The Sewing Place

A lovely day on a lovely project.

Iminei

A lovely day on a lovely project.
« on: August 05, 2019, 16:56:02 PM »
Last year I worked FOQ with Gourmet Quilter ... we get along well and I love her stuff, and its a good way to see the show whilst keeping some money in your bank as you are so busy working you dont get to go shopping!!
Susan was showcasing her new design, the Metro Tiles Quilt

and had several kits of the quilt with her to sell at the show.

They were expensive at £230 but glorious.
All the components for each block were prefused and  lasercut from Hoffmann batiks. backgrounds and setting triangles for each block in coordinating Hoffmann batiks were included all exactly cut with full destructions for making each block and assembling the quilt.

The packs Susan had brought over from New Zealand were sold on day 1 of the show and we had to hang onto the last kit to showcase the quilt and take orders.
Susan and I had agreed I would take delivery of the kits and send them out from the UK to give people a better postage rate than shipping from the USA or New Zealand, where Susan lives.

A month after the show I had a big parcel arrive from the states full of kits

and began to ship them out to the peeps who had pre-ordered at FOQ. I had two kits leftover in case Susan took some orders via her website for delivery to the UK or Europe.

Over the next year I offered the kits for sale but had no takers, then on the eve of FOQ 2019 I had a pm on facebook from a girl asking me about the kit.
After several questions she said she wanted one and bought it! YAY!

That same evening a friend of mine called and asked if I could lay my hands on one of the kits, she wanted to make the quilt as a gift for her daughters wedding next September ... I have one right in front of me, I said, Do you want it ?...

She was 95% sure she did, so instead of arriving at Festival laden with Project Linus Quilts and Metro Tiles quilts I strolled up to Susan, gave her a cheque for the kit I had sold and an assurance I was sure my friend would want the last one ....

Long story right?

Well today I spent the day with my friend. We looked at the kit and I assured her she would definitely be able to make it. She was convinced, gave me some money and then we played!!! :D

I say we, but she wanted me to show her how easy it was to make the blocks, from making registration lines on the backgrounds to placing, fusing and lastly stitching the components down. By the end of a couple of hours and much giggling and chatting I had made two tiles and shown her how easy it was to join them together.

The kit has pre-fused laser-cut sashing strips to cover the front seams but as these two tiles didnt belong together ... my friend wants to follow the order of the tiles exactly, I sewed the two together with large stitches so she could easily unpick the two blocks and didnt fuse the sashing over the seam.

Sadly shes now all enthused and has taken the beautiful kit away with her but I made sure I took some photos to remind me .....

linky
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 17:01:47 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

Re: A lovely day on a lovely project.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 17:04:44 PM »
Wow I’m no quilter and I don’t really like patchwork but I really like that.  The colours are so subtle.

maliw

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 17:09:20 PM »
What a lovely way to spend a day and great results. The finished quilt is gorgeous even if it is expensive.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 17:17:26 PM »
Good to hear you've had an enjoyable day. It's a lovely kit.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 17:19:04 PM »
I costed the wedding quilt ... no batiks in that just regular craft cotton and the materials cost £200.10p !!!   :o  :S           
so really for a quiltfull of beautiful Hoffman batiks, all background squares and setting triangles all precisely cut and prefused, just iron on and stitch  ... Its actually not that much ... if you have the money (which I sadly didnt)???

But it was a fab day and a very, very beautiful yet deceptively easy quilt to make.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 17:20:15 PM »
I think I'm in love...  :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 18:25:24 PM »
Being quite new to P&Q I think those kits are wonderful. I really like the pale background, it shows off the patterns beautifully.  I didn't know you could get precut and prefused kits  :)  The cost is a lot for me but would love to make one  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)