The Sewing Place

Lined skirt with invisible zip - construction order?

SewRuthieSews

Lined skirt with invisible zip - construction order?
« on: January 22, 2019, 20:49:30 PM »
I've cut out a lined skirt which will have an invisible zip and a straight waistband with a button.
I don't normally line skirts, and have deviated quite a bit from the unlined skirt pattern its based on so can't really follow their instructions.

If possible I would like a neat finish on the inside with lining, waistband and zip all sewn by machine if possible.

Is it possible to achieve this, and if so what is the required construction order?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

SewRuthieSews

Re: Lined skirt with invisible zip - construction order?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 21:43:18 PM »
Thanks I will have a read of that link and see how it goes.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:02:21 AM »
Make up lining,
Make up skirt including zip but not waistband
Turn both inside out ,lay side by side, zip openings  together  (makes sure they end up right! )
Pin opening on lining over zip tape on each side, stitch close to teeth
Turn skirt right way out over lining, tack together at the top (put in hanging loops now if you want)
Attach  waistband to front face of skirt, sew ends,  turn inside and stitch in ditch from outside
Buttonhole and button.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 14:01:17 PM »
OK I am back to working on this skirt now.
I will see if I can make it work!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 23:11:35 PM »
Ok the zip is now inserted and I've attached the waistband, just at the point where I need to stitch in ditch and do button/buttonhole so that's all good. I just ran out of energy so will tackle it tomorrow. I've found that sewing late into the evening the mistakes tend to multiply, so I stop now when I feel a bit weary.

Still got to sort out the hem and lining hem and back split (not a vent) so open to tips on that.
The lining is too long so needs trimming. I am thinking of hemming the lining and skirt separately, finish the split with topstitching and then either machine or hand stitching the lining slit to the skirt slit - but maybe better left free. I don't want pulling, but I also don't like seeing the lining through the slit.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 22:55:27 PM »
Done, just left the back splits free for now.

Thanks for the help