The Sewing Place

Using Wonder Tape for knit fabric hems?

sewingj

Using Wonder Tape for knit fabric hems?
« on: January 22, 2019, 14:14:28 PM »
In her book "Stretch",  Tilly (and the Buttons) recommends using Wonder Tape for holding hems in place before stitching.  But as the Tape is only 1/4 inch wide wouldn`t that make a very narrow hem?

I usually use a strip of fusible stretch interfacing about 1/2 inch wide which works well and stops hems crinkling, but something that is sticky on both sides would be easier I think.

(NB. I don`t have an overlocker or coverstitch machine)

jesster

Re: Using Wonder Tape for knit fabric hems?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 14:29:24 PM »
I do as you do, especially with jerseys that like to curl at the hem.  Small pieces of wonder tape work to tack down areas prone to shifting.  I also use washable glue sticks for tacking down such spots.  The type sold for school use like this generally cost less than the "sewing notion" types.  The wonder tape is just to keep the hem in place while you're sewing, unlike the interfacing, which provides stability when washing and wearing.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 14:58:58 PM »
I use it at the raw edge (easier to keep the shape of the edge), then fold it over onto itself. This gives you a nice stable "turn-under" and you can then turn however much you want for the hem itself.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 15:09:54 PM »
I don’t use it...but I like 3/4 cm hems on my knits, less chance of curling. I always press it up then tack in place before coverstitching...bit of a pain racking but saves time in the long run.

Morgan

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 15:12:08 PM »
the washaway wondertape only holds the fabric in place and prevents it shifting - think of it as substitute tacking.  (I love the stuff)
You can make the hem as narrow or as deep as you wish.

applying interfacing stabilises the fabric edge and it's up to the individual whether the whole hem depth is stabilised or just the edge or line where the stitches will be sewn. 

fusing interfacing to stabilise the hem (and edge) and then using wondertape to hold it in place whilst it's stitched holds everything super secure for stitching.  Ideal for very troublesome and tricky fabrics.