The Sewing Place

Large scale printing

DementedFairy

Large scale printing
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:10:40 PM »
HELP! :angry: :angry: :angry:
I've been waiting months to get a PDF pattern sent to me, for a bit of voluntary pattern testing...

It's arrived, it's on two PDF sheets [not tiled] measuring 50" x 33.1" and 50.2" x 33.1"

From what I can see, that's slightly longer than AO, and there's the problem.  Although I hear that it should be easy to get a local printer to use a plotter roll to print them, I have contacted FIVE today, all over the UK, and all say they don't do it.  I'm getting really cheesed off- any suggestions before I abandon the project?
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

Re: Large scale printing
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 14:29:16 PM »
Here is a chart of paper sizes.  A0 is not particular large - it's only 16 sheets of A4 paper - however, it may be outside the range of local printshops.  I suspect if you find a company that will even entertain you, the cost will be prohibitive.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 21:09:46 PM »
Did you try http://www.kallkwik.co.uk/birmingham/plan-printing-plan-copying/ as they say up to A0 and larger?

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 21:24:32 PM »
Thanks Fajita- that name hadn't come up on my search- I've asked them if they can do it for me!
I'll let you know how it goes
C'est moi!

Daisy Jane

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 21:54:44 PM »
I'm not very technically minded but I get tutu patterns by email in PDF format.  I am able to print them out using Adobe and have to set the print option to poster. This them prints out the pattern on numerous pages which I cut and stick together.  I'm not sure if this helps .....I may be completely on the wrong track....which isn't hard for me. ..lol
Lover of tutus and all things sparkly. ......and the odd glass of the red stuff.

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 21:59:09 PM »
Oh I've done bazillions that way- I was after getting a pattern printed in one piece on very large paper.  I eventually found a company that did it for me for under a fiver, which isn't bad at all- and I haven't used up all my printer ink and sellotape!
C'est moi!

Daisy Jane

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 22:31:08 PM »
Ah ha that sounds a much better way than  cutting and sticking for ever and a day. I always seem to run out of paper at the wrong moment as well. Glad to hear you found someone to print for you :D
Lover of tutus and all things sparkly. ......and the odd glass of the red stuff.

Kittensposies

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 09:23:41 AM »
Oh I've done bazillions that way- I was after getting a pattern printed in one piece on very large paper.  I eventually found a company that did it for me for under a fiver, which isn't bad at all- and I haven't used up all my printer ink and sellotape!

Ooh DF where did you manage to get it printed? Do they post? I hate sticking patterns with a fiery passion but the print shops near us are mostly student print shops and don't do A0  ><

Francesca

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 09:44:26 AM »
My local place does a sheet of A0 for £2.94. Can't order online, but if anyone would like I can get their bits printed and posted (or you can come collect London or Woking!) Postage is tricky now that RM no longer accepts tubes as medium, so folded would be a medium parcel but if you want them in a tube it'd be £9.75 for 48hr postage.

More than happy to be everyone's PDF-mule!

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 09:50:10 AM »
Servicepoint UK [I'd never heard of them before, but they're all over the place, and were very quick and efficient.]

I emailed them my files, and they were ready for collection within an hour [larger than A0 done on a roll, which they DON'T post, but I assume all stuff that can be easily folded is fine.

2 large sheets came in at under a fiver.

http://www.servicepointuk.com/company/locations/
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 09:57:17 AM »
Servicepoint UK [I'd never heard of them before, but they're all over the place, and were very quick and efficient.]

I emailed them my files, and they were ready for collection within an hour [larger than A0 done on a roll, which they DON'T post, but I assume all stuff that can be easily folded is fine.

2 large sheets came in at under a fiver.

http://www.servicepointuk.com/company/locations/

Yep they are the people I use! But I have 30% off as a student discount  0_0

Kittensposies

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 10:03:54 AM »
Ahh thank you both!! So helpful!!! How odd that RM don't accept tubes...

I've sent hubby into work today to investigate options... he works at a uni so may have access to the uni print shop, which I'm sure must do A0...

Otherwise Fran I will def be taking you up on your offer of print mule!! I'm sooooooooo done with sticking  0_0

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 10:15:55 AM »
Ahh thank you both!! So helpful!!! How odd that RM don't accept tubes...

I've sent hubby into work today to investigate options... he works at a uni so may have access to the uni print shop, which I'm sure must do A0...

Otherwise Fran I will def be taking you up on your offer of print mule!! I'm sooooooooo done with sticking  0_0

They do accept smaller tubes, just not A0 sized ones. Their max length is 104cm and A0 is about 120cm. I am wrong! Duh! You'd roll up the longer length and therefore only need the smaller width which does indeed fit in a standard tube! So that bring the postage down to around £3-4 I think ;D

Universities often do great deals, I used to run a campus society and we got all our printing done on-site and it was so cheap. I continued to use it for projects after I left until I moved away.

But yes indeed, if you want I am happy to send. You can get quite a few sheets in a large poster tube so you can stock up and then the tenner for postage doesn't seem so bad!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:18:50 AM by Francesca »