The Sewing Place

Shirts....

Efemera

Shirts....
« on: January 20, 2019, 15:10:12 PM »
I’ve decided they’re just not for me.... unless they’re oversized and white.
I’ve been looking to make woven tops to wear under cardigans. I wear just below the waist neat type cardies not big sloppy ones.... but I need the tops to be hip length. I’m having a real hard time deciding what I need to wear!
What’s the difference between a shirt and a blouse?...maybe I need a shirt in a blouse fabric?
Think I need a makeover :S

Ploshkin

Re: Shirts....
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 15:47:19 PM »
I like shirts but not under anything.  I make long sleeved jersey tops to wear under other things.
Life's too short for ironing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 15:59:06 PM »
I know what you mean @Efemera, I love 'em on other people but I seem to be unable to carry them off. Can't help you with the blouse/shirt mystery.
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 16:59:05 PM »
Difference between a shirt and a blouse @Efemera ? Girls wear blouses or shirts but boys only wear shirts unless they are big girls' blouses.  0_0 0_0

I think I would expect a shirt to have a collar a bit like a bloke's shirt but really there's no hard and fast rule. I don't think I would call something a shirt unless it had a collar but a blouse may or may not have a collar. I quite like a shirt but of a Tiltonesque cut. I do like a collar as my neck often gets cold.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 17:00:36 PM »
I think it’s a fabric thing...I just can’t wear structured fabrics, I feel like they’re wearing me. I’ll try the shirt thing again with a softer fabric. Maybe I need a looser fitted shirt.i have a few Tilton shirt patterns but they won’t go under a Cardi....maybe I need things to go under shirts...as I said I need a makeover, I’m stuck in a rut.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 17:02:35 PM by Efemera »

weary

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 20:04:18 PM »
Difference between a shirt and a blouse?
What about, as a suggestion, -> A shirt has a yoke and a blouse doesn't. (??)

Regards,
Phil

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 21:42:10 PM »
Difference between a shirt and a blouse @Efemera ? Girls wear blouses or shirts but boys only wear shirts unless they are big girls' blouses.  0_0 0_0

That's about it! 

A woman's shirt is more or less based on a man's shirt: front placket with buttons, straight collar, and either full length sleeves with cuffs or above the elbow without and usually with a back yoke.  Anything else is a blouse.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewcycle

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 20:19:11 PM »
I’ve been reading through DoctorTdesigns blog on Kibbe, a system of working out your body type and what suits you. Her version is ‘sew your Kibbe’ and gives pattern suggestions for the different body types. I though it was good and explains why a structured style blouse might not suit your body shape. Might be worth a look if you’re interested.
'Is there a life before breakfast'

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 21:22:29 PM »
Just skimmed  over a few articles...I’m a soft classic. It’s interesting reading.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 07:15:39 AM »
That's brilliant @Sewcycle. I remember years ago 'What not to wear' did a piece on that and it explained perfectly why, when my friend and I swapped clothes, we looked like orphans!  0_0 She's "Romantic" and I think I was "Classic Dramatic".
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewcycle

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 16:27:24 PM »
@Efemera I think I worked out to be a Soft Classic too, although I like to incorporate other aspects especially the Dramatic and the Natural, but my body type doesn't favour these other looks as well as the Soft Classic. It explains why I've been unsuccessful when going for a more offbeat look which if I'm not careful can swamp me. @wrenkins, so glad you liked it. I thought Doctor T had worked so hard pulling all these patterns together, and the posts were very informative.
'Is there a life before breakfast'