The Sewing Place

Right shape for large bust plus size dress

annieeg

Right shape for large bust plus size dress
« on: January 21, 2019, 22:07:45 PM »
I really like this pattern: 

https://www.minervacrafts.com/pow

(Minerva pattern of the week Vogue Ladies Easy Sewing Pattern 9198 Gathered Dresses with Front Yoke)

However,  am I right in thinking that a large bust looks even bigger with a yoke finishing at underarm rather than lower - ie., under the bust?

Frank opinions welcomed please ..
Annieeg

Morgan

Re: Right shape for large bust plus size dress
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 22:23:16 PM »
It's not so much the high yoke line that would be the issue but the gathering and lack of shaping below the yoke.

The photo in this link is a night dress but it shows on a real body the effect of the gathering onto the high yoke line.

Also take a look at Vogue 9198 made up and photographed on real bodies on a couple of PR Reviews
The look of the version in red can give you a fairly good idea of what it may look like on a full busted body.
Might this be a telling response from the review of the blue version -
Would you sew it again? Maybe.
[/size]Would you recommend it to others? It’s a fine pattern if you want a sack type dress! [/color]

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 22:26:20 PM by Morgan »

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 22:28:09 PM »
Not a flattering look...I love smock type dresses but find it’s more flattering coming from just under the bust

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 22:31:22 PM »
Gathers are one of the things high up on my list of things not to wear. They cannot help but add bulk wherever they are but above the bust is an especially difficult area if, as I do, you want to minimise rather than maximise.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 00:25:53 AM »
Annie, here's the best advice I ever read. It was from a book on picking the most flattering styles for your body, after you used a ruler to meticulously determine where you were bigger than typical, smaller or just typical or perhaps balanced. I wish I could remember the name of it.

It was for every feature of your body, be it broad or narrow shoulders, large or small bust, and on down the line. She gave suggestions for emphasizing or diminishing a feature with no judgement, so we could decide. Like Mae West and Dolly Parton always emphasized their large busts. She left it to us to decide how we wanted to interpret our shape and what to feature. Best advice I ever read.

That said, I do think a large bust would be noticeable in that dress. It also depends on the shape of your bust, it's sagginess :'( and what lies beneath, i.e. the Belly. On me, I'd anticipate it resembling 1960's maternity wear. Not a look I want. It also looks very much like my Favorite dress from my teen years, except it had straight sleeves and a little pinafore apron attached. I loved that dress back then.  :loveit:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 08:09:32 AM »
Not only are there gathers, the dress has a high neckline. I avoid those in favour of lower necklines and V-necks which I find are more flattering for my larger bust.

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 08:52:33 AM »
Yup, I'm with @Puzzler , V necks are my favourite neckline as it elongates the neck, I'll do a scoop neck occasionally but will lower it as Puzzler says.  I wouldn't make anything with gathers near the bust myself, I'd look as though I was expecting a happy event (miraculous at my advanced age).

But you could do it as a nightie, if you wanted to try out the look yourself in the privacy of your own home!  you may not have as large a bust as I do, nor as, ahem, saggy  :S 0_0

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 09:56:37 AM »
Thanks to you all for your comments and, not surprisingly, I have made the decision not to buy this pattern as its not going to be suitable for me. 
Annieeg :D

Ohsewsimple

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 17:14:48 PM »
@annieeg if you change your mind you still have 370 days to get the deal!!! (countdown clock on the website) so much for it being pattern of the week.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 19:58:04 PM »
@Renegade Sewist is this the one? 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flatter-Your-Figure-Step-step/dp/0285633694

I think so! It's quite hokey, all being line drawings, and quite dated but really an excellent guide to help the individual decide what they want to emphasize or make go away. After all, some gals with a big bust or booty want to call attention to it, as it's a big part of their self identity. I'm thinking of some of the media celebrities and performers we all over the internet and tabloids at the market as a good example. Others might want a more androgynous appearance. This book doesn't judge and doesn't tell you what you should be correcting to have a more "perfect" figure. In that respect she is ahead of her time.

I highly recommend sourcing a copy of this book to look at. My local library has it.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 15:55:32 PM »
I think so! It's quite hokey, all being line drawings, and quite dated but really an excellent guide to help the individual decide what they want to emphasize or make go away. After all, some gals with a big bust or booty want to call attention to it, as it's a big part of their self identity. I'm thinking of some of the media celebrities and performers we all over the internet and tabloids at the market as a good example. Others might want a more androgynous appearance. This book doesn't judge and doesn't tell you what you should be correcting to have a more "perfect" figure. In that respect she is ahead of her time.

I highly recommend sourcing a copy of this book to look at. My local library has it.

Should have said I already have it!  :). That’s why I recognised what you were talking about.  I agree it’s quite a good book.  So many times I have seen advice on what to wear if you have narrow shoulders, large hips ,big bust  etcc etc.  I always look at it and think 'mmmmm well if I wear that, I’m going against the advice for that part of me'.  So I just do my own thing.  This book is good because it catalogues a combination of body problems or shapes.  Who knew we could have more than one thing wrong with us? 0_0