The Sewing Place

TSP's 2019 Project Linus Project

Iminei

TSP's 2019 Project Linus Project
« on: January 17, 2019, 11:20:40 AM »
After last years very successful and productive Project Linus Challenge, and following a consensus of opinion within the members who took part and those who followed along, I am hoping we will  choose to reprise our challenge and donation to Project Linus again this year.

Project Linus were handing out flyers at FOQ last year suggesting a theme to work to (they must have heard of our challenge) but I thought we might 'tweak' that just a lil TSP bit.  ;)

linky

My first thought would be to set a criteria of using Monochrome fabrics + the Primary a FEATURE colour, be that Red, Blue, Yellow (or Green @Lowena !!   :devil::P gr**n is NOT a Primary colour  :ninja:

Or we could specify quilts of a single block type ie, Star Blocks, Log Cabins, HST's ( @rubywishes :devil: )

but please offer do any suggestions you might think will make a great quilt/competition.... I need all the help you can give me here.

It would be nice, for those who can, to get together again on the Thursday of FOQ to hand over the quilts personally as we did last year. An added benefit of this is we also get to meet, greet and take great pics of ourselves and the quilts; if you need a reminder of the beautiful quilts produced last year click here

As last year, anyone who cant get to the show can send their quilts to me in the weeks beforehand and I will take them up for you.

Last years challenge was such a success, not only within the TSP community but also for the children who received some fantastic quilts, so why not do it again ?????!

For further details of Project Linus click here
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 18:43:48 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

Re: TSP's 2019 Project Linus Project ????
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 12:18:47 PM »
I'm definitely in this year as I now know the standard I have to ( hopefully ) reach  :ninja: I qualify this by saying that I cannot do not, do applique blocks or FPP  :x
Monochrome plus a bright colour would pickle my walnuts nicely........ as if I need to add anything else to my diary  :S
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 12:21:20 PM »
I think my walnuts could also be pickled by monochrome + bright.
I would be up for it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 14:30:49 PM »
Wikipedia Defintion:-

Monochrome means one color.
Typically one color is presented in different values and intensities — or different shades of the single color.

Of course when I said monochrome, I thought Black and White, Greys perhaps Ivories/creams .... with the feature colour bringing the POP !

I think of Lucias Quilt, aka as The Whale as being Monochrome with Red ... but then I am most probably wrong!

But of course if you want to go with the definitive definition you could make a quilt in all shades of Red say, from Lightest Pink to Darkest Vermillion and then add the feature colour ... Interesting thoughts ????

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 15:23:32 PM »
I assumed ( and I know one should never assume...."it makes an ass out of u and me ) that you meant, black, white, grey, cream and a bright colour to offset them, but I don't mind which definition we go for @Iminei

That is exactly what I meant, but I was asked about the definition of monochrome, so just wanted to make it clear!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 15:43:27 PM by Iminei »

Pearl

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 17:23:45 PM »
I also vote for monochrome plus a bright.   :)

I have been heard saying I'm not going to the FoQ this year, but I also said I wasn't going to start anything new until I'd finished three outstanding projects, four hours before I started the Temperature quilt sewalong, and that I'm not interested in long term supply assignments (I've been there since June), so I'll see you there.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 18:04:46 PM »
Monochrome means one colour

If you mean black, grey and white plus a primary then it's achromatic plus the primary.   Then the whole thing is monochrome. >:)

Imi's quilt, in it's entirity, is monochrome
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 18:06:59 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 18:12:07 PM »
gr**n is NOT a Primary colour  :ninja:

It's not a pigment primary but it is a light primary!

With coloured lights (white light passed through a filter) the primaries are red, blue and green. 
With pigments (paints, dyes, printer ink etc) the primaries are cyan, magenta and yellow.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 19:00:43 PM »
Aha @BrendaP  but we're not talking about "telly colours" are we  :P
I love grey with accents of really bright pinks, turquoises, yellows and oranges ....... if I ever finish all my projects that's a quilt i will definitely make for myself  <3

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 00:26:57 AM »
I'll probably be in if I can use the interpretation of monochrome as one colour plus a primary. :) I think I'd lose the will to live if I had to sew so much black/white/grey. Don't get me wrong - I love your pictured quilt @Iminei - I just couldn't sew it.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 09:24:56 AM »
I love grey with accents of really bright pinks, turquoises, yellows and oranges ....... if I ever finish all my projects that's a quilt i will definitely make for myself 

So why dont you make a small cot quilt (for PL) as a prototype @Lowena  ???

Interpret as you will ....the more the merrier @Kenora

Thank you @BrendaP , I can always rely The Goddess of Colour to come to my rescue

So shall we do it ???

Shall the theme be  Monchromatic or Achromatic + One Colour ??

That way it could be Red, Blue or Yellow as specified by PL or Fushia, Lime or Turquoise ... Completely ignoring PL's suggestion!!!  :devil:

What do we think ???
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:27:51 AM by Iminei »

Pearl

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 16:50:06 PM »
Yes!  I even know what I'm going to do.  Most unlike me.  Can I start now?   :fabric: :fabric: :snip: :snip: :sew:  (insert quilt emoji)

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 18:27:03 PM »
I think we are looking at neutrals/black-white-grey plus any one colour of choice, primary or secondary.  Just forget about tertiary muddy colours

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 18:43:15 PM »
I think this is a GO ... Well done all of you, I cant think of a better project!

PollyWally

Re: TSP's 2019 Project Linus Project
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 00:29:10 AM »
As a non participant and non quilter please feel free to ignore this but when the Project Linus flyer mentions  "children love to have bright colours in their quilts" I feel that having a lot of neutral and grey tones in the quilts could be a bit dull.