of room and ohhhhh, I now have some room for some more fabric............

Acorn

Re: Stash organisation
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 10:29:30 AM »
Well done!  I bet you can see it much better now too - I love to sit and look at the fabric on my shelves.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:55:42 AM »
I'm with your husband on this @Rosieh  I don't have a stash and buy ( the right amount )  for each new project. But, what you describe sounds a good way to access what you have.
How can you ogle fabric @Acorn  :D ?? Actually, stored on shelves, wouldn't it need regular dusting?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 11:47:31 AM »
@Lowena - the shelves are actually pigeonhole-type things, so not really open to dust.  It gets taken out and patted quite a lot anyway...  :|  Some of it even gets used and replaced.  The long-term stuff (ie stuff I probably out to sort out and get rid of) is in a cupboard with a door.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 12:28:51 PM »
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that any woman possessed of her own credit card is in want of more fabric.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:32:51 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »
I’d consider reorganising the husband..not the stash.

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 19:54:17 PM »
I’d consider reorganising the husband..not the stash.

Most definitely

sewing in oz

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 03:52:58 AM »
I keep all fabric (and thread for that matter) in light-proof dust-proof storage crates and drawers.  I lost a lovely piece of denim fabric to light strike several years ago, and learned my lesson.

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 13:43:47 PM »
I'm with your husband on this @Rosieh  I don't have a stash and buy ( the right amount )  for each new project.

I was the same @Lowena, simply because I had a good fabric store within easy reach.  I bought the right fabric and thread at the same time.  Moving on and in retirement the shop shut and finding another with a good range was hard, plus you try taking a man into a fabric shop, done once, he couldn't get out fast enough.  So it's generally good online shops and if I see I buy although I know exactly what I am going to make when I buy in advance.  Only problem I have is the production line is not very quick. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included