The Sewing Place

The Golden Tapestry

KayK

The Golden Tapestry
« on: January 20, 2019, 18:04:20 PM »
I've treated myself to a 'retirement' present of an ex-demo Brother V5.........I have to say I'm not over keen on it as a sewing machine, (My old Bernina sews better) but as an embroidery machine its great!  I purchased a copy of the Anita Goodesign Golden Tapestry as a bit of a project, and wow, its brilliant.  I have had a few mutterings over the odd metallic thread breakage, but to be honest it hasn't done it as much as I thought it would - I have been using metallic needles and changing them after about three hours use!  Ive stitched together 8 of the panels, sewn out another 14 and got another 8 to embroider!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Acorn

Re: The Golden Tapestry
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 18:24:23 PM »
Wow, that is beautiful!! 

I've just googled it and found that they don't make it in the right format for my machine.   :(  I would love to do something like that.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 18:25:18 PM »
Stunning!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 18:45:18 PM »
That's lovely - I see you on the same facebook group as me  0_0

Morgan

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 21:56:47 PM »
For the future - of all the metallic threads I have tried and tested, the best Metallic threads I have found are -

Kingstar Metallics available as 1000m small cones and as 3000m cones as well in golds, copper & silver

I usually use a topstitch needle for metallics (metallic needles are pretty much the same design as top stitch needles) but with Kingstar metallics I've stitched out designs with ordinary needles without any issues.

I wonder if the number of needle changes you went through could have been something to do with the stabiliser/fabric combination and/or the needle size.  It's unusual to go through that many changes on one project.

Nice to hear that you enjoyed it.

KayK

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 17:49:37 PM »
Ah! the needle changes were down to me entirely!  I wanted to make sure the silk dupion didnt snag under any cirumstances, so thought I would do a needle change regularly to prevent this! Funnily enough, I am using the Kingstar metallic  thread, and you are right Morgan, it is brilliant - in fact I have ordered some more colours for other projects!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 19:17:39 PM »
 OMG!

Nuttywife59

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 23:45:43 PM »
This is one of their designs I would love to make. It looks beautiful when it's all finished.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 06:38:06 AM »
Saw your picture as a wallhanging you were trying out. I was wondering what that device was, that held the little framed designs on the left. Like one of those museum displays perhaps? Then it dawned on me that the picture was sideways on. Doh!
I would love to do that design too, but definitely nowhere to put it. 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 09:23:42 AM »
Saw your picture as a wallhanging you were trying out. I was wondering what that device was, that held the little framed designs on the left. Like one of those museum displays perhaps? Then it dawned on me that the picture was sideways on. Doh!

Not just you.
I was so busy looking at the design that I made the same assumption.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

KayK

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 16:34:15 PM »
I dont know why the picture ended up sideways!!

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 10:08:39 AM »
I have googled images of  this and am well impressed not only by the courage of all those peeps to undertake a heavily embroidered panel in mainly metallic threads but also by the ingenuity of this one girl who clearly thinks outside the box ....

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

KayK

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 17:46:27 PM »
Iminei - that is exactly how I did my first practice tiles!  I had oceans of gold duchesse satin spare, so used the blue thread as well - I have to say I did quite like it, but as I rather like a bit of twinkle I stuck to the gold metallic thread!  I have now finished all the panels, and just need to sew most of them together now.  I have decided not to go with the border, as it will make it too big for its new hanging place - I am going to have it framed instead!