The Sewing Place

TSP's 2019 Project Linus Project

Lowena

Re: TSP's 2019 Project Linus Project
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 00:49:57 AM »
I  wondered that @PollyWally  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Renegade Sewist

Re: TSP's 2019 Project Linus Project ????
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 03:38:56 AM »
I think we are looking at neutrals/black-white-grey plus any one colour of choice, primary or secondary.  Just forget about tertiary muddy colours

Spoken like a person after my own heart.  :loveit: We moved from Big City school Los Angeles to Podunk farm town Middle California midway through Kindergarten, so I would have been 5. I came home the first or second day and announced that I was not going back. When Mom asked why I explained that they hadn't even learned Red-Blue-Yellow let alone ANY Secondary or Tertiary colors. I was apparently appalled. I just assumed that all children knew at least through their Tertiary Colors and Split-compliments before they were 6.

And yes, my childhood water color set had 56 colors and was made in England. Every color had it's name printed below the cake.  0_0 :loveit: :cake:

Back OT: I'll just cheer you on and ooh and aah at the results. I'd do one for the local PL group but they won't even accept anything from a household that has dogs or cats. They just trash them.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lowena

Re: TSP's 2019 Project Linus Project ????
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 10:04:32 AM »

Back OT: I'll just cheer you on and ooh and aah at the results. I'd do one for the local PL group but they won't even accept anything from a household that has dogs or cats. They just trash them.

Really?!  :o They've never asked me, nor anyone else as far as I know  -<

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 10:05:14 AM »
I'd do one for the local PL group but they won't even accept anything from a household that has dogs or cats. They just trash them.

:o  Im shocked!!!

Wash and lie ??!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 10:10:47 AM »
As a non participant and non quilter please feel free to ignore this but when the Project Linus flyer mentions  "children love to have bright colours in their quilts" I feel that having a lot of neutral and grey tones in the quilts could be a bit dull.

But a quilt made of all (especially Primary) Colours can make one over exciteable as there is no where to rest the eye, if you know what I mean.

And can you tell me if this gorgeous creation is dull as it is certainly over 50% neutral colours

linky in case of the curse of the invisibubble pic

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 10:40:52 AM »
the Project Linus flyer mentions  "children love to have bright colours in their quilts" I feel that having a lot of neutral and grey tones in the quilts could be a bit dull.

I think it's the tertiaries that children find dull; browns, beige, olive, mud and other generally sh***ty colours.  Black and white with a good splash of a bright primary/secondary is much more appealing.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

StitchinTime

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 11:11:08 AM »
I agree that a quilt made with all three colours could be rather busy (the flyer says “and”, not “or” in the colour list)and the size mentioned (36-42”) suggests to me that these quilts are for younger children. I think novelty prints might be appropriate in such quilts and could be popular with the children.

Would the following work as a “TSP tweak” and still keep in the spirit of the Project Linus flyer?
[Red, Blue and/or Yellow] plus [Achromatic/Neutral and/or Novelty]

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 11:48:40 AM »
It actually says 36" square to 42" square..... are we restricting ourselves to a specific size? I think it was 36" square last year...

BrendaP

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 13:53:12 PM »
Baby Quilts: approx 24”-30” square or 24” x 30”
Children’s Quilts: approx 36” – 42” square or 36” x 42”
Teenagers Quilts: approx 42” square or 42” x 48”

To me that means anything from 24" x 24" up to 42" x 48"
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Sheilago

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 22:43:54 PM »
I’m a little late to this discussion ( been busy decorating

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2019, 00:17:04 AM »
Remember, I'm in California. We are collectively nothing if not political correct and all accommodating. It is a bit tedious at times.

Your UK PL says able to machine wash and dry, with no dodads the kids can get injured by or tear off and choke on. It has a listing of generally suitable sizes with the comment that any will be happily accepted. Usually not over 48" in either direction.

In the US we get fussier. We do like to sue over minor things so we get more complicated. This is what is acceptable:

WHAT TYPE OF BLANKETS DOES PROJECT LINUS ACCEPT?
Our chapter coordinators accept NEW, HANDMADE, WASHABLE, blankets and afghans for giving to children ages 0-18 years. Project Linus blankets are not donated to adults. As a national policy we accept all sizes and styles, although some chapters may have more narrow requirements based on the needs of the facilities to which they donate. Project Linus has a non-smoking policy for chapter coordinators. Coordinators must be non-smokers and live and store blankets in a smoke free environment. Project Linus blankets must be of excellent quality and free from contaminants. Special care should be taken to ensure that blankets are free of smoky smells or any chemicals which could cause problems for a child. Ensure that blankets are free of pet or animal hair. Hospitals will not accept these blankets, and they will most likely be discarded. Recent studies show that laundering these blankets does not remove contamination, and in some cases can even make it worse. Always check blankets carefully for pins, and remove any embellishments such as buttons that could be swallowed.

And the list of what isn't acceptable:

WHAT TYPE OF BLANKETS DOES PROJECT LINUS NOT ACCEPT?
Project Linus chapter coordinators are instructed to reject blankets that are not of excellent quality. In addition they must be free from contaminants. Special care should be taken to insure all blankets are free of smoky smells or any chemicals which could cause problems for a child. Hospitals will not accept these blankets, and they will most likely be discarded. Recent studies show laundering such blankets does not remove contamination, and in some cases can even make it worse. Again, if unusually strong smells due to chemicals used in detergents, fabric softeners and dryer sheets, mold and mildew or smoking products are apparent, most hospitals will discard the blanket rather than jeopardize the health of a patient. Always check blankets carefully for pins, and remove any embellishments such as buttons that could be swallowed. Thank you for helping to make sure that Project Linus blankets are safe and healthy, and will bring only comfort and security to a child in need!

Typical size here is 40"-48" x 60", nothing smaller than 36" square.

Locally the Coordinator is a bit of a Needle N**i. Makes the Sewing Police types seem downright charming. If you have house pets she has said emphatically not to bother making a quilt as she will throw out anything with a stray hair on it. And yes, she does closely inspect all of them under an OTT light.  :S

So, I'll make a quilt for an Oldie instead. We have a local group that sews up Senior Quilts, for local home bound Oldies. They need a hug too.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 09:33:01 AM »
@Sheilago, the child friendly interesting patterns / pictorials could be the coloured sections with black and white patterned fabrics in between maybe ???

But its your take on some very loose guidelines so ....

Sheilago

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 18:30:13 PM »
Yes, thanks @Iminei . I’ve got a few ideas pinned and realised I could get quite a few things into the coloured blocks.  :D

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 09:29:55 AM »
As February looms, Can I have a roll call of peeps that are interested in joining in with this challenge.

The Sewing Place's 2019 Project Linus Quilt Challenge

Project Linus have an excellent website
which tells you everything you need to know but basically we are looking to
make and donate quilts in one of these three sizes ....

Lap quilt – 36″ square
Cot quilt – 47″ x 55″
Single bed quilt – 55″ x 79″

Project Linus have suggested that participants use only Red, Yellow and Blue in their quilts this year,
but I think this might be a lil OTT all together ... but you may choose to prove me wrong !!!  :devil:

To give a sense of uniformity for The Sewing Place's Quilts, I suggest

we each make a quilt in one of these colours,

Red, Blue or Yellow

in as few or as many shades as you wish ...

plus a neutral colour of Black, White, Ivory, Grey, Beige etc.

You choose the size, colours,  pattern, design and technique used.

The color for the binding is your choice too;
It could be your chosen neutral background, your chosen colour or Black,
which would frame and emphasise your lovely bold colour choice.

Please submit at least 3 posts within this thread relating to your progress ...
you can reveal as much or as lil as you wish!

The Gals at Project Linus will remove any labels to ensure complete anonymity,
so lets save them the trouble ... No labels please! :(

Send Pics of your finished quilt to me at  iminei@thesewingplace.org.uk before the 25th of July

and we will have an anonymous vote for the Best Quilt with the winner receiving an exclusive The Sewing Place Prize Winners badge.

The Festival of Quilts is on early this year, running from the 1st August until the 4th August,
please make a note of this change in your diary.

I'm hoping we can meet around midday at the Festival Of Quilts on the Thursday
and take them en masse to the Project Linus stand in the early afternoon as we did last year.

If you cant get to FOQ this year, don't worry if you can get your quilt to me before Thursday 25th July I will be more than happy to take it up!

This gives you almost SIX months to make your quilt.

That's it (I think) So Sign up here ......

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:29:27 AM by Iminei »

BrendaP

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 10:42:43 AM »
Yes, count me in.  I'll do something in black, white and one bright primary.