The Sewing Place

The Poppins Return Project 2019

b15erk

The Poppins Return Project 2019
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:26:25 AM »
The lovely Lilya has asked if I can make her a Mary Poppins outfit for her Easter trip to Disneyland Paris, and I couldn't resist!

I've sourced most of the fabric I'll need, it's not perfect, but I hope it will make up well.  I couldn't get anywhere near on the coat fabric, so settled for a Duvet cover which I hope will pass muster!

Dress Patterns are from the 80's and already cut as I made them for DD first time around.  First one is Style 1117, and then for the bodice, Burda 5148.

The coat is a very basic Burda style 12/2012 #156 which I can tweak until I get what I want. I think the buttons may cause some head scratching though....

The bag will be and interesting project as I haven't made many bags.  Lots of videos have been watched, and the first toile (just to sort the pattern), is underway.  The fabric will be a mighty challenge of strip piecing - wish me luck!!  :o :S

I'll put some pics up later, but that's it for now.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

Re: The Poppins Return Project 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 11:21:40 AM »
The biggest part of this project up to now, has been research, and mainly the bag!  So, I've started that first.

I've chosen the Retreat Bag pattern as a starting point, and I thought it would be a good idea to reproduce (as far as I'm able), the fabric of the bag.  Was I mad?

This is proving time consuming, and just getting the proportions right is a headache.  Not to mention the fabric choices....

I've started by making strips for the front flap which I'm just going to sew over the main fabric, but I'm conscious of keeping the bulk down.  The strips are being sewn onto some fabric I found in the stash which looks like a treated cotton, it holds its shape without being bulky, a good job really, as I don't need the bulk.

I've attached a pic of the strips I've done up to now.  They're OK, but not quite there yet....  I'll probably use them to practise with?

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 11:36:34 AM »
Is this a surprise for Lilya? If not, perhaps she would like to "design" her own fabric with some fabric paints?

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 11:41:34 AM »
D'you know SiT, that's not a bad idea....  :)

I think I've worked out the bag proportions, but the headache is, getting the fabric design to fit.  I may just run it past her at the weekend.

Jessie

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 11:46:28 AM »
When I was trying to rework the retreat bag pattern for some slightly different sized frames, I made a "toile" using brown paper. It was a bit tricky to get the frames in without ripping it, but it would make it easier for you to draft where the design features should go.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 11:53:57 AM »
Can I ask where you got the frame from SiT?  I'm planning to use wire coat hangers, because I haven't seen a frame big enough.

Great minds on the practise bag!  I've just cut a lining out and I've found some curtain remnants to use for the main bag.  I should be able to position all the features this way.

Jessie

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 12:10:30 PM »
I picked it up at Festival of Quilts a few years ago when I couldn't find the proper retreat bag frames, but I can't remember the supplier.

You can get larger hinged frames which are more traditional for carpet bags from various places (such as Bag Clasps) but you would probably have to change the casing size to accomodate them. However, they do snap shut quite nicely so you might not need a zip.

I used this type of frame when I was pattern testing a carpet bag pattern several years ago.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 12:28:23 PM »
I saw the Mommy Poppins bag when I was rooting around for ideas, and it looks a lovely bag.  Tbh though, the Retreat bag I think, will suit my purpose.

I'll be adding some pockets and other bits and bobs (after all Mary Poppins has to carry a lot of stuff!)

Fingers crossed the practise goes OK.

Jessie

StitchinTime

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 12:53:05 PM »
(after all Mary Poppins has to carry a lot of stuff!)

I think Mary Poppins would be better off with a trolley case so she doesn't do herself an injury carrying all that stuff  0_0

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 12:55:53 PM »
 :D :D :D

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 09:35:49 AM »
Progress is slow.  My client Miss Lily Poppins came to be measured, and approved all the fabric choices and styles.  We also decided on an extra outfit, a skirt and blouse style, to go under the coat.

The dress bodice pattern has been cut out, and a collar piece added.  It looks as if it will do the job nicely.

Coat pattern next.  I had a bit of a wobble when DD said Lil wanted the red coat, but when she saw the navy, she loved it. Phew...

Got to get some toile fabrics together today, and draw a skirt pattern piece.

Off I go! Spit spot!  :) ;)

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 16:02:19 PM »
Phew!!  That's 21/2 hours I'll never get back!  Burda patterns on the multi sheet are the work of Satan!!  It's left my eyes really sore, and I've needed copious drops....  but, it's done!!

I've now traced the basic coat pattern I'll be using for this project, and I can only see one alteration which will be needed - as long as the thing fits!!

I can now cut some toiles to get the size right, and to make some style changes. I'll be looking for some striped fabric so that I can get the stripes going as I want them.

The skirt and top I'm planning to make as a dress, and not separates, as it will be easier for changing purposes.

No sewing tonight.  OH is treating us to dinner, so I may have a glass or two of the old vino collapso, and it won't be wise to be in charge of sharp scissors!

See you tomorrow gals!

Jessie

annieeg

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 17:04:05 PM »
@b15erk
Cheers - have a great evening.
Annie :toast:

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 08:57:22 AM »
Had a lovely family meal last night although the roads weren't great, and people in cars were still being idiots - even in freezing fog!

I couldn't do anything when I got home as my eyes were too painful, but had an early night instead.

I found some suitable fabric for the coat toile this morning, and I've brought it into work - along with my pinking shears (it frays like the devil).  So, that should be cut out later.  I'm only doing the bodice for now, as the skirt of the coat is straightforward.  I need to 'Poppins'  the collar (just tweaking the style), but also, to make sure the stripes sit correctly.

I'll have a look for some toile fabric for the bodice later, but that should be pretty straightforward.

I may pop into my local fabric shop later as I have banking to do, just to make sure it's still there you understand?  Certainly not to buy anything.....  ;) ;)

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 09:07:08 AM »
Well, I didn't manage to cut out the coat toile, I decided the fabric wasn't as suitable as I first thought, so I'll have to find something better - something I can make marks on, and which drapes like the 'proper' fabric.

Instead, when I got home, I cut out the dress bodice, and have nearly got it sewed together.  From what I can see though, it looks a bit big.  Lilya is quite petite, and very slim, although she has had a bit of a growing spell.... so, we will see when she tries it on.

I'll put some pics up later, but up to now it's gone together very well.  I'm using the Burda 5148, with a small alteration to the shape of the bottom bodice.

More later.

Jessie